The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 11, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #2,978 of 6,326
didnt even know about this, watching now..

When I asked Peter if he would be available to work the booth that weekend, I didn't consider making a video for the press to be part of that task!

I thought he did a great job but you can almost see where they spiced out the parts where they were talking about you. :)

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,980 of 6,326
Looks great. Can't wait for my red to arrive!

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,982 of 6,326
A lot has been said and discussed about the wait time for such a beauty.
Tyll's comments and Justin's description about the selection/matching process for the parts make it seem that the wait time at the customer end is part of the process to achieve what the GSX-MkII is. Hopefully one of the best value TOTL SS head phone amplifier out there... 
It always take two to party. Here a builder quality obsessed (I regard that as a compliment
beerchug.gif
), not settling for "good enough/ within specs " and pushing the limits of a design and there customers willing to wait until it's finished when it's finished.

Just trying to stay motivated and tame my excitement, as patience runs low seeing the 2013 batch going out the door and mine will be in the 2014 batch
redface.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,983 of 6,326
I totally agree with you icebar. I prefer to wait longer, knowing that the object of my hobby will be built with great attention to the smallest details, and that no things will be botched. 
So we must be patient, which I think motivates Justin, who give the best of himself. The satisfaction of these customers must represent something special and know that the products are built to be even be much appreciated around the world. 

If everything goes well, we should get around September 2014, perhaps a bit more soon.

Jazz59 
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,985 of 6,326
Don't hate but....

It's burning in!

I am fortunate enough to live in Virginia and a when I placed my order a year ago Justin and I agreed on a local pick up combo with an LCD3 for a HeadFi meet.  As you all are well aware there were unforeseen delays. The delay gave me a chance to get to know the LCD3s and the amp is currently burning in (with me listening to it passively). I'll probably talk more about the sound at a later point, but suffice it to say this amp is rock solid (and after seeing all the colors, I'm jealous of the people who ordered Red!).  The 2+ hour drive there and back was well worth it!

Justin's work space is off a sleepy road in a cluster of other buildings in a nondescript part of Charlottesville. From the outside you'd never think there are some seriously high end gear in the building, but I think that goes along with Justin's humble and unassuming nature. The whole line about everything being hand tested is not hyperbole folks, I watched one of his guys hand test the JFETS one at a time! We talked a little about his history and how he got hooked up with Dr Gilmore's design over a decade ago when he started headamp (he just asked the good Doctor and Doc G said ok!).

When I asked about the biggest challenge for him that's causing the slow down in production, Justin indicated that sourcing components ended up being the biggest limiting factor. He pointed out a few of what seems to be BHSE and indicated that sourcing parts, such as the aluminum panels, took over 2 years!  When I asked what was the problem with the panels, Justin was nice enough to show me a 'reject' black panel and at first glance it seemed fine to me. It seems, however, the grain did not go the way Justin liked and when placed side by side with a 'good' panel the difference is very much evident. If Justin just said 'forget it, let's use the panels anyhow!' I don't think most of us end users would know the difference and he would have sold a bunch of them. Such a small story that evidences Justin's dedication quality!

At any rate, I wanted you guys to know that the amps are coming and well worth the wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back