The Head-Fi Members' Poll for In Ear Monitors 2020 [Please Read The Rules]

Would you like a Members' Poll each year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #106 of 237
I wasn’t aware this had to be a 2020 thing only?

I mean, I just got the BA10 in 2020, Eve though it came out a few years ago. But it’s still available today. Same with the Urbanfun. It’s available in 2020, even though it originally came out last year.

I thought this was a ‘best of earphones currently available in 2020’ list? It didn’t say otherwise in the rules. My apologies if I misunderstood.
It is ”best of” up until now. The IEM didn‘t have to be released or purchased in 2020. It’s just that the poll is a 2020 poll.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #107 of 237
It is ”best of” up until now. The IEM didn‘t have to be released or purchased in 2020. It’s just that the poll is a 2020 poll.

That’s what I thought. Ok, my candidates still stand

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #108 of 237

I mean, I just got the BA10 in 2020, Eve though it came out a few years ago. But it’s still available today. Same with the Urbanfun. It’s available in 2020, even though it originally came out last year.

I thought this was a ‘best of earphones currently available in 2020’ list? It didn’t say otherwise in the rules. My apologies if I misunderstood.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure about this either. My picks are based on what I bought in 2020. I know that the BLON 03 was released in late 2019. I'm unsure if they qualify. Kinda unsure of the rules for this thread. Maybe I missed something??

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #109 of 237
OK...just read the previous posts.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #110 of 237
Well finally going to take a stab at this and based only on what I own, I am no reviewer by a long shot but an avid audio enthusiast since I was 10 years old (Circa 1967) when my older brother sent me his hand-me-down stereo from his Army days in Germany.

Best single-DD IEM
<$50 = Tin T2 Plus
$50-$110 = PHONAK Audeo PFE-022
$110-$350 = TFZ Queen's
$350-$1000 = Advanced M5-1D
>$1000 = I'd never pay more than a grand (TBH probably $500) for any iem but that's just me setting a limit after spending thousands upon thousands over the years on home gear, for me I can't justify anything that can really only sound 15% better than anything else regardless the price but that's just me and I take nothing away from those who can and do :wink:

Also did not see this category so ignore my entry to the voting!
Best Dual-DD IEM
$50-$110 = Havi B3 Pro 1

Best all-BA IEM
<$50 = Brainwavz KOEL
$50-$110 = KZ BA10
$110-$350 = BGVP DM6
$350-$1000 = Who-Ha's (there I didn't say it):wink: HQ12
>$1000 = Refer to Single DD price category!

Best Hybrid IEM (2 driver types only, including DD+BA, DD+magnetostat, BA+EST, etc.)
<$50 = KZ ZS7
$50-$110 = BGVP DMG
$110-$350 = LZ A4
$350-$1000 = FLC8s
>$1000 = Refer to Single DD price category!

Best Tribrid or more IEM (any combination of 3 or more driver types)
$50-$110 = Still N/A on this one but open to suggestions
$110-$350 = LZ A7
$350-$1000 = IMR Opus Mia

NOTE: As a long time forum member I have amassed a lot of friendships with members and some Vendors. My Opus Mia's were a gift and a fine one at that. Not too mention they are the most expensive iem's I own. I have been in mini tours and enjoyed several CA's but since I have a price limit and don't own any of them they are not listed and you'll have to refer back to my comment on sub $350 iem's can get you 85% what any iem can produce (once again in my humble opinion)

p.s. I also forgot to mention I do realize these were not all 2020 purchases but if anyone is purchasing this many iem's in a calendar year you may need a therapy session :smirk: Not to mention I'd really have few entries myself and for me polling should be covering all categories with no blanks. This type of poll to me should be like for reviewers who have a plethora of iem's pass through their testing zone yearly:thinking: PURCHASING being the key word here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I've been away from audio for a few months, and I wanted to clarify something, there's actually an in ear headphone named for the part of the female anatomy, sometimes referred too as a “Who Ha?!?!?!?” wow, things did get a bit libertine during my down time!

