The HD280 Pro - Redundant but I don't Care.
Apr 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

yklee118

100+ Head-Fier
I have been a heavy user of this rather aged yet well taken care of pair of Sennheiser HD280 Professional closed headphones owned since 2002. I finally dug out the receipt for this headphone and I purchased this unit in Hong Kong during the high-end audiophile show located at the Harbor shopping center on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong. February 12th 2002 was the fateful day. I spend a good chunk of cash (149.00 USD + 19%VAT by Hong Kong standards). Before joining Head-Fi, I have been very much loving my HD280s. Right After I joined Head-Fi, I have been supporting those who enjoy having these phones.

Now after reading the numerous opinions of fellow Head-Fi members citing that this headphone is rather bad can be stated as an opinion. Burn-in of headphone soley depends on many factors. Some brands and their models break-in faster than others. The AKG K701 is a fine example of a long break-in. I have owned these HP since October of 2008 based on my first audition of them four months prior in Chino Hills California. I like many of the aspects of the headphone except the rather overwhelming harshness that is associated with it when listening to rather rich mid-range vocals and instruments. After owning the K701 for a little over five months and more than 2000-hours, I thought they have no more room for improvement. I posted a thread of a simple modification that literally removed the brightness and harshness factor. Now they feel very much like the Sennheiser HD650, but without the overly warm feeling.

The HD280 is one headphone that requires much time before they can be labeled as fully settled. I have posted comments about these headphones citing that it requires an unbiased ear to fully appreciate these headphones. Seven years of having these headphones shows how much love I still have for these closed headphones. My average usage per day come to six hours (based on an actual seven day per week cycle) so after all the math, that is a total of (+/-50hrs) 15,330-hours to this date. I do not turn them up to loud nor do I listen to them softly. The last 5000 or so hours have seriously opened up the soundstage of these headphones. Without the extreme frequency range comparison to the HD650, the HD280 that I currently own sound crisp with a very three-dimensional quality to them with the same tight bass, middle, and high-frequency response.

I listen to mainly classical with occasional hints of jazz and rock & roll. When listening to the 1812 Overture performed by Erich Kunzel in 2000 (a Telarc DSD release) toward the last five minutes of the instrumental piece, the digital cannons have a more realistic three-dimensional placement as versus when the headphones were at around the 7000-hour mark (I keep track just about that is).
darthsmile.gif
The swells in the horns and strings followed by the cannons feels as though the listener is actually there. This based on my observation. Many who have listened to my setup with the HD280 have cited that once they were very hateful with the 280s are now understanding how much time is truly needed with this particular headphone.
k701smile.gif

When new, the HD280 Professional doesn't have any real character. In fact lifeless and dead would be the most accurate description of these headphones. Then again, if the consumer wants the most unbiased and most accurate representation of the sound character, then I would guess that a newly purchased HD280 with more than 300-hours yet less than 5000-hours would be the best time for the analytical minds of the recording industry (my friend who still works for TVB in Hong Kong told me that their recording department replaces the HD280s every year to retain the dead sound that they are use to). I may be wrong in that last sentence, however I have had these headphones and have listened to changes in its character over the course of the seven years and I have to say that the HD280 ages rather well.

Some members have cited that my ears must have burned in to the sound of the HD280 in order for me to praise it as such. That is not the case fortunately. If I have the guts to purchase so many wonderful headphones such as the HE90 Orpheus with amp (I still have it and won't sell it so don't ask), The AKG K701 with lite mod, the HD650 with Cardas upgrade, the newly purchased and received (unopened as of yet) Sennheiser HD800, and the Audio Technica ATH-W1000. I love how each of them reproduce the music that I play through them. Each have their own character so I really can give a good review for each and every one of them. The sad thing is that none of them are really portable like the HD280.

I guess I am too long winded. I hope that I can add some more to this, however for now this will have to do. I also hope that this thread doesn't get completely buried just because a noob decided to post something that can be considered commentary of objectionable material. Until then, post away.

Have great day
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 17
The HD 280 pro was my first "high-end" headphone and I enjoyed it for about 2 years before I bought the HD650. In fact sometimes I still enjoy listening to it, especially in noisy areas. I never thought it was as bad as some people claim it is, but after reading so many threads on this forum there will always be mixed opinions (Snake oil cables anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif
)
(Note: I have never tried replacement cables for my HD650's so I have no idea if cables really make a difference)

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(my friend who still works for TVB in Hong Kong told me that their recording department replaces the HD280s every year to retain the dead sound that they are use to).

