The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3,003 of 6,326
So I have balanced inputs to the GSX and connected the loop out to a speaker amp: no sound. So does the loop out only work for similar input/outputs (eg RCA loopout only works on RCA inputs and balanced loop out only works on balanced inputs)?  The preamp side works ok, but I'd rather try to avoid double amping if possible. Confirmed it's completely passive, eg RCA-loop-RCA and Balanced-loop-Balanced (and they both work with system powered off - Had to dig out some longer RCA cables to test this).

And what is the fuse rating on this bad boy?... I may consider getting an 'audiophile' fuse for this bad boy! 

Thanks, Justin.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,006 of 6,326
  140 of 240 modules w/ matched transistors. Still left:
- Do the other half
- Solder those transistors in place
- Add the LEDs
- Put in amplifier, electrically test
So at least 1 more week on that

Hi Justin, Your work is progressing well.

It takes how many modules for a GS-X?
Jazz59
atsmile.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3,007 of 6,326
If I'm not mistaken it take 4 modules per amp:
Two per channel left /right and one each for + / - wave.

This process reminds me of Leica.
I can't think of any other product with the same level attention to detail and squeezing the max. potential out of a design.
They are doing it with optical lens design, Justin is doing it with head amps
beerchug.gif
I recently talked to a Leica technician as I was dropping off a camera for fixing something. They also have long wait times for some new products and for repair turnaround. Their main issue is finding enough skilled people or people who are willing to learn the skill and constantly push themselves to a quality level that is just not common anymore. I guess a GSX-Mk II could also bear the "red dot" (just from a quality perspective that is
wink.gif
).

I am sure we are all happy with the head amp logo
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,008 of 6,326
This process reminds me of Leica.
I can't think of any other product with the same level attention to detail and squeezing the max. potential out of a design.
They are doing it with optical lens design, Justin is doing it with head amps
beerchug.gif
I recently talked to a Leica technician as I was dropping off a camera for fixing something. They also have long wait times for some new products and for repair turnaround. Their main issue is finding enough skilled people or people who are willing to learn the skill and constantly push themselves to a quality level that is just not common anymore. I guess a GSX-Mk II could also bear the "red dot" (just from a quality perspective that is
wink.gif
).

Definitely; these amps are a work of art inside and out.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #3,009 of 6,326
Having joined the gsx mk ii club recently, I will say that it is definitely worth the wait. All the talk of the amp being one of the very best is not hyperbole.

I have never heard my HD800 sound this good in my setup. Indeed, the gsx mk ii is transparent to the source and you will be rewarded if your source components are up to scratch. Heck, I was pleasantly surprised that even a recent change in the powercable of my DAC yielded very positive change to the overall SQ of my set up. Bass went deeper and tighter, background was blacker and instrument placement more precise. I was amazed at the difference it made. For those looking for power cables, do check out audio art power cables. Highly recommended!

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,010 of 6,326
Having joined the gsx mk ii club recently, I will say that it is definitely worth the wait. All the talk of the amp being one of the very best is not hyperbole.

I have never heard my HD800 sound this good in my setup. Indeed, the gsx mk ii is transparent to the source and you will be rewarded if your source components are up to scratch. Heck, I was pleasantly surprised that even a recent change in the powercable of my DAC yielded very positive change to the overall SQ of my set up. Bass went deeper and tighter, background was blacker and instrument placement more precise. I was amazed at the difference it made. For those looking for power cables, do check out audio art power cables. Highly recommended!

How does it compare to the WA22 - IYO?

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #3,011 of 6,326

How does it compare to the WA22 - IYO?

Initial impressions, the GSX has more of most things. More transparency; separation and micro-detail, deeper bass; more textures in bass notes, more dynamics, including micro-dynamics. Surprisingly, the GSX has an incredible sweetness to the upper frequencies, almost tube-like and very unlike most SS amps I've heard (this is testament to a well designed SS amp). That being said, the WA22, with the right tubes, isn't a slouch either. The WA22 has that tube lushness in the midrange and excellent PRaT; it's incredibly musical and draws you into the music; although not as neutral as the GSX. Technically, the GSX is the better amp but for me, both are keepers.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,012 of 6,326

Yes, the impact of powercord is significant, you don't even need a GSX to tell the difference.
The craziest powercord I've tried in my system is Nordost Odin, I could never imagin a single piece iof power cord has the ability to bring the whole system to a complete different level. Warning: do not try unless you have the wallet as it costs more than a fully loaded BHSE

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,013 of 6,326
Yes, the impact of powercord is significant, you don't even need a GSX to tell the difference.
The craziest powercord I've tried in my system is Nordost Odin, I could never imagin a single piece iof power cord has the ability to bring the whole system to a complete different level. Warning: do not try unless you have the wallet as it costs more than a fully loaded BHSE

Yeah, I get fantastic results with Shyunyata Alpha power cords.  I use the Alpha Digital on the DAC and Transport and Alpha Analog on the amplifier.  Highly recommended . . .   shop around for a good price . .

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,014 of 6,326
Yes, the impact of powercord is significant, you don't even need ed a GSX to tell the difference.
The craziest powercord I've tried in my system is Nordost Odin, I could never I'magin a single piece iof power cord has the ability to bring the whole system to a complete different level. Warning: do not try unless you have the wallet as it costs more than a fully loaded BHSE

I would be skeptical if I heard that last week :wink:

Since I got the audio art power cable, I am now a believer. It has transformed my system from 'high end' to 'end game'. Just as you said, a whole new level. So great a difference it made that I'm going to replace all the cords in my system to the higher audio art SE model.

Nordost Odin? I shudder to think.. :eek:

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,015 of 6,326
Are these powercord effects based on blind A/B listening tests? Shouldn't be that hard to setup such a test if you have a buddy or significant other to help. Sounds like the GS-X would be a perfect instrument to collect such data ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back