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #111 of 237

Is it? I voted understanding it was a poll about one's best 2020 purchases but now it seems it's more like what's your all time favorites in 2020. Not sure which it is actually as I haven't read the OP too properly.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #112 of 237
Is it? I voted understanding it was a poll about one's best 2020 purchases but now it seems it's more like what's your all time favorites in 2020. Not sure which it is actually as I haven't read the OP too properly.

all time favorites (available in 2020)

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #113 of 237
all time favorites (available in 2020)

Well this was probably caused by me posting what iem’s I preferred most in 2020! As you know some of mine like the Havi that was not even a category or TA that you can’t even get anymore so a lot of the confusion you can blame on me:rolling_eyes:

@Wildcatsare1 , I thought “who-Ha” apropos for a banned seller but on the up side you can still get the HQ-12:smirk:

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #114 of 237
Well this was probably caused by me posting what iem’s I preferred most in 2020! As you know some of mine like the Havi that was not even a category or TA that you can’t even get anymore so a lot of the confusion you can blame on me:rolling_eyes:

@Wildcatsare1 , I thought “who-Ha” apropos for a banned seller but on the up side you can still get the HQ-12:smirk:

That would make more sense, not quite as fun, but far more logical.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #115 of 237
Perhaps, but tracking and compiling the data, then doing it again, etc is at another level of interest. I was wondering if there was more to it....a formal study etc. Tks.

Cheers!

I don’t remember there being time restrictions on lists? That’s a new idea I’ve not ever seen?

The reason this thread is pertinent results from what seems to have been dramatic progress? And while I only obtained a few IEMs in 2020, they are simply amazing. Not to be too mushy here, but it seems starting in 2020, our little hobby entered a new golden age............an age where the cheap stuff became spectacular and the expensive stuff went off the charts. The hobby was a completely positive thing in 2020....I feel.

The best thing this thread showcases is exuberant passion.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #116 of 237
You know I totally missed a 2020 purchase and like you I had very few iem purchases in 2020 anyway (COVID and just enjoying so many I already have) but I absolutely love the ThieAudio Legacy 3's so much so I'm finally going to my audiologist for molds to get them in a (and my first ever) CIEM. For under $200 it mat very well be the very best bargain in any CIEM :thinking:

LG 3 Swirly Birds.JPG

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #117 of 237
You know I totally missed a 2020 purchase and like you I had very few iem purchases in 2020 anyway (COVID and just enjoying so many I already have) but I absolutely love the ThieAudio Legacy 3's so much so I'm finally going to my audiologist for molds to get them in a (and my first ever) CIEM. For under $200 it mat very well be the very best bargain in any CIEM :thinking:

LG 3 Swirly Birds.JPG
Ayeee! I hear you, mane! =))
"ThieAudio Pouch" Re-Post (L3 + Monarch {+ [impendance] adapters}):
ThiePouch-smll.jpg

Sorry.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #118 of 237
Out of curiosity, what made you interested in creating this poll? Tks.

I am not guilty, it is them lot, @baskingshark, @IEMusic, and @Slater, yes, it was them lot who did it....I am innocent, I promise.
Seriously, it is down to The Team!

Quite honestly, like your curiosity, the concept was borne of curiosity but that was a seed. A mere seed, would not have got us anywhere without the brainstorms of The Team, who made it happen.

Perhaps, but tracking and compiling the data, then doing it again, etc is at another level of interest. I was wondering if there was more to it....a formal study etc. Tks

No, this is not a formal study of any sort, academic, intellectual or commercial. I am sure we would be happy to write a paper on it, if required....[No bad idea, too much work]....but the genesis is curiosity borne of pure pleasure in our hobby.

We tried to look at it from members' point of view, so when we came up against something we thought was a potential issue, we tried to find various ideas to address the various difficulties we foresaw, in other words, if you try and understand the users' perspective, you reduce the number of issues which might arise. That is credit to The Team.

Having said all that, we have to give credit to the Head-Fi Members' who, rightly, made the Poll theirs...and so it should be.

I do not think any of us imagined, at the outset, that Members would make it work so well. There were useful comments, suggestions and ideas, which we will take on board for the next, and hopefully there will be many more in the future.

Thanks guys, no time to applaud ourselves until it is all concluded....hopefully successfully.

On to the next stage.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #119 of 237
Cheers!

I don’t remember there being time restrictions on lists? That’s a new idea I’ve not ever seen?

The reason this thread is pertinent results from what seems to have been dramatic progress? And while I only obtained a few IEMs in 2020, they are simply amazing. Not to be too mushy here, but it seems starting in 2020, our little hobby entered a new golden age............an age where the cheap stuff became spectacular and the expensive stuff went off the charts. The hobby was a completely positive thing in 2020....I feel.

The best thing this thread showcases is exuberant passion.

I agree with you entirely, well said!

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #120 of 237

LG 3 Swirly Birds.JPG
Man I have been looking for a used pair of Legacy 3’s after reading about them. I just may bite the bullet and order a new set, I quite like the looks of the clock works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back