The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3,436 of 6,326
I sold the GS-Xmk2 I had a couple of months ago, but when I had that amp the first headphones I tried were my HD-600's, and at that time I was using them with the stock cable. I did though get a silver 4 pin custom cable for the HD-600's and found that cable made a big improvement to the SQ.
So those new owners of the GS-Xmk2 should ( IMO ) consider getting their headphones in balanced mode, unless of course they are already in that mode.

Have you heard the HD800 with a balanced cable when you had your GSX-MkII ?
I am burning in the Norne Vanquish (dual 3pin XLR + Sköll SE adapter into e20 DAC) since 3 month - just the GSX is missing
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3,437 of 6,326
Have you heard the HD800 with a balanced cable when you had your GSX-MkII ?
I am burning in the Norne Vanquish (dual 3pin XLR + Sköll SE adapter into e20 DAC) since 3 month - just the GSX is missing
wink.gif

No, because with me having the 009's driven by the BHSE I didn't feel the need, but I've heard some say the HD-800's sound a lot better in balanced mode using the GS-Xmk2.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #3,441 of 6,326
  Definitely one of the 4 amps still on my radar. But half a year to a year before you actually get it at the moment? Or did I understand that wrong?

Year and 1 month for me so far....

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,442 of 6,326
Allright, so what's the situation right now?
Form what I understand a batch was finished over a week ago. Any amps still available?
If not, and I place an order now, what do I have to expect?

Oh, I also saw a red version of the MKII in this thread. So custom colors are possible?  

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,443 of 6,326
  Definitely one of the 4 amps still on my radar. But half a year to a year before you actually get it at the moment? Or did I understand that wrong?

No that's about right, give or take 6 month
wink.gif

Allright, so what's the situation right now?
Form what I understand a batch was finished over a week ago. Any amps still available?
If not, and I place an order now, what do I have to expect?

Oh, I also saw a red version of the MKII in this thread. So custom colors are possible?  

As far as I know... the current "2013" batch is still not fully completed and sent out to everybody. Deadline was late 2013.
Any new signup could possible enter the 2014 batch which hopefully will be completed this year.
Colors are achieved by anodizing the aluminum front panel. Standard choices are clear (silver) or black.
Adjusting the current in the process can result in different colors. Exact matching of any target is difficult for that matter. Color might cost extra in the future?

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,445 of 6,326
OK, I'm getting convinced and am narrowing down my list.

Two more questions:

- If I use SE inpot can I use balanced headpone output, and vice versa?
- Is there a comparison of this amp with the WA5 on HF or has anyone had both amps?

95% of my listening is done with TH-900 and ATH woodies, so the amp I need should be the one that is best for that kind of phones.
Sound preference is somewhat euphonic and I hat sterile sound but I love a black background.
Choices have been narrowed down to GSX and WA5 and just about everything else relevant has been considered.
And yes, I know these do not need the power but they do need the quality.
Any advice to help me make this choice is really welcome!

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,446 of 6,326

Two more questions:

- Is there a comparison of this amp with the WA5 on HF or has anyone had both amps?

95% of my listening is done with TH-900 and ATH woodies, so the amp I need should be the one that is best for that kind of phones.
Sound preference is somewhat euphonic and I hat sterile sound but I love a black background.
Choices have been narrowed down to GSX and WA5 and just about everything else relevant has been considered.

The gsx-mkII will sum balanced to single end, so I imagine the converse is also true. If I understand correctly, however I don't think there is much to gain going SE in to balanced out. (this is speaking of the headphone amp and active preamp. With loop out what you input on what you output;this is the definition of loop outs).

Wa5 vs gsx-mkII I'm sure I read something on the woo topic. I think maybe ask dubstepgirl?

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,447 of 6,326

Two more questions:

Frank I compared the GS-X and Woo WA5 here

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,448 of 6,326
Found it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/30585#post_10752167

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,449 of 6,326
The gsx-mkII will sum balanced to single end, so I imagine the converse is also true. If I understand correctly, however I don't think there is much to gain going SE in to balanced out. (this is speaking of the headphone amp and active preamp. With loop out what you input on what you output;this is the definition of loop outs).

Wa5 vs gsx-mkII I'm sure I read something on the woo topic. I think maybe ask dubstepgirl?

Found it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/30585#post_10752167

Thanks, I hadn't read that post yet, good info. But reading further in the thread made me re-add the Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 to my list. (the post was about the Bakoon HPA-21 though, but from all I have been reading the Japanese amp should be better for my phones).
DSG already gave me some good info here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-and-gs-x-mk2-thread/3405#post_10753582

Frank I compared the GS-X and Woo WA5 here

Thanks, I had already read that one though.
But his comparison with the Woo applies only for the HE-6. At the end of the comparison part he mentions that the GSX shines with all other cans.
That's a bit the problem I encounter whenever I search for comparisons on these amps, they are always tested with a HE-6, LCD or HD-800 and the phones I use are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I did find impressions on them with the TH-900 though, but never a comparison.

To recap my findings so far:
- Headamp GS-X MKII: 
  Advantages: about the best SS amp around, pairs very nicely with TH-900.
  My worries: maybe more on the analytical side of neutral, too clean for me?
- Woo Audio WA5:
  Advantages: Top tube amp, pairs well with the TH-900 as well, more to the euphonic side of neutral.
  My worries: maybe background noise due to being too powerful for the TH-900?
- Bakoon HDA-5210mk3: 
  Advantages: always described as very good with TH-900, black background, warm mids, more euphonic than the others.  
  My worries: probably not on the same level of the GSX or WA5.
  I don't need the most juicy amp though, just want the best quality and matching with my kind of phones.

Decisions, decisions, ...  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back