The HD800 could be the next giant
Jun 7, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #16 of 35
If Sennheiser plays it right, they could get quite a few speaker-based audiophiles to discover high end headphones for the first time. Unfortunately for Senn, but not necessarily for us, they didn't couple the HD800 with a matching headphone amp as they did with the HE90/HEV90 combo way back when. Whereas the market wasn't ready for a $15k headphone/headamp combo in the early 90s, it's more than ready for a $3k combo at this point.

For Head-Fi loyalists, it doesn't really matter because we have all sorts of awesome amps to choose from at this point, and its nice that Senn's efforts weren't in any way distracted from the HD800s themselves--because they sure did it right! At the same time, even though a lot of the early HD800 sales will be Head-Fi based, the broader market yet to be explored are the long-time audiophiles who have yet to discover this aspect of the hobby and/or take it seriously.

Let's face it, for walk-in retail customers who are not internet freaks like us, the HD800s will seem to be crazy expensive--especially when they plug them into the headphone jack of their receivers. So in a sense, we're the only crowd that "gets it" and understands that a fine musical instrument like the HD800 will terribly under perform without being placed in a system that will allow them to shine. Other long-time audiophiles will "get" this, but I think they'll need to be coached a bit in terms of what else is out there in the headphones world, and too many of them have turned a blind eye to it for too long that Sennheiser can't realistically expect to tap into this (much broader than Head-Fi) market without doing some coaching in their market efforts.

As a stand alone product the HD800 is great, but with a matching amp it could have gone a lot further in terms of market penetration. Even if they included some simple statements in their literature about allowing their experts to recommend an appropriate headphone amplifier (or to that effect) it would help to send that important message to the uninitiated audience--and that's the vast majority of people who will encounter the HD800s in one way or another through their marketing efforts.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #17 of 35
Not all sure about that.
But we will have to wait and see what happens in 2010...

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #19 of 35
Gibberish. HD800 will never make it into the mainstream, as there is no demand for such product amongst average Hi-Fi users, and its price tag is aimed at headphone enthusiasts, period. There will be a few more columns about it in the Hi-Fi press when it finally becomes available in Europe, but that's about it.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you see stunning gorgeous women modeling them, you will not be laughing.

I don't think I'll be able to get up, will be laughing so hard. I may even barf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well wasn't the K1000 Stereophile's product of the year just a year or two ago? They review headphones and I'd bet they will review the HD800. Maybe big in Hi-Fi mags but pop culture? That's pushing it.

Still doesn't matter. Outside of a very small population, most people don't find the reviews very credible. Especially since almost all the reviewers are in their 50s and have lost a lot of their ability to hear, which is on a scale of apocalyptic irony. I mean their reviews are so lame, even Moon 6, Stereophile, all lame. I find them hilarious to read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 pretty much did was all that, and so was the GS-1000, so why not the HD800 or PS-1000 or what comes out next.

Being a Grado Fanboy, only you would think this. You are right, there is a fair number of people who know what AKG K701 is, mostly because AKG being a credible audio company outside of this small headphone community. Very few people know what the GS1000 this, never mind what the hell Grado is. Can find K701 being mentioned in hobby forums, gaming forums, but you won't find Grado. Even talking casually, if I say AKG K601, plenty of people go, Oh that german company, they make good stuff. May have to say it's actually Austrian, but doesn't matter. But when I mention Grado... blank faces. Actually I've only seen one Grado outside of these forums, in Montreal. Seen ZERO Grados around Boston. And haven't met a single person who knew what Grado was. Met plenty who knew Sennheiser, AKG and Audio Technica though.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gibberish. HD800 will never make it into the mainstream, as there is no demand for such product amongst average Hi-Fi users, and its price tag is aimed at headphone enthusiasts, period. There will be a few more columns about it in the Hi-Fi press when it finally becomes available in Europe, but that's about it.

You are forgetting the potential use as a professional monitor - The HD 600 and 650 along with the AKG K701 are also popular in this area, although designed as hi-fi headphones.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are forgetting the potential use as a professional monitor - The HD 600 and 650 along with the AKG K701 are also popular in this area, although designed as hi-fi headphones.

See the biggest problem I see is how people listen to music now. At least my generation, people around my age, don't listen to music anymore. I am the only person I know who will actually sit back and listen to my music. Rest of my friends and acquaintances, music is background music. When they treat their music so casually, I really don't see any reasons why they would care about the HD800, even if it's used in the studio.

Expensive speakers still have an advantage of not being on your head. Can become background music as walking around doing whatever, or for use when guests are over and parties. Headphones, yeah horrible for all those situations.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Sennheiser plays it right, they could get quite a few speaker-based audiophiles to discover high end headphones for the first time.

imagine a nightclub, where everyone wore HD800's, and danced with them on. no speakers

sorry, that was a bit of a tangent. but imagine that.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It already is a giant in the world of headphones. Moot issue. Head-fi members alone could snap up 5000 units per year.

Not in this economy though. Many are being affected by this ecnomic downturn. I, for one, will wait out a bit before making the HD800 purchase. $1400 is still a lot for a pair of headphone for most people. I'm in no rush of getting the HD800 as it should be available for a long time.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a stand alone product the HD800 is great, but with a matching amp it could have gone a lot further in terms of market penetration. Even if they included some simple statements in their literature about allowing their experts to recommend an appropriate headphone amplifier (or to that effect) it would help to send that important message to the uninitiated audience--and that's the vast majority of people who will encounter the HD800s in one way or another through their marketing efforts

I totally agree. I think the HD800 is going to attract the attention of many people who normally wouldn't be interested in high end headphones. Unfortunately this means they probably have very little knowledge of amps. This is going to lead to confusion and probably some resentment that they will now have to spend additional money on an amp to realize the full potential of the HD800.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree. I think the HD800 is going to attract the attention of many people who normally wouldn't be interested in high end headphones. Unfortunately this means they probably have very little knowledge of amps. This is going to lead to confusion and probably some resentment that they will now have to spend additional money on an amp to realize the full potential of the HD800.

Right, so what exactly do you think is going to attract those people that did not attract them in other headphones? Bear in mind the first press reviews, and reviews will be just about all that those potential new customers will ever get to see about HD-800, place them on similar level as e.g. the GS-1000. So what's so different about the new Senns that would make them a breakthrough into the mainstream Hi-Fi product, that is lacking in the forever niche HP as the GS1000 no doubt is? Monitor type signature? Maybe for professionals, as John Willet suggested, definitely not for an average user. So maybe their looks or marketing? Neither of course, as they don't look cool enough, are too expensive and bear no hip-hop star's name.
Some anime product placement possibly?
wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #29 of 35
If the HD800s were made by Apple, they may have a mainstream/cult chance
smily_headphones1.gif
Otherwise, are they really that revolutionary to cut through? I don't think so. I haven't seen the B&W Nautilus speakers featured in any movies or become cult, but they could arguably have been compared to the HD800s in terms of being cutting edge at their release, at the upper edge of the $, and drool material to audio nuts.....

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #30 of 35
Although HD800 is clever but I would not put it in the catagory of cutting edge as Nautilus. At $1400 + the price of a quality amp + decent source would hardly make it mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back