The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jan 15, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #5,266 of 6,326
bright would be insinuating it adds that. I listen a/b to TT and TT with GSX and I don't get that. However i will acknowledge that some users are not in favour of GSX transparency. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #5,267 of 6,326
  bright would be insinuating it adds that. I listen a/b to TT and TT with GSX and I don't get that. However i will acknowledge that some users are not in favour of GSX transparency. 

Agreed...unless that brightness is "upstream"...then the GS-X Mk2 won't mask it, just amplify what's coming in. Measurements on innerfidelity.com bare this out as well.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #5,268 of 6,326
Hello fellow music lovers,

My first post here as I contemplate my foray into the head-fi universe.

I have a very high performance loudspeaker system (sealed with active crossovers) and have assembled sources and amplification with an eye towards sonic neutrality.

I am considering a Headamp GS-X Mk with Focal Utopia headphones. My source is the MSB Technology Signature DAC IV Plus.

Would DHC Prion4 cables for the Utopia headphones remove another layer of sonic coloration?

Thank you in advance for your shared wisdom and experience.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #5,269 of 6,326

I have a very high performance loudspeaker system (sealed with active crossovers) and have assembled sources and amplification with an eye towards sonic neutrality.

I am considering a Headamp GS-X Mk with Focal Utopia headphones. My source is the MSB Technology Signature DAC IV Plus.

Would DHC Prion4 cables for the Utopia headphones remove another layer of sonic coloration?

Try asking on (this) thread as well.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #5,270 of 6,326

Hello chromazones,

would you mind elaborating a bit on your high-performance loudspeaker system? I am slowly gearing up getting into loudspeakers. To make the decision for me a bit simpler, I'd be interested to learn from your experience. Thanks for helping out!

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5,271 of 6,326
DHC prion 4 works well with HD800S. I have not heard utopia and with 250 ohm difference, i don't know how so efficient headphones would perform. However i have experience with DHC Compliment 4 SE and was very impressed, prion 4 balanced is exceptional. 
No idea about speaker set ups but I'm still grooving on GSX MK2 with TT in my set up.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #5,272 of 6,326
Had a wonderful listening session with Till Brönner's 'The Good Life'. The album is 24/96 and has a phenomenal SQ. A true joy for the GSX Mk2 to process such finely recorded material!

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,273 of 6,326
Had a wonderful listening session with Till Brönner's 'The Good Life'. The album is 24/96 and has a phenomenal SQ. 

You can't tease us like that!  I had to go find a YouTube clip to give the track a quick audition.  

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #5,274 of 6,326
Sorry T Bone, should've included a video! Just patched the album cover from my iPad while listening. It's amazing to hear that a German trumpet player is so much into the American Jazz Songbook! Wouldn't have expected hearing those classical Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday songs interpreted this well by a European! And again, the recording is stellar!

Sorry if off-topic! But since I have the Gsx Mk2, I just stopped looking for any other amp. So good is this piece of equipment!

You can't tease us like that!  I had to go find a YouTube clip to give the track a quick audition.  

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #5,275 of 6,326
Hello chromazones,

would you mind elaborating a bit on your high-performance loudspeaker system? I am slowly gearing up getting into loudspeakers. To make the decision for me a bit simpler, I'd be interested to learn from your experience. Thanks for helping out!

Hello,

My speaker solution comes from Australian manufacturer SGR Audio. When I had a listening room I used to make some money from selling the product. I am hoping to build a dedicated listening room later this year at which point I may resume my representation of the product. I don't believe in shilling products on forums so I wanted to be as transparent as possible. Having said that, I was a customer long before I was a sales representative for the product.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #5,276 of 6,326
Never heard of SGR audio, but for a European, not surprising, as Australia is faaaar away!

Being an avid headphone listener, I am itching in getting into loudspeaker area. I think, having the choice of switching between headphones and loudspeakers, makes the audio hobby more interesting. And besides, I'd love to see how the GSX mk2 preamp sounds when connected to a power amp!

I'll take my time to select the proper power amp and particularly the speakers! So it's not down the road immediately to switch to speaker territory, but I have a vague idea what the components will be.

Hello,

My speaker solution comes from Australian manufacturer SGR Audio. When I had a listening room I used to make some money from selling the product. I am hoping to build a dedicated listening room later this year at which point I may resume my representation of the product. I don't believe in shilling products on forums so I wanted to be as transparent as possible. Having said that, I was a customer long before I was a sales representative for the product.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #5,277 of 6,326
Never heard of SGR audio, but for a European, not surprising, as Australia is faaaar away!

Being an avid headphone listener, I am itching in getting into loudspeaker area. I think, having the choice of switching between headphones and loudspeakers, makes the audio hobby more interesting. And besides, I'd love to see how the GSX mk2 preamp sounds when connected to a power amp!

I'll take my time to select the proper power amp and particularly the speakers! So it's not down the road immediately to switch to speaker territory, but I have a vague idea what the components will be.

I use the GSX Mk2 as preamp feeding a First Watt M2 into SF Cremona's and the resolution of details is almost on par with the HD800 using a dual 3-pin balanced set up. As it has been said several times over the source quality is crucial. The GSX will just tell it like it is. If it gorgeous, it will sound so as well. I am very happy listening via headphone or speakers with the GSX Mk2 as one center piece.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #5,278 of 6,326
I use the GSX Mk2 as preamp feeding a First Watt M2 into SF Cremona's and the resolution of details is almost on par with the HD800 using a dual 3-pin balanced set up. As it has been said several times over the source quality is crucial. The GSX will just tell it like it is. If it gorgeous, it will sound so as well. I am very happy listening via headphone or speakers with the GSX Mk2 as one center piece.

Super, fantastic, that's the answer I was looking for: the GSX Mk2 as the centre piece being the turning point for headphone/speaker territory! Very glad you said that!

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,279 of 6,326
I'm using the GSX Mk2 as a pre-amp into Classe CTM-600 amps with KEF Reference 201/2 speakers.  It was an upgrade over my previous pre-amp. 

IMO, it would be hard to go wrong using the GSX Mk2 as the pre-amp in a first journey into speakers.  And the GSX Mk2 probably wouldn't be out of place through several amp / speaker upgrades.

I agree with icebear - don't scrimp on your source.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #5,280 of 6,326
I'm using the GSX Mk2 as a pre-amp into Classe CTM-600 amps with KEF Reference 201/2 speakers.  It was an upgrade over my previous pre-amp. 

IMO, it would be hard to go wrong using the GSX Mk2 as the pre-amp in a first journey into speakers.  And the GSX Mk2 probably wouldn't be out of place through several amp / speaker upgrades.

I agree with icebear - don't scrimp on your source.

Something I have in mind is the combination wyred4Sound's ST-500 Mk2 amplifier and Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-2 loudspeakers. The ST-500 Mk2 can be run in balanced mode, while the Sierra 2 has some very sound reviews gained over the last years. But I am certainly open for other suggestions. The room the speakers are going to be placed isn't very large, so floor standers are definitely too large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back