The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #4,351 of 6,326

sry, was a temp solution...

fast question to owners: is it me can't notice any volume/level difference between balanced/unbalanced outputs?
also, approx burn-in time to get best from it: 300 hours will do the job???

If you're using the AMR for the DAC, it's SE.  It has XLR outputs but the DAC is a SE DAC. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #4,352 of 6,326

If you're using the AMR for the DAC, it's SE.  It has XLR outputs but the DAC is a SE DAC. 

right now I'm with Moon 280D DSD DAC (fully balanced) XLR connected and can't hear any level diffference;
later will try with Exasound E22 but I suppose will get same results...

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,353 of 6,326

If the source is balanced, then yes there is a 6dB bump up for balanced.  If the source is single ended... single ended out regardless of where you plug in.

The amp already have 10+ days of burn in when you got it.  Once it's warm, you're good.  Essentially an hour to warm up, overnight to get to the best performance.

Just tested connecting both SE and XLR out from the same dac to the GS-X SE and XLR inputs.
Using HD650 with both tock SE cables and stock Sennheieser XLR cables.
When using SE out to the phones I can hear no difference if I set the input switch to SE or XLR.
When using XLR out to the phone I do hear a difference when switching between SE and XLR input.
I have only be testeing for an houtr or so but it doesn't seem like a difference in SQ to me, just louder output.
Can anyone confirm this?

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,356 of 6,326
Louder and that the performance difference really only translates into more power on tap since the single ended performance is already overkill.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4,357 of 6,326
Louder and that the performance difference really only translates into more power on tap since the single ended performance is already overkill.

mmmh ... I can deal with the GS-X single ended at full volume on a hd650 though. My Dacca has a fixed output with nom controls.

Edit: Just discovered the gain switch ... :D

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,360 of 6,326
After trying the balanced/unbalanced options the GS-X opffers with the HD650 I plugged in the LA-900 and simply relaxed for an hout listening to Dian Krall on DSD.
It was joy to hear through this amp, glad I made this choice for a SS amp.
And in red it's a marvel to look at as well, really well built and nicely finished, solid and gorgeous. Well worth the wait! :)

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #4,361 of 6,326
  We now have the HE1000 in stock and ready to ship at HeadAmp!  Buy with a GS-X MkII and you get $500 off through the end of July.

I'm actually listening to this combination right now and it is AMAZING!!!!

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #4,362 of 6,326
I love the black and red colors from the GS-X! Other than the Da Vinci dual dac, I can't think of another desktop DAC that would have similar colors as to the GS-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back