The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,951 of 6,326
  Of the many balanced headphone cables for HD800 and T1, are there any favorites when paired with GSX?
I noticed that the Cardas Clear was not mentioned. I know that has a reputation for smoothing out the treble on the HD800 but not sure that effect is an advantage with GSX. 
Not so easy to try out a bunch of cables...

Even tough with the T1 since it is hardwired. Comments on both HD800 and T1 balanced cables with GSX appreciated.

I've had experience with two different balanced cables for my HD800s -- Cardas Clear and Stefan Audioart Endorphin.  My source is a Resonessence Invicta DAC through its own HP amp, which is itself an excellent and very neutral amp.   I liked both cables -- they both sounded great with the HD800s but in the long run, I ended up preferring the Endorphins.   It's difficult to say exactly why but I felt that the Endorphins sounded more like real music, with overall slightly better micro-resolution and imaging.   I don't think you could go wrong with either, and possibly one of them might actually sound a little better with the GSXII.   Both are approximately in the same range price wise.  Incidentally I would definitely go balanced with the HD800s -- there is a real improvement that is not subtle, in my opinion. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,952 of 6,326
I just ordered a balanced Q-Audio French Silk cable to use with my LCD-3.  Has anyone used the Q-Audio headphone adapter cables to use the French Silk with an HD-800?  I'd prefer to spend $50 on an adapter cable than $400+ on a completely separate headphone cable.

Can't wait for my GS-X MK2 to arrive.  The wait is excruciating. 
popcorn.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,953 of 6,326
I just ordered a balanced Q-Audio French Silk cable to use with my LCD-3.  Has anyone used the Q-Audio headphone adapter cables to use the French Silk with an HD-800?  I'd prefer to spend $50 on an adapter cable than $400+ on a completely separate headphone cable.

Can't wait for my GS-X MK2 to arrive.  The wait is excruciating. :popcorn:

I got them and work perfectly. Well built and don't feel them there at all when using my hd800 with the lcd3 cables.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,955 of 6,326
listening to beyerdynamic T1 with GS-X Mk2 tonight, wow, this amp is actually not a bad choice for the T1.

believe it or not, the WA2 is neck and neck with the GS-X mk2 when it comes to driving the T1. its hard to notice a difference. the GS-X mk2 is brighter though, but luckily theres no grain. the bass is VERY good though. 

mostly the GSX mk2 is neutral rather than adding a small silky sweetness to the sound and the mids seem different.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,960 of 6,326
  listening to beyerdynamic T1 with GS-X Mk2 tonight, wow, this amp is actually not a bad choice for the T1.

believe it or not, the WA2 is neck and neck with the GS-X mk2 when it comes to driving the T1. its hard to notice a difference. the GS-X mk2 is brighter though, but luckily theres no grain. the bass is VERY good though. 

mostly the GSX mk2 is neutral rather than adding a small silky sweetness to the sound and the mids seem different.

The source may be the bright one.  The WA2 may mask the brightness of the Mytek.  I got no brightness at all with the GS-X / PWD2 / T1

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,961 of 6,326

Can't wait for my GS-X MK2 to arrive.  The wait is excruciating. :popcorn:
Kinda like waiting months for Silver Widow?

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,962 of 6,326

This would be by virtue of the output impedance differences.  The WA2 will give the T1 and HD800 a boost centred on the 100Hz impedance swing.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,963 of 6,326

This would be by virtue of the output impedance differences.  The WA2 will give the T1 and HD800 a boost centred on the 100Hz impedance swing.

you mean because WA2 has like 60 ohm output impedance and the GS-X mk2 has really low output impedance?

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,964 of 6,326

The source may be the bright one.  The WA2 may mask the brightness of the Mytek.  I got no brightness at all with the GS-X / PWD2 / T1

i wouldn't say the mytek is bright, but just it reveals everything in the treble, unforgiving and ultra revealing. i don't notice brightness with my TH-900, LCD-3, hifimans, or HD 800. just the T1 seems to be a little brighter sounding vs. the WA2. its a small difference, but its there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back