The GS1000 with HF2 pads?
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

feifan

1000+ Head-Fier
I received the HF2 a couple days ago and have been enjoying them. In the meantime, the GS1K has been hanging on its stand, naked and forlorn. The huge foam bowls have been deteriorating to the point where listening means ending up with a black ring around my ears. So the bowls came off.

I ordered a new pair from TTVJ this afternoon. As I sat listening with the HF2, a sudden urge to experiment struck -- the kind that all head-fiers experience from time to time. (Sometimes with disastrous results.) Would the small HF2 pads fit on the GS1K? If yes, how would they affect SQ?

I got out a ruler and measured the diameters of the rim that holds the pad. I was surprised to find that they were nearly identical at about 2 1/4". Actually, the HF2 is slightly wider at 2 5/16" vs. the GS1K at 2 3/16". The shape of the lip that holds the pad in place also looks similar.

Why not.

I removed the pads from the HF2 and placed them on the GS1K. The fit was perfect. In fact, the GS1K looks pretty cool with the smaller pads.

I plugged it into the Grace m902 as source/amp, with the Shanling PCD300A as transport. Coaxial as input. Music -- a test CD I've made up of 11 tracks that include a wide range of music. All of known good quality. The GS1K has a Black Dragon cable.

Results?

Mindblowingly good. I'm on the fourth replay of the CD, which is the equivalent of roughly 2 hours. The major difference is in dynamics and clarity. In a word, the music comes alive.

Now I'm wondering if others have tried this simple experiment with the GS1K. If yes, which pads did you use?

I'm also curious, now, to try other Grado pads on the GS1K -- and other non-Grado pads, too, that might also fit. Just to see what happens.

Those who own other Grados: Can you post the diameters? If the diameters are within 1/8" or 1/4", I'm guessing the fit of those pads would be fine with the GS1K.

Also, please feel free to post your thoughts on Grado bowl and pad alternatives or anything else about these very flexible cushions between the cans and our ears.

I was wondering if I shouldn't cancel my bowl order with TTVJ and order the smaller pads instead. But I decided to get the big doughnuts just to have them around for comparisons. But if the SQ with the smaller pads holds up, the bigger bowls won't get much use.

Some may be wondering what the HF2 sounds like in comparison to the GS1K with the same pads. I won't say anything right now, except that they sound very similar. But with a difference that I can only describe as more refined and sweeter. But the difference may be phantom. Time will tell.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 15
I tried the regular bowl pads with the GS-1000 and like you it sounded really good...at first. After a while I realized the bass was seriously rolled off. I'd be interested if you have the same experience.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 15
On the other hands, I have read couple of reports saying that HF2 sounds great (or better than bowls) with GS1000 pads. I wanted to try that with mine but GS1000 is gone
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the regular bowl pads with the GS-1000 and like you it sounded really good...at first. After a while I realized the bass was seriously rolled off. I'd be interested if you have the same experience.

The standard GS1K pads are disintegrating and literally turning to dust when I handle them so I'll wait until the replacements arrive to do an A/B. Instead, I did a quick comparison with the HD800 -- not known for pounding bass, but, IMHO, excellent in representing the bass that's in the recording.

Below 90 Hz or so, yes, there's a bit of roll-off, especially in the sub-bass 40-60Hz range. But if you're not doing an A/B, you don't notice it. And for most rock, e.g. CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?", the bass is excellent.

Dynamics: in Brubeck's "Take Five," for example, when the bass kicks in at the 15-second mark, it's very subtle. Then it begin to build at 1:50 and maxes out at around 3:12 with percussion thrown into the mix. This lasts for a little over a minute. At 4:20, the sax returns and the bass falls back. The modded GS1K handles it all. In the upper-mids (2-4kHz) and highs (> 4kHz), it's excellent.

Overall, with slightly exaggerated mids, the instrument separation is excellent, dynamics are very good, and the package is musically fun. If you're not looking specifically for hyped bass, you won't notice the roll off. For example, the bass in Brian Bromberg's "Cantaloupe Island" is laid back in comparison to the HD800's presentation, but, again, you don't notice it unless you're A/Bing.

I love my bass, too, so when I want it, I'll go to the HD800 or balanced HD650.

Contrary to what you're saying, I'm finding that the longer I listen to this modded GS1K, the better the balance and overall effect. This is only the 2nd day I'm trying this so my impressions may change. But I don't think so. This is just too much fun.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hands, I have read couple of reports saying that HF2 sounds great (or better than bowls) with GS1000 pads. I wanted to try that with mine but GS1000 is gone
frown.gif

Hmmm. That's interesting. I liked the HF2 out of the box -- very sweet -- but felt the mids were a bit too aggressive. I wasn't concerned. I figured it would smooth out after my ears have burned in to them. But the bigger GS1K pads might have that impact immediately. I'll wait until the replacements arrive to try this. Thanks for the idea.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The standard GS1K pads are disintegrating and literally turning to dust when I handle them

I'm puzzled. The big bagel pads I have are really solid. I've pulled them on and off numerous times. I have 10 year old bowl pads that are still like new. Any idea why your pads would be disintegrating?

