The hate on beats, why?
Feb 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #16 of 1,217
Pure taste.

Simply put, most Beats fans won't like the mid/hi-fi sound.
Most mid/hi-fi fans won't like the Beat's sound, plus spending so much for ONE pair that sounds "meh" to their taste when they can buy 2 different pairs for the same price that sounds like "wow" to their ears.

There's no right or wrong. It's all about taste. Snoop around and you'll see plenty of love/hate for the ATH-M50 also.  

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 1,217

That M-50 is an entire different story, yes there are love/hate, but it's not the same with the Beats. If the Beats were selling for 1/3 of the current MSRP the hate would be a lot less. For the M-50, it's purely based on the sound, also because the M-50's are (to me and a few others who hate them) overhyped. 
Quote:
Pure taste.

Simply put, most Beats fans won't like the mid/hi-fi sound.
Most mid/hi-fi fans won't like the Beat's sound, plus spending so much for ONE pair that sounds "meh" to their taste when they can buy 2 different pairs for the same price that sounds like "wow" to their ears.

There's no right or wrong. It's all about taste. Snoop around and you'll see plenty of love/hate for the ATH-M50 also.  

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 1,217

Quote:
That M-50 is an entire different story, yes there are love/hate, but it's not the same with the Beats. If the Beats were selling for 1/3 of the current MSRP the hate would be a lot less. For the M-50, it's purely based on the sound, also because the M-50's are (to me and a few others who hate them) overhyped. 

Totally agree that "it's an entire different story", Beats often called "overpriced" and M50's called "overhyped", not the same "problem". But still, in both cases some ppl will defend or attack both because it's, once again, all about taste.

I simply used that example to point out another "headphone war" going on.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 1,217
Quote:
They really sound bad.  My little brother bought the Solo.  So much bass, but it's not even a good bass.  The sound is just dark and muddy.  The Bose don't deserve their hate.

The Solos will give you a terrible first impression of beats. They truly are the worst models you can get from them. Don't go with anything less than Studios when fiddling around with the Beats line.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #20 of 1,217
I look at it like this, just like the many zombies that purchase Beats because Dre, Lebron, Nicki Minaj, their friends, etc tells them to, I see it the same on Head-Fi.  Because these self proclaimed audiophiles say Beats sound horrible and are overpriced, everyone else on the boards follow suit.  It's funny that each side calls the other stupid.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black LOL.

Anyway, I see Beats like I do pretty much all other headphone companies, they have horrible cans, great cans, and overpriced cans.  I've spent much time with many of the Beats headphones, not just listening for 5 mins in Best Buy and parroting what I've read.  My take is this:

Beats Solo HD - The worst of the Beats lineup in my opinion.  Very muddy, and lacks detail.  The Soul by Ludacris SL150 really put these to shame.
Beats Studio - Very bass heavy, warm mids, and decent highs.  Worth only about $200 in my opinion.  Don't sound bad though.
Beats Mixr - One of my favorites in the Beats lineup.  Has the most detail of all the Beats cans.  Very fun sounding.  They are uncomfortable though.
Beats Pro - Very good as well but not $400 good.  Same sound signature as the Mixrs with more Bass.  Only problem is, the Mixrs are $150 cheaper.
Beats Executive (NEW) - These are probably my overall favorite Beats Headphone.  They are basically an improved version of the Studios.  They best the Studios in noise cancellation, sound leakage, sound quality, and build quality.  They're built like the pros.  The bass has been toned down on these and the mids brought forward.  Far more detail than the Studios and have a tighter/cleaner bass.  They are also very comfortable which is why I give them the edge over the Mixrs.

Beats are not bad in my opinion and they have their place in the headphone market.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #21 of 1,217
This has been discussed to death here on the forums... and yet people still pitch in to make a 2 page thread?

FYI no one here actually hates them. Whenever someone starts a thread asking which Beats they should get or if they're better than Skullcandies, (without using the search function, again) we tend to point them elsewhere. And yes, I agree the Pros are quite impressive, just not worth anywhere close to $400.

Instead, it's the people who annoy me more than the headphones themselves. Most people are very defensive about their purchases. If they've spent $300 on Beats, the Beats must be good. And after they've tried several Beats, which are all "good" headphones, they've suddenly become a headphone expert and they go around recommending them. You have no idea how many of my friends are like this.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 1,217
They're overpriced, common as muck, and the only reason they're so popular is because they've been endorsed by an ageing gangster rapper that needs cash to fund his steroid addiction because he isn't selling records anymore.

C'mon Son.

:rolleyes:

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 1,217
I've just tried one pair out....... I've really not tried any good headphones.

It would seem you asked and answered your question in the same sentence.

Can anyone articulate more on why you hate beats?

Honestly we have plenty of articulation and beats hating threads on this site. Don't worry I did the same thing when I was a nooob. You can just search it is just not that hard to find you must just be looking in the wrong places.

Advice. Go to guitar center or a best buy with a high end audio section and try some high end Senny's or Beyers or AKG's, etc. and find out what the deal is for yourself. If you like the beats after that. Then they are "good". If you don't they are "bad". It is all a matter of opinion. However opinion is best formulated by experience. Why listen to us?

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 1,217
Here are some reasons I dislike beats:

-I payed for the Beats Pro and they really weren't all that amazing. They are about 2-4 times the price of their.
-The beats Solo are beyond bad. I would rather use skullcandy Ink'd (1/20 of the price)
-People think they are awesome when they aren't.
-They constantly lie in their slogans. "you will hear the music the way it was meant to be heard". Huge lie, because Beats have hardly any clarity and no mids or highs (beats pro are slightly better).
-I bought my bro 60 dollar headphones and they were almost the same with better bass (without burn in) as my Beats pro.... really sad.
-Do rappers know anything about engineering new headphones or headphone technology? not that I know of. So why do people think he knows anything? Because he was famous... (sorry if it sounds a bit harsh).
-Other headphones are 10x better. No exageration

Those are my reasons

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 1,217
You sound like a very small person.  Dre, whom I have met several times before he was DRE and after is one the most brilliant musical minds in the industry.  As you put it GANSTA RAP existed before and after him but his is the best becuase he thought why sample a classic when you can get artists to perform the sample live.  His recordings are thorough and distinguish even if I dont like the lyrics typically.  As to the CANS Beats is vastly sucessful because they listen to thier clients.  People love bass and hip hop brought this on.  Country music to Musicals are now more bass heavy than ever before.  Even my bluegrass favorites have more bass.  The texture of the bass is what you have issues with I hope.  Also the sucess of beats have caused market creep which helps your personal hobby by increasing choice.  Amazing.  Celebrate diversity and I have owned a great deal of expensive listening devices and Beats are in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back