The hate on beats, why?
May 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #481 of 1,217

Actually the Beats cord is retrievable. It's not proper etiquette but I do it anyway.
That guy in the pic is staff because I jacked  the HD800 into an adapter I have and he started following me around. (annoyed staff guy in pic)

I tried the new Studios in another place a couple months ago and they were quite nice. Not Bassy enough for me as a basshead which says enough towards their modified sound sig.
That reviewer was just hating and using this sites system to (insert odd reason here
blink.gif
) abuse a pair of cans I doubt were ever on his head. The review itself was a lazy lazy piece of flaming/hating as well.

May 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #482 of 1,217
May 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #484 of 1,217
  The M50's or Beats? I've owned a total of 4 pairs of Beats in the past (now three) and zero M50s after trying out a friend's pair. They've got nothing on a Studio 1.0 minus the ANC circuit, that's for sure.

What the reviewer said was undoubtedly a lie. All authorized Beats retailers have a special tethered demo model of the New Beats Studio. The cable is not detachable, the headphones are always powered on and the power switch does nothing. It's all lies! Just judging from the comfort of the Beats vs. the M50s, one would indiscriminately favor the former over the latter.

I should write a short review that has facts mixed with opinion when I have time.

They're a hardcore M50 fanatic as opposed to a Beats fanboy/girl.

The beats.. I have own/owned Studios V1, Executives and the Pros... The Pros destroy them all but cost more.. I actually own the M50's as well... I did a side by side comparison but my review was of the beats.. Sound quality wise the beats aren't that far off.. Bass is slightly less controlled but the executives aren't as bass heavy as the Studios are.. it might just be the noise canceling that you can hear in the background tho..
To be honest the M50's don't sound AMAZING to me either.. If I want bass I have my Pro900

May 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #485 of 1,217
Well, my friend has beats studio 1.0's, and to be completely honest, they aren't good. The treble was grainy, the bass was too loose and muddy, and vocals were scratchy... Now, beats studio 2.0's are another story. Those are pretty good imo. The treble is listenable, bass is tighter, and vocals are finally good! Of course, I own an 80$ headphone that they can't quite beat in sound quality, but hey! Its good to see Dr Dre actually handing out decent cans that at least mostly live up to its studio name! Haven't tried pros, and solos?... Ugh. I wanted to stomp upon their soulless diaphragms. They are absolutely hideous sounding for 200$. Now, their mainstream competitor made by the company that was betrayed, monster with the n-tunes are awesome little things. I love their sound. Its bassy but clean. Not Terribly muddy and bassy, but some oomph to the lower end... All in all, beats by Dre are decent sounding, but not for 300$. The looks and comfort, plus amplifier at least mostly make up for where they falter. I'd like to own a pair actually, but I'm not rich enough to buy that without regretting it and wishing I had bought an Akg, hifiman, or other audiophile brand. :frowning2:

May 16, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #486 of 1,217
Well, my friend has beats studio 1.0's, and to be completely honest, they aren't good. The treble was grainy, the bass was too loose and muddy, and vocals were scratchy... Now, beats studio 2.0's are another story. Those are pretty good imo. The treble is listenable, bass is tighter, and vocals are finally good! Of course, I own an 80$ headphone that they can't quite beat in sound quality, but hey! Its good to see Dr Dre actually handing out decent cans that at least mostly live up to its studio name! Haven't tried pros, and solos?... Ugh. I wanted to stomp upon their soulless diaphragms. They are absolutely hideous sounding for 200$.

Now, their mainstream competitor made by the company that was betrayed, monster with the n-tunes are awesome little things. I love their sound. Its bassy but clean. Not Terribly muddy and bassy, but some oomph to the lower end... All in all, beats by Dre are decent sounding, but not for 300$. The looks and comfort, plus amplifier at least mostly make up for where they falter. I'd like to own a pair actually, but I'm not rich enough to buy that without regretting it and wishing I had bought an Akg, hifiman, or other audiophile brand.
frown.gif

Monster is a great company. They actually knew what they were doing, and it's a good thing. They say the Trubines, Trumpets, and Gratitudes all sound awesome, and I've heard the DNAs which were pretty fun. I've also heard the Inspirations, the Vektrs, and the Diamond Tears, but don't have a solid impression of them. But what I'm really looking forward to is the DNA Pro. The cool thing about it is that, unlike Beats, it really lives up to their name. Of course, I haven't heard it for myself, but they say it sounds very sparkly, almost bright.

May 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #487 of 1,217

The beats.. I have own/owned Studios V1, Executives and the Pros... The Pros destroy them all but cost more.. I actually own the M50's as well... I did a side by side comparison but my review was of the beats.. Sound quality wise the beats aren't that far off.. Bass is slightly less controlled but the executives aren't as bass heavy as the Studios are.. it might just be the noise canceling that you can hear in the background tho..
To be honest the M50's don't sound AMAZING to me either.. If I want bass I have my Pro900

Woah, you have the exact models that I've owned as well! The one pair of Beats that I sold are the Pro Detox because they were too heavy for my liking.