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm a big fan of these headphones, and you obviously have alot of affection for them as well, but I had to laugh when I read the parenthetical above.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Aside from the audible background hiss with my main amp, I still enjoy my HD280s. There are especially well suited to travel, since my portable CD player can drive them quite nicely without an amp.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 17
I've got a pair of Grado 325i Goldies, a new pair of Senn HD650s and I will still bust out the HD280s from time to time. Personally, though, I feel they need equalization to lessen the midrange. You must simply like their very forward mids, then.
smily_headphones1.gif

For their price range, they have great bass extension and detail, and are somewhat more refined than their competitors. Plus they can practically isolate you from a gunfight, if you're in the habit of exchanging sporadic gunfire whilst listening to music.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 17
While it may not be as fun as my MS-1, it definitely doesn't lack any bass and is quite detailed. I definitely agree with you that burn-in with these phones takes quite a long time. Definitely improves with an amplifier. My only gripe is it's extremely deathgrip tight fit, which makes it feel heavy and cumbersome after about an hour use

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a pair of Grado 325i Goldies, a new pair of Senn HD650s and I will still bust out the HD280s from time to time. Personally, though, I feel they need equalization to lessen the midrange. You must simply like their very forward mids, then.
smily_headphones1.gif

For their price range, they have great bass extension and detail, and are somewhat more refined than their competitors. Plus they can practically isolate you from a gunfight, if you're in the habit of exchanging sporadic gunfire whilst listening to music.

The mid range as of late has backed off a bit. Now pretty even with the still very tight bass and upper frequencies. I do not use an EQ and I pretty much amp the headphones with either the Little Dot MKI or the C&C Box+ (recently replaced the battery from 750-maH to 1100-maH). Very transparent with excellent soundstage.

As for the clamping headband, I think I have grown accustomed to the near vice grip that the HD280 exerts, however that said I have had to revisit that feeling when the plastic portion meets the main rubber cladded metal spring broke (crumbled would be a better choice of words). Using metal steel strength epoxy and lots of electrical tape to form a newly reinforced headband, now the HD280 professional closed headphone clamps with the force of a newer model. That is how much love that has been put into this headphone. Most people that I have known would not spend that much effort citing that this would be the worse headphone on the planet to be built out plastic rather metal, and that it should be put out of its misery. That is just crazy talk. A good headphone should have a good balance of sound and build, however it would seem that build quality would be on par with their lower end spectrum lineup while the sound quality up with the higher-end of the spectrum in Sennheiser's headphone series.

This is a keen and rather unbiased observation since I have had and still own the collection in my profile (with quite possibly another headphone on the way if time and money permit).

I hope to keep this thread going, however that is only possible if people are interested in the opinion of this rather nutty headphone headcase. Have great week everybody. Stay healthy. I going back to Germany for work in about a week so I will be able to answer to this thread sometime over the next few weeks.

Have a great week and again stay healthy
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 17
I just got back from a trip to Adelaide, and really enjoyed listening to some Eric Bibb through my HD280 with my little iRiver MP3 player on the plane both ways. Definitely a good travel 'phone.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Plus they can practically isolate you from a gunfight, if you're in the habit of exchanging sporadic gunfire whilst listening to music.

That's me! Fending off the HD 280 haters! When I rock out with them, I'm always on the defensive.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

you have the exact same 3 headphones as me, grado 325i's, sen 650's, and hd280s. I love them all, grados for fast action detailed music, and senns for everyday use. hd280's are my work headphones.

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 17
I second the Original poster's observations and listening passion on the HD 280 Pro.
I received mine just about 10 days ago and I am loving it. I don't have the many words to describe all it's features. Even though well below the 50 hour mark, it becomes very clear, these are outstanding hp's.

I feel very pleased to be on the journey of burning them in. I know they only get better.

I like the snap and the directness of the HD 280's character.
The bass is volume rich and drives with clear accentuation. Yes, some records are thin, but that's not the 280's fault

I wonder what's wrong with those who can't hear the bass in the HD 280.

I also aquired the HD 555 along with the 280, I just wanted to know.
It is the pleasure of comfort that soothes, listening with the HD 555.
Perfect for Movies and musical listening while doing other stuff.

I find the HD 280 by far more thrilling and exciting.
For direct, compulsive, intensified, compassionate listening, the HD 280 Pro is unbeatable.

I have yet to find a recording that wouldn't come across with unaltered original quality.
I mostly listen to sounds of the 60's and 70's, all of which are digitally remastered from analog recordings.

I love the strong instrumental qualities, this hp projects into my ears.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have the exact same 3 headphones as me, grado 325i's, sen 650's, and hd280s. I love them all, grados for fast action detailed music, and senns for everyday use. hd280's are my work headphones.

Sorry to post off-topic, but this is too good a chance to pass up: I've got the HD 650s, the HD 280s and the SR 125s, so I'm almost like you guys. Since we seem to have similar taste in headphones, can you briefly tell me about the SR 325s? I love my SR 125s, and I've thought about upgrading to SR 325s or even RS2s, but I've been worried about reports of excessive brightness. Thanks!

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 17
If I had the choice of 325i's (borrowed for a couple of weeks) or RS, go for the RS. The 325i's are too heavy, and erring on the bright side. 325 could do with more padding on the headband due to the extra weight.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 17
You are talking about HD280 pro...there is a HD280 also.

i heard that both sound somewhat different

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had the choice of 325i's (borrowed for a couple of weeks) or RS, go for the RS. The 325i's are too heavy, and erring on the bright side. 325 could do with more padding on the headband due to the extra weight.

Thanks for the input. I am somehow mesmerized by your freaky, gum-chewing avatar. Must buy higher-end headphone ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back