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm puzzled. The big bagel pads I have are really solid. I've pulled them on and off numerous times. I have 10 year old bowl pads that are still like new. Any idea why your pads would be disintegrating?

I'm surprised to hear that! I thought this was happening to everyone. I live in a tropical climate, close to the ocean. I wonder if this has something to do with it. I've had the GS1K for about 3 years, and the bowls are literally crumbling. Just rubbing my fingers lightly on the surface creates a shower of particles.

Come to think of it, the padding in my Shoei helmet, too, disintegrated in the same way, but that took about 5-6 years.

I just assumed this is what happens with foam padding.

Beagle, do you by chance live in a cold climate? Or far from the ocean?

Or is there something I've failed to do to keep the bowls in good condition, e.g., washing them every once in a while? I've never washed them. I might've lightly wiped them with a damp paper towel once or twice, but that's about it.

I'm puzzled.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 15
I tried this once. Firstly, I don't like the current GS-1000's at all, I've come to the conclusion (my early opinions were based on the prototypes, which I've verified are much better than the production model), and I tried the bowls and they just sounded terrible to my ears. Everything just sounded muddy and foggy. Those headphones are only meant to have the bagels on them.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 15
I've tried several pads and only like the bagels. I've had mine since they were released and my pads are in great shape.

The GS-1000s have a certain signature and trying to tune them to make them sound more balanced and all that just doesn't work for me. You have to accept it's coloration. The liveliness and timbre it give to the music just enhances the musical intent for me.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this once. Firstly, I don't like the current GS-1000's at all, I've come to the conclusion (my early opinions were based on the prototypes, which I've verified are much better than the production model), and I tried the bowls and they just sounded terrible to my ears. Everything just sounded muddy and foggy. Those headphones are only meant to have the bagels on them.

The "bagels" are the stock GS1K pads? And the "bowls" are the pads that come with the HF2? Sorry, I'm not up on the lingo for the pads.

I'm getting the opposite from "muddy and foggy." The SQ is unlike the GS1K in that it's crisp, clear, lively. I wonder why we're getting such a wide difference. Could the m902 be the casue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried several pads and only like the bagels. I've had mine since they were released and my pads are in great shape.

If by "bagels" you mean the huge pads on the GS1K -- did you do anything to maintain them? I've heard some people say they wash them with shampoo. Or do you keep them in a protected area or case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1000s have a certain signature and trying to tune them to make them sound more balanced and all that just doesn't work for me. You have to accept it's coloration. The liveliness and timbre it give to the music just enhances the musical intent for me.

I've always liked the GS1K sound out of the m902. I've never been able to get the same warmth and bass bounce from anything else.

But with the bowls, they really sound like totally different cans. The coloration that I was used to is gone. So I see what you mean re losing the signature.

I'm beginning to wonder if the HF2 will sound like the GS1K if I switch the bagels onto them.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beagle, do you by chance live in a cold climate? Or far from the ocean?

Or is there something I've failed to do to keep the bowls in good condition, e.g., washing them every once in a while? I've never washed them. I might've lightly wiped them with a damp paper towel once or twice, but that's about it.

I'm puzzled.

I live in what you might call extreme climate. It can go up to +32C in the summer and -32C in the winter. But the temperature/humidity level in the house stays about the same.

I do have a pair of the flat pads (they are about 14 years old) that are starting to crumble. But all the others are 10 years old or less, and are in great shape. Maybe I secrete a special type of oil that conditions them?
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in what you might call extreme climate. It can go up to +32C in the summer and -32C in the winter. But the temperature/humidity level in the house stays about the same.

I do have a pair of the flat pads (they are about 14 years old) that are starting to crumble. But all the others are 10 years old or less, and are in great shape. Maybe I secrete a special type of oil that conditions them?
biggrin.gif

You ought to think about saving some of that, adding a bit of cologne, and marketing it as Grado Pad Savers -- keep those bagels fresh forever!

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing, I ordered GS-1000 pads for my HF-2 and I like them much better now, more soundstage and the comfort is night and day!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dang, now I really can't wait for the huge pads to arrive so I can try them on the HF2. Assuming that you've heard the GS1K, would you say the HF2 now sounds like the GS1K or even better or just different? Is the HF2 bass with the huge pads just as as good or better than the HF2 with stock pads?

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 15
i switched from bagels to bowls on my gs1000. actually i like bagels but only with lehmann audio amp. with gilmore lite, i prefer the gs1000 with bagels. i am also curious to know how the hf2 with bowls will compete with gs1000 with bowls, i.e. which one sounds better..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back