The GrubDAC
Mar 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #856 of 1,079

Quote:
Oh I'm not blaming TI. Even though TI has huge market share...whether they got there fairly or not...I don't know, I like them.

Just wanted to comment on the actual GrubDAC. I'm using this hooked up to a homemade power chipamp. About 50Wx2 + 50Wx1 (sub). Bass is so much more punchy. I can't really believe it. I wouldn't say I'm stunned by new things in the music popping out at me, but it is much cleaner sounding than the onboard sound, which is decent to start with. So a bass drum actually feels/sounds like a real bass drum hit. I'm not going to use the fancy words I see some of you guys use...but it really does sound better.

We don't use those fancy words in the DIY section, either.
wink.gif
  Many thanks for the kind comments on the grubDAC!  Cobaltmute did a great job bringing it to us and there's more coming!

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #863 of 1,079
I'm curious, where do you guys come up with the names for these DACs?

When I did my first design, I was looking for something to name it after. I decided to use the name of animals. The design was the cub1, which never got past the design phase. That was revised into the pup1 - which we now call the pupDAC. The grubDAC was named after the idea of something small, like an insect (as it was smaller than pup design). The SkeletonDAC is a word pun based upon the fact that it started as a "bare-bones" design. I couldn't think of anything insightful for the r1 - it just means "regulator 1"

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #868 of 1,079
EDIT: never mind (what I posted before) - getting DACs mixed up.

I'm not sure you guys would seriously consider that there's room on a grubDAC PCB to provide additional input types.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #870 of 1,079
Tried to build my GrubDAC last night, but had a unseen bridge on U1 that shorted VDD to ground. (LED lit but flickering, 10mV on 3.3V test point, no USB detection, one very hot inductor). Fixed that, but now it's doing the "USB device unrecognised" thing. I'll give it another once-over tonight to see if reflowing will help, but have ordered another kit just in case. (Hey, even if I fix the first one I'll have an extra DAC - can't have too many grubs)

Current DAC kit deathmatch score: 2/3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back