The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,381 of 6,326
  I guess I'm a bad-luck guy. Upset indeed
frown.gif

I received my GS-X mkii this afternoon.  All as good as expected until the 4-pin XLR jack was inserted. I heard obvious sizzle noise from the left earspeaker, louder when I volumed up or chose higher gain setting. I tried different input lines and jacks, and the noise appears when XLR input and the 4-pin jack are used. The problem exists on the left channel.

Since I've got no double three balanced lines at hand, not sure if the noise would be there when those two jacks are used.

Over 10,000kms away from Justin
confused.gif

send me an email so i can help figure this out

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #4,382 of 6,326
frown.gif

I received my GS-X mkii this afternoon.  All as good as expected until the 4-pin XLR jack was inserted. I heard obvious sizzle noise from the left earspeaker, louder when I volumed up or chose higher gain setting. I tried different input lines and jacks, and the noise appears when XLR input and the 4-pin jack are used. The problem exists on the left channel.

Since I've got no double three balanced lines at hand, not sure if the noise would be there when those two jacks are used.

confused.gif

I have a strong suspicion that it might be the jack itself (unless you've already ruled this out by switching in another 4-pin jack).   I think you might also need to exclude any problems with the left headphone cable that connects the 4-pin to the headphone -- a loose or poorly soldered wire in either the connector or cable might cause what you hear.   I really doubt it's an internal problem with the xlr circuitry in the amp itself but you would need to borrow a  headphone with a double 3-pin xlr jack to rule this out. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #4,383 of 6,326
frown.gif

confused.gif

So ... what's the word on your sizzeling ?
Have you and Justin been able to figure out what is/has been the reason?

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #4,384 of 6,326
Now I'm a lucky guy.
tongue_smile.gif

The problem has been ruled out and my new GS-X mkII proven to be perfect! The cause of the noise lies in the balanced module my CD player......unexpected......It suddenly gets a cold.

Thanks for Justin, and the suggestions by twsmith, icebear, ogodei
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #4,385 of 6,326
Any recommendations for active monitors for nearfield use to pair with the GS-X?  Preferably ones that can be placed against walls (yes, I know not recommended).  Budget would probably be $2k used.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #4,386 of 6,326

Any recommendations for active monitors for nearfield use to pair with the GS-X?  Preferably ones that can be placed against walls (yes, I know not recommended).  Budget would probably be $2k used.

KEF LS50 are much storied and right in your price range. Yah, it is not great to put them against the wall but they at least come with inserts to enable precisely that. I am happy with mine. I am using the GS-X mk2 as preamp, with the Audio-GD Precision 1 (input direct to power amp).

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,388 of 6,326

The Emovitva Stealth 8s and I believe they are $750 each new. I have the 6" version of the non-stealths and they sound incredible balanced to my PS Audio Perfect Wave Dac mkii. 

I plan on getting the Stealth 8s when I can afford them. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,389 of 6,326
  Any recommendations for active monitors for nearfield use to pair with the GS-X?

No complaints here with the Dynaudio other than single ended inputs would have been nice to avoid using adapters.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #4,390 of 6,326
  I am really interested on this too. I am really considering it, but it will take more than a month...I will pass.

I wwas told 4 or 5 months and had to wait 9 monts. I got over it and am damn glad I did. This amps is so much better than any SS amp I owned, even the Luxman P-1u that costs €3200 here in Europe. Compared to the other SS amps I owned they all sounded sterile, the GS-X brings life to the music. It stands out from the crowd. 
Still burning in and experimenting with balanced but what I heard so far was worth the wait and price.
And the build quality is on par with the Luxman amps to me, which says a lot. Less heave but just as sturdy with even nicer finish.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #4,391 of 6,326

I love my Focal Solo6 Be.  Since I had to get out of line for the GS-X I can only vouch for how they sound with my Benchmark DAC2 HGC, which is absolutely fantastic.  I don't have them up against a wall, but they are front-ported which should be ideal for your use.  I realize they are $2,700 new, but I bet you could find a used or demo pair as they are fairly popular.  

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #4,392 of 6,326
I wwas told 4 or 5 months and had to wait 9 monts. I got over it and am damn glad I did. This amps is so much better than any SS amp I owned, even the Luxman P-1u that costs €3200 here in Europe. Compared to the other SS amps I owned they all sounded sterile, the GS-X brings life to the music. It stands out from the crowd. 
Still burning in and experimenting with balanced but what I heard so far was worth the wait and price.
And the build quality is on par with the Luxman amps to me, which says a lot. Less heave but just as sturdy with even nicer finish.

I plan on ordering the GS-X MK2 at one point. I would be very curious how it compares with the Luxman P-1.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4,393 of 6,326
How does this amp compare to LiAu?

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #4,395 of 6,326

Users who are viewing this thread

Back