My fourth pair of Beats is the non-Monster version Silver Beats Studio which was so recently procured that I have yet to take pictures of it.

May 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #490 of 1,217
50mm driver in the executive? I never took apart my Pro or Studio 1.0
to make use of it, you'd have to take out the internal amp and rewire everything.

May 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #493 of 1,217

to make use of it, you'd have to take out the internal amp and rewire everything.

All the larger on/over ear Beats share the exact same "Titanium Coated" 40 mm driver. Yes, the Solos, Solo HD, Studio, Pro, Detox, Wireless, Executive and Mixr. The difference in sound lies in the enclosure and cushion type (and in some special cases, the circuit). The Solos have a very small enclosure and a conical driver cage, which makes them sound bassier. The Solo HD has a second physical tweeter in the apex of this conical enclosure, kinda balancing it out.

The Studios have a semi-closed enclosure, but due to the nature of the two-axis pivot system, they leak sound a lot. Also, they have the ANC circuit to boost bass and stuff. The same goes with the Executives, but because they are only single-axis and have improved cushions, they leak a lot less sound. They do however share the exact same circuit that the Studio 1.0 uses.

The Pro/Detox have the largest enclosure, so they are less IEM-like (small enclosure, bigger bass) and more speaker-like (bass tends to be very weak with most single driver speakers that have relatively small drivers.

The Mixrs I haven't figured out yet. They are advertised to be Beats' loudest headphone, which they are, but they don't have an active circuit like the Studios do, yet the Mixrs are louder than the Studios. 

the answer is Simple: the quality sucks, the design sucks (they are ugly), they are all marketing. kind of like nike lately. people are not stupid, they see through it.

Spoken like a truly ignorant pseudo-audiophile. 

spoken like a beats employee

I got the Pros and Executives solely based on the fact that they're made of aluminum. The Executives were a mistake. But yes, jny321 is truly an ignorant pseudo-audiophile. "The quality sucks" is unsubstantiated and "The design sucks" is merely personal opinion. Frankly, I quite like the Beats' design. They're portable (foldable), have a detachable cable, have nice cables, come with a carry case and in most cases very comfortable for me.

They only keep breaking on me probably because I either mod the crap out of it or use it for purposes not intended.

May 16, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #494 of 1,217
I actually think they look rather beautiful. Metal, smooth cylindrical body... Wow. How much are they?

Cheapest I can find is $700+shipping. On the plus side, you can get away without using an amp (although a DAC/amp really wakes them up). Needless to say, I am no longer looking for new headphones to purchase. :p

I agree that they're damn pretty, but they are BIIIIIG. XD 

All the larger on/over ear Beats share the exact same "Titanium Coated" 40 mm driver. Yes, the Solos, Solo HD, Studio, Pro, Detox, Wireless, Executive and Mixr. The difference in sound lies in the enclosure and cushion type (and in some special cases, the circuit). The Solos have a very small enclosure and a conical driver cage, which makes them sound bassier. The Solo HD has a second physical tweeter in the apex of this conical enclosure, kinda balancing it out.

The Studios have a semi-closed enclosure, but due to the nature of the two-axis pivot system, they leak sound a lot. Also, they have the ANC circuit to boost bass and stuff. The same goes with the Executives, but because they are only single-axis and have improved cushions, they leak a lot less sound. They do however share the exact same circuit that the Studio 1.0 uses.

The Pro/Detox have the largest enclosure, so they are less IEM-like (small enclosure, bigger bass) and more speaker-like (bass tends to be very weak with most single driver speakers that have relatively small drivers.

The Mixrs I haven't figured out yet. They are advertised to be Beats' loudest headphone, which they are, but they don't have an active circuit like the Studios do, yet the Mixrs are louder than the Studios. 
I got the Pros and Executives solely based on the fact that they're made of aluminum. The Executives were a mistake. But yes, jny321 is truly an ignorant pseudo-audiophile. "The quality sucks" is unsubstantiated and "The design sucks" is merely personal opinion. Frankly, I quite like the Beats' design. They're portable (foldable), have a detachable cable, have nice cables, come with a carry case and in most cases very comfortable for me.

They only keep breaking on me probably because I either mod the crap out of it or use it for purposes not intended.

I agree on the design. I've always rather enjoyed the Beats look. It's sleek, recognizable, the logo is distinct without being garish, there aren't any random parts sticking out. I am unabashedly a fan of the Mixrs and there's a dang good chance I'll snag a pair again in the future off Craigslist for cheap. 

May 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #495 of 1,217

Trust me, they are only 40 mm

I'd love to take out my Pro, but scared that I'll get caught. That, and I don't think I have the tools required to open it up.

Get caught for what?

I agree on the design. I've always rather enjoyed the Beats look. It's sleek, recognizable, the logo is distinct without being garish, there aren't any random parts sticking out. I am unabashedly a fan of the Mixrs and there's a dang good chance I'll snag a pair again in the future off Craigslist for cheap. 

Notice how I didn't mention anything about audio quality(!). Pretty much as soon as I got the Studios and Executives, the first thing I did was cut the ANC mics. At least it's one less flaw I had to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back