The HD800, from new... (initial findings)
Jan 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

oktapod

Head-Fier
Well, they're here. My wife kindly collected them from the dealer for me and I had an hour or so to listen to them last night.

Of course, being new and having sat in a warehouse for a while, they need to warm up and I expect the sound to change over the next 10 or 20 hours worth of listening. However, right out of the box they sound very nice indeed. Fast, detailed sound, great bass (though I can see how some people might regard their total lack of bloat as leanness - it's not, it's just without bloom or overhang). If anything, the sound is tipped a little towards the silvery, and the imaging is slightly diffuse. I'm willing to put these last too things down to the fact that they're new, cold and also that I'm running an inexpensive 5m i/c from the pre-amp to the head-amp. However, for the moment it's slightly over-bright and crystalline sounding - supremely detailed but probably needs to settle down a bit.

On the plus side, everything I've read suggests that they all sound slightly 'icy' from new - i.e. crips and bright but lacking some tonal warmth. The pair I demoed certainly had more tonal colour and warmth, so it could be break-in or it could be that cheap cable.

Overall, all that said and done, it's a worthwhile step forward from the AKGs I've been using, and very comfortable too.

I'm going to put some hours on it before my next update, but my HD800s (serial # in the 4000 range FYI) look to be as good as I'd hoped they'd be, and certainly the best phones I've owned (although probably second to the Orpheus which I once had a five minute listen to way back in the mid nineties)...

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for your impressions and congrats with your new headphones.

Not sure if I have seen it before in other threads, but my impressions, regarding image, seems to be in the same direction as yours. Every time I get the chance listen to them I cant figure out their image, but I guess its what you may like it or not and I just don't. Hoping, after a break in time, you will be back with bit more details, give them like 50 hours at least. Would be interesting to know more about later. Do you have any other headphones around, just for comparison. You mentioned AKG, but which one?

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 21
Not high-end AKGs - 171 Studio, which aren't quite in the same league. I've previously had a couple of sets of HD600s (one with and one without the Cardas cable) and a few older cans I forget. Seriously considered Stax, but in balance most people reckoned that I'd need to go to the Omega level to improve on the HD800 and I just can't justify that expense on headphones right now.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 21
Well, what you also could try are AKG K1000, even they are not that cheap either, but you can still run them from any decent speaker amp, if you own one of course. About stats. You should be able to audition them at most high end stores to see if they are really upgrade, comparing to HD800, but also if they are to your liking in the first place. Keep posting.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oktapod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not high-end AKGs - 171 Studio, which aren't quite in the same league. I've previously had a couple of sets of HD600s (one with and one without the Cardas cable) and a few older cans I forget. Seriously considered Stax, but in balance most people reckoned that I'd need to go to the Omega level to improve on the HD800 and I just can't justify that expense on headphones right now.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 21
No, for better or worse I am sticking with the HD800s. I'm not jumping to any conclusions over the sound until they've had a chance to settle in, but it's largely all very positive anyway right now. I am fairly certain that any minor quibbles about the sound will be due to break-in or the cheap i/c that I am using.

In a month or so we will be decorating then re-arranging the room that the hifi is in. AT that point I'll be able to locate the listening chair much closer to the amp, so I won't need my 5m i/c and will be able to use a much better 1m pair that I have.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 21
Well, they're sitting with approximately ten hours on them now, and they're up to room temperature (after probably sitting in a warehouse for a bit). Had a good listen last night before bed, and already they are changing - subtly, but in the right direction. Contrary to what I've read, I actually don't think they lose anything at lower volumes, and they're supremely detailed and even-handed. Sure, there's still that slight brightness and I suspect that there's more tonal colour waiting to bloom once they break-in a bit further.

One thing that I can say with certainty is that the bass on these things is fantastic - no bloat or overhang, deep as any sub I've heard* albeit without the 'in the chest' thing (understandably) but unlike the AKGs it goes away when it's not required (if you know what I mean) - i.e. no bloom or bloat. Wasn't even that aware of the AKGs doing this, but the HD800s show the AKG's deficiencies clearly.

I am fairly certain that anyone who finds issues with these headphones is more likely discovering some characteristic of their upstream system. So, if they sound lean it's likely that the system actually IS lean; if it sounds un-involving perhaps the source is over-analytical. That sort of thing. On my system, these things boogie!

* I once owned a pair of REL Stentors run in stereo, so I do know my bass

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 21
Sources: AVI Lab Series CD and Squeezebox+ (which is a very heavily modified Logitech Squeezebox in a two-box format). Also a vinyl system but it's in storage right now.

Amps: AVI Lab Series pre and power amps

Head-amp: Graham Slee Novo

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 21
Grats on your purchase. I also think 800's bass punch, quality are pristine. Quantity I find just right. Mine, north of 100 hours now.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks,and congrats.
Quote:

Sources: AVI Lab Series CD and Squeezebox+ (which is a very heavily modified Logitech Squeezebox in a two-box format). Also a vinyl system but it's in storage right now.

Amps: AVI Lab Series pre and power amps

Head-amp: Graham Slee Novo

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 21
Congrats and enjoy! They only get that much better in time! Mine have around 250 hours and they are outstanding.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Well, they're here. My wife kindly collected them from the dealer for me and I had an hour or so to listen to them last night.

Of course, being new and having sat in a warehouse for a while, they need to warm up and I expect the sound to change over the next 10 or 20 hours worth of listening. However, right out of the box they sound very nice indeed. Fast, detailed sound, great bass (though I can see how some people might regard their total lack of bloat as leanness - it's not, it's just without bloom or overhang). If anything, the sound is tipped a little towards the silvery, and the imaging is slightly diffuse. I'm willing to put these last too things down to the fact that they're new, cold and also that I'm running an inexpensive 5m i/c from the pre-amp to the head-amp. However, for the moment it's slightly over-bright and crystalline sounding - supremely detailed but probably needs to settle down a bit.

On the plus side, everything I've read suggests that they all sound slightly 'icy' from new - i.e. crips and bright but lacking some tonal warmth. The pair I demoed certainly had more tonal colour and warmth, so it could be break-in or it could be that cheap cable.

Overall, all that said and done, it's a worthwhile step forward from the AKGs I've been using, and very comfortable too.

I'm going to put some hours on it before my next update, but my HD800s (serial # in the 4000 range FYI) look to be as good as I'd hoped they'd be, and certainly the best phones I've owned (although probably second to the Orpheus which I once had a five minute listen to way back in the mid nineties)...

Just because the bass 'lacks' quantity doesn't mean it's lean.. As said before, the HD800 presents the bass more accurate then many other headphones on the market today.. So, they sound bass lite by comparison..

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Congratulations and thanks for the insightful review -- succinct with none of the BS and vacuous hyperbole that generally prevails here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back