The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,417 of 6,345
Listening to Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D with the HD800 on the GSK Mk11 and man Heifetz sure could play. this is the RCA  Living Stereo sacd. if anyone want to hear masterful musicality this is ht disc and the GSX Mk 11 is letting me hear the en tire recording as it was recording. magnificent performance.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,418 of 6,345
  Listening to Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D with the HD800 on the GSK Mk11 and man Heifetz sure could play. this is the RCA  Living Stereo sacd. if anyone want to hear masterful musicality this is ht disc and the GSX Mk 11 is letting me hear the en tire recording as it was recording. magnificent performance.

2 weeks ago a head-fi friend came round with his HD800. I've heard the HD800 quite a few times previously at meets and never really like them enough to consider the purchase.... However when I tried them with the Femto>GSX-mk2 I was absolutely amazed how good they sounded compared to my previous auditions it was like I never listen to them before. For acoustic and classical it was very hypnotic and beautiful.....

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2,420 of 6,345
March 22nd here. Looks like we're all having our one year anniversaries.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,421 of 6,345
March 22nd here. Looks like we're all having our one year anniversaries.

Hang in there buddy...your X-Sabre will thank you for it!

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,422 of 6,345
I pre-ordered my black, 220v, DACT version 18 march, 2013
rolleyes.gif

It was still batch one price back then, but had to pay in full.

Yep, I've got batch one price too, fully paid.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #2,423 of 6,345

2 weeks ago a head-fi friend came round with his HD800. I've heard the HD800 quite a few times previously at meets and never really like them enough to consider the purchase.... However when I tried them with the Femto>GSX-mk2 I was absolutely amazed how good they sounded compared to my previous auditions it was like I never listen to them before. For acoustic and classical it was very hypnotic and beautiful.....

Yeah - much better than those TH900s.  Surprised you haven't tried more headphones with that awesome DAC/Amp setup..

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #2,424 of 6,345
hey now!  not to long ago, you were a Woo girl! =p

:evil:

I still enjoy some woo audio products, but i am more critical and more aware of their flaws and issues,

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,425 of 6,345

I agree, They sound excellent.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2,426 of 6,345

Yeah - much better than those TH900s.  Surprised you haven't tried more headphones with that awesome DAC/Amp setup..

Overall I wouldn't say better, the TH900 is a good all rounder and very forgiving with bad recordings, where the HD800 is not, but excels in certain genres

Haven't tried anything much lately because I've been totally satisfied with my current setup, and been putting every spare dollar into my new woodwork workshop. but I am looking forward to the near future trying out more HP's new and revisited

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,427 of 6,345

I am hoping that the GS-X MkII will produce a similar result when being fed by my e20 DAC. Already now driving the HD800 directly with the headphone output from the DAC I do not perceive any of the negatives that are often attached to the HD800. If the source is delivering a musical signal then the HD800 will sound good. If the source is crap the sound via the HD800 will sound just like that. I am glad you experienced how the HD800 can sound.

One of the advantages of the delivery times 
wink.gif
for the headamp is that I have enough time to think about a proper balanced cable. I was initially pursuing DIY but now it looks like I will go for a Sköll (w. two 3 pin XLR's) from Norne Audio.

Does anyone have experience with cables from Norne Audio ( I know, there is a separate thread) specificly for the HD800 and ideally with the headamp?
Are there any advantages between two 3-pin XLR's vs single 4-pin XLR configuration for use with the GS-X MkII ?

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,430 of 6,345
  Just the convenience of a single plug over two. 

The single plug is also one less wire for cost

Thanks for your replies. OK, these are valid points of course but assuming the headphone will stay plugged in and the slightly higher cost for more cable and one additional plug might not be all that relevant when you have a GS-X MkII and a HD800 ...
wink.gif

My thinking was more in regards to SQ advantages.  Is the separation of the two cables for left and right channel (dual 3 pin XLR) potentially better ? It carries the balanced concept all the way to the drivers. Or does it not make any difference ? I guess, no one would have compared the exact same cable in both configurations as you rarely find an amp that offers single ended, balanced 2x 3 pin and balanced 4 pin. Serious issue, I admit
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back