The Head-Fi Philosophy: I don't get it
Jul 23, 2005 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 306

Yellowjacket

100+ Head-Fier
I don't get it. I understand indulging yourself in consumer electronics, but the extent to which people do it on these forums...is the difference is sound between the HD600 and HD650 really worth the $400?

I've had my HD280 for 4 years and felt like a change so I was looking at possible upgrades and when I found out Amazon was selling the HD600 for $200 I ordered them even though I had never heard them (I have since stopped at an AV retail store that had HD280 and HD600 and the HD600 did sound better).

I was thinking to myself earlier tonight, maybe $200 is a little too much...maybe I should be looking at the $100 price point.

But then I realized, the HD280 are $100 headphones (close enough).

So, what exactly am I missing?

Jul 23, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 306
I seriously think you can get a pretty good setup (headphone + amp + CDP) with less than a grand.

But like any other hobby, what seems to be a little for you is like a huge improvement for others.

Take me and watch hobby for example, I still don't quite get it why some people are willing to pay thousands of dollars for wristwatch that is not even as accurate (even as pretty) as the much cheaper ones...

All depends on what you appreciate.

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 306
The differences arent that big really, but people are prepared to pay even for small differences and thats their choice. People here are enthusiasts about music reproduction and will pay more for slight differences which to them make the experience better. For others (like myself), I am interested, but my level of acceptance is low enough to mean fairly entry level kit is good enough, and for me personally, high end is overhyped, but not for others. Then as you get further down, and this applies to more people, as long as some can just hear sound, thats good enough, and they dont care at all for quality.

Just think though, if nobody cared about quality, we wouldnt have any quality gear at all, and it would all be cheap consumer rubbish and we'd never know what was possible. Thats the way I look at it anyway.

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 306
I don't get it either. Seriously. But it's fun.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Just think though, if nobody cared about quality, we wouldnt have any quality gear at all, and it would all be cheap consumer rubbish and we'd never know what was possible. Thats the way I look at it anyway.

I agree.

I really don't see why a hundred dollars is that big of a deal if you really care about audio and have the funds. The enjoyment/price ratio is off the charts with headphones compared to most other things IMO.

Also, I think your headphones should be the most important consideration, and you should build your system around them. I would say the sonic difference between two headphones that differ in price from $100-400 will be much greater than the difference between two CDPs or two headamps (leaving crossfeed out of the equation) that differ in price within that range, certainly from a measurable standpoint, and also from a subjective standpoint.

As long as there is good synergy between your components and music, headphones are the place you shouldn't be as worried about wasting your dollars IMO.

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
I don't get it. I understand indulging yourself in consumer electronics, but the extent to which people do it on these forums...is the difference is sound between the HD600 and HD650 really worth the $400?

Hi mate ,
where have you been in the last 3 years ?
(
lambda.gif
)

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 306
a bottle of wine and a bottle of $5000 wine gets me drunk at approximately the same rate. to ME, a bottle of $5000 wine doesn't taste that much better than a bottle of $20 wine (certainly not a few hundred times better), yet i'm sure there are people out there who really appreciate a bottle of expensive wine!

It's not always about the objective relationship between quality and price. there is a certain emotional value of knowing that you're appreciating something that is above and beyond the grasp of everyone else. The price may not always be worth the objective change in quality, but in may be worth the emotional experience that you get knowing that what you're feeling or hearing or drinking is beyond normal; something really special

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
a bottle of wine and a bottle of $5000 wine gets me drunk at approximately the same rate. to ME, a bottle of $5000 wine doesn't taste that much better than a bottle of $20 wine (certainly not a few hundred times better), yet i'm sure there are people out there who really appreciate a bottle of expensive wine!

It's not always about the objective relationship between quality and price. there is a certain emotional value of knowing that you're appreciating something that is above and beyond the grasp of everyone else. The price may not always be worth the objective change in quality, but in may be worth the emotional experience that you get knowing that what you're feeling or hearing or drinking is beyond normal; something really special

Exactly, Thats why we are called audiophiles... we appreciate this stuff... just like the wine connoseur appreciates the $5000 dollar wine.

One thing that confuses me about yellowjacket... why do you have the hd600 and the 280pro if you cant understand the point of spending for the 650? you could have just gotten 5 dollar buds and still could hear sound. I dont get it!!!
Think of it this way, Lots of people think the 600 sucks and the 650 rules. so why spend half on crap??? even 2 pieces of crap don't add up to become the ruler. I hope the analogy makes sense

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 306
It's a hobby. People spend thousands upon thousands of dollars tuning their cars... for what? The speed limit is still 65 (or whatever it is in your area), there are still "acceleration laws". My stepmom collects dragon everything, and has spent thousands on statues, pictures, etc that sit around the house and that you cant even physically enjoy.

I'm definatly not as high-end as most of the people here, and I wish I was in a setting that allowed me to enjoy a broader selection of items (ie, open headphones... "home" amps, etc), but I really enjoy audio. Half the fun of my listening is searching for equipment, trying out new things, bardering off the items that I didnt enjoy, & reading up on stuff I'll never own.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 306
It's a sickness, an addiction. We get caught up trying to get better and better sound quality and lose sight of the fact that it's listening to the music that's important. Don't get consumed. Resist, resist, resist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back