The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,128 of 6,326
May 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,129 of 6,326

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Justin --- any updates on the second batch 

Why do you nag? Justin Wilson already has stated the time. There's no reason to nag before the stated time is out. Be patient, or opt out.

All he did was ask for an update / stauts.  Anything could have come up.  Must be your first time to the rodeo as well.

All in due time. I believe patience is a virtue and polite.

I've "known" for some time that my Headamp delivery would be on the hottest day of the year.  That is around June 20th 110* in the shade. . . .
devil_face.gif

May 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,130 of 6,326
May 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,131 of 6,326
Quote:
The photos below are of a small rack I had made to separate my GS-Xmk2 's amp section and PSU.

David...

did you find this mini-rack gave enough distance to fully remove noise from the power supply when using sensitive headphones (say IEM)?  My initial placement had the PSU and amp separated by what looks to be a similar distance, but I could still hear noise if I turned up the volume above what would be normal listening levels). I found noise completely disappeared when I put the PSU on my bottom shelf of my rack which provided overkilling but an effective 15" of space.

--Mark

May 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,132 of 6,326
Quote:

David...

did you find this mini-rack gave enough distance to fully remove noise from the power supply when using sensitive headphones (say IEM)?  My initial placement had the PSU and amp separated by what looks to be a similar distance, but I could still hear noise if I turned up the volume above what would be normal listening levels). I found noise completely disappeared when I put the PSU on my bottom shelf of my rack which provided overkilling but an effective 15" of space.

--Mark

Hi Mark,

I haven't listened to the GS-Xmk2 since I put it on the new rack, but I have the Shure se535's so I'll have a listen soon and post my thoughts.

Dave.

May 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,134 of 6,326
Quote:
If other GS-X users are interested, maybe we can make a group order and get the price down . . .

i've wanted a similar style rack for the Aristaeus amps.  i'm assuming 35 pounds ($55) must be a friend price for David.  i couldn't get a shop to turn on a machine for less than $300

i would definitely be interested in having racks like this made, though shipping from the UK would not be practical

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,137 of 6,326
I've had a listen to my GS-X using my Shure se535's and my HD-600's.
First with the mini rack, and then with the amp section on the top shelf of my main audio rack with the PSU in the same place, and I found no difference between the two positions, I even separated both units by over 3 feet, and there was still no difference. The interconnects I used were XLR's.
Using the volume knob as a clock, with no volume being 7 o'clock and full 5 o'clock, I first tried the se535's.
With no music playing and on the low gain setting, I started hearing a slight humming at about 12 o'clock which increased going to 5 o'clock. 
I didn't try the se535's on the other two gains because IEM's are supposed to be used mainly on low gain.
As I've said, I did hear a humming around 12 o'clock, but when I started listening to some music, the highest I could go was 10 o'clock, but only for a short time. If I was to listen at that volume all the time, I'd end up going deaf.
I was also using my main source.

I then tried my HD-600's and again there was no difference between using the mini rack and the amp section being on the top shelf. This time I used the HD-600's on the medium gain, and again with no music playing, I could take the volume knob  to full and I heard nothing. I then listened to some music and the highest I could go to was around 11 o'clock.
I did try the HD-600's on the high gain and humming came in at about 4 o'clock.

If anyone would like to do a similar test to what I've done, just make sure the music doesn't come on while the volumes on full. 

P.S. I'd further like to say, I've put leather on the bottom of each of the four legs, and also on the eight metal feet which both units sit on.

May 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,140 of 6,326
Quote:
i've wanted a similar style rack for the Aristaeus amps.  i'm assuming 35 pounds ($55) must be a friend price for David.  i couldn't get a shop to turn on a machine for less than $300

i would definitely be interested in having racks like this made, though shipping from the UK would not be practical

This is the mini rack I have ready for the Aristaeus. That too was made and powder coated by the same places.

The rack cost me £20, and the powder coating was again £10.

I'm not saying Mick [ owner of the shop that did my audio racks ] would charge the same as he does for me, to anyone else other than his friends, but he's not greedy so he wouldn't charge much more. Same with the powder coating owner.
However Mick's main job is making gates, and he's also very busy so making audio racks wouldn't be his main priority, also that rack in the photo is 5 Kg, so shipping to the US would probably cost more than the rack.

If anyone would like me to ask Mick on whether he'd be prepared to build any racks for anyone, I could do that, but I can't guarantee anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back