The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #5,281 of 6,326
Something I have in mind is the combination wyred4Sound's ST-500 Mk2 amplifier and Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-2 loudspeakers. The ST-500 Mk2 can be run in balanced mode, while the Sierra 2 has some very sound reviews gained over the last years. But I am certainly open for other suggestions. The room the speakers are going to be placed isn't very large, so floor standers are definitely too large.

I would be surprised if you weren't quite pleased with that combination.  It would be a killer first speaker system based on what I read about those speakers. It is also impressive that Ascend posts measurements of their speakers - that speaker looks to be a pretty easy load for an amplifier.

The other popular speaker I've listened to in that price range is the KEF LS50 which would also be good in a smaller room, but it is somewhat picky with regards to amplification.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #5,282 of 6,326
Don't sleep on actives. I have both multiple actives and passives. They each have their benefits and disadvantages. For example, ATCs (SCM50 ASL and above like 150s) are a good example of active done right. They are heavy for a reason. The power supply and cabinet is top notch.

Then there are also companies like Amphion that design their product with cables, amp, speakers, and base extensions in mind to not have to do guessing and still reaping on the benefits of passive design. Two+18 w/ BaseOne25 is a really good full range system. Bricasti is using that combo to design their next products.

You can get really great full range systems in the $10-$30k range that will truly be high-end to satisfy you while retaining high performance-value (IMO and IME). I'm a big fan of the pro market in this range. Of course, there are plenty of audiophile companies that go in the $100k region, but most people aren't touching that.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #5,283 of 6,326
I would be surprised if you weren't quite pleased with that combination.  It would be a killer first speaker system based on what I read about those speakers. It is also impressive that Ascend posts measurements of their speakers - that speaker looks to be a pretty easy load for an amplifier.

The other popular speaker I've listened to in that price range is the KEF LS50 which would also be good in a smaller room, but it is somewhat picky with regards to amplification.

I've read many good things about those speakers! I won't order them tomorrow, I'll take some time. But my decision is made towards venturing into speaker territory. Of course, headphones shall remain when I feel like listening to my music in a concentrated manner.

I'll keep you posted about my next steps!

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #5,284 of 6,326
I have just ordered a GS-X Mk2 and Focal Utopia headphones. Auditioned the combination for over two hours with no fatigue or discomfort. Despite reports from some that the combination is bright I found it to be extremely transparent to both the source and the recording. I wouldn't have it any other way. Will post photos once it arrives and is set up.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #5,285 of 6,326
I have just ordered a GS-X Mk2 and Focal Utopia headphones. Auditioned the combination for over two hours with no fatigue or discomfort. Despite reports from some that the combination is bright I found it to be extremely transparent to both the source and the recording. I wouldn't have it any other way. Will post photos once it arrives and is set up.

I responded on the Utopia thread, but in case you missed it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811273/focal-utopia-a-little-elear-impressions-and-discussion/2115#post_13233114

Congrats on a brilliant pairing!

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #5,286 of 6,326

Wow, sounds like a fantastic combo! Looking forward to your pictures! Financially, though, I would never drop this much money for headphones. But being crazy from time time is also a good thing. Do enjoy the combo!

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #5,287 of 6,326

Do you know what DAC was used when you auditioned it? Very important in my experience.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #5,288 of 6,326
Do you know what DAC was used when you auditioned it? Very important in my experience.

A Metrum Pavane DAC was used for the audition. Not sure how my MSB compares but I am yet to find anything I prefer in terms of resolution, focus, and frequency extension. That is why I was looking for the most transparent headphone/amp combination.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #5,289 of 6,326
Get the Yggdrasil.......   
L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #5,290 of 6,326
Get the Yggdrasil.......    :L3000:

Yggy has never impressed me as anything above average before, probably because every time I hear it it's through a Schiit amp, but I'll give it special attention today

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #5,291 of 6,326
  Get the Yggdrasil.......   
L3000.gif

Yggdrasil sounds better with tubes than solid state in my opinion. I'd rather pair Metrum Pavane or Holo Audio Spring DACs with the GSX MK2 than Yggdrasil

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #5,292 of 6,326
  I'd rather pair Metrum Pavane or Holo Audio Spring DACs with the GSX MK2 than Yggdrasil

The Non-Oversampling mode on the Holo Spring is magic with my GS-X mk2.  It sounds great and is priced attractively.  

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5,294 of 6,326
Feb 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #5,295 of 6,326

Try coaxial perhaps?  The find the USB input on the Yggy to be a tad bright.  Hate to recommend it but a better and warmer sounding USB cable can be your solution.  

Problem is most of my high res files are on my iMac. 

Sorry...I don't understand "warmer sounding USB cable"? I'm using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable...and digital cables make very, very little differences IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back