The GrubDAC
Dec 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #811 of 1,079
I've just got a bit of frightening experience. I was listening internet radio through grubdac and connecting my printer through usb port. Suddenly, no sound. I tried connecting and dissconecting grubdac for a few times, checked fuse in my amp - nothing. It didn't work for a few minutes. Then it came back to life again! Uff...
k701smile.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #812 of 1,079

Quote:
I've just got a bit of frightening experience. I was listening internet radio through grubdac and connecting my printer through usb port. Suddenly, no sound. I tried connecting and dissconecting grubdac for a few times, checked fuse in my amp - nothing. It didn't work for a few minutes. Then it came back to life again! Uff...
k701smile.gif

Yes - this is something I should perhaps document on the GrubDAC website.  Plugging or unplugging other items on the PC's USB buss will knock a GrubDAC offline - momentarily.  Most likely, if you simply waited instead of connecting/disconnecting, you would've found it "re-appear" as a connected USB device.

In any event, as you just saw - it's a completely harmless nuisance.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #813 of 1,079
WOOOOOHOOOOOO It's working!!! I reflowed some bad looking pins on the newly installed U1 (still can't believe I managed to replace it) and now everything works without a hitch! Thanks Tomb and everyone else for your help and merry christmas!

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #814 of 1,079

Quote:
WOOOOOHOOOOOO It's working!!! I reflowed some bad looking pins on the newly installed U1 (still can't believe I managed to replace it) and now everything works without a hitch! Thanks Tomb and everyone else for your help and merry christmas!

Merry Christmas to you!  Glad you got it working!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #815 of 1,079

Quote:
Yes - this is something I should perhaps document on the GrubDAC website.  Plugging or unplugging other items on the PC's USB buss will knock a GrubDAC offline - momentarily.  Most likely, if you simply waited instead of connecting/disconnecting, you would've found it "re-appear" as a connected USB device.

In any event, as you just saw - it's a completely harmless nuisance.

I normally plug other usb devices and it stops playing for just about half of a second. But this time I thought it is dead. I used different power plug for printer so I thought it has something to do with ground loops and I damaged it.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #817 of 1,079

Quote:
Finished my DAC.  I am only getting output on the right channel and NO bass.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

No bass may just mean you don't have both channels.  (Deep bass is mostly non-directional in stereo and depends on the combination of both channels for full response.  That's why single subwoofers work instead of needing pairs.)  Anyway,  for some reason this has cropped up at least three times in the last few days.  You can look in this thread a couple of pages back or check the right-most pins on the Wolfson chip.  The top pin on the right side (USB connector down) is the Left output for the DAC.  The bottom pin on the right side is the Right output.  If the particular channel pin is not actually soldered to the pad (this can be easy to miss) or is bridged to something else, then you won't get any sound out of that channel.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #818 of 1,079
Thanks Tom,

I will check that first.  I took the DAC to work and looked at it under a scope and did have two bridges on the TI chip.  I fixed those.  I will make sure I soldered the Wolfson completely.

Mike

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #819 of 1,079
No luck.  I reflowed both chips with no luck.  I have one channel and it sounds like it is far away, in a tunnel and a "tinny" sound.  I will take it back to work tomorrow and look at it again under the scope and take close up photos.

Mike

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #820 of 1,079

Quote:
No luck.  I reflowed both chips with no luck.  I have one channel and it sounds like it is far away, in a tunnel and a "tinny" sound.  I will take it back to work tomorrow and look at it again under the scope and take close up photos.

Mike

Yep - I think we need to see some of those pics.  Hopefully, cobaltmute will look in as well.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #822 of 1,079

Quote:
Here are the photos.  Anything pop out at you?  I checked every pin under a Mantis scope to make sure there were no bridges and that every pin was soldered securely. 

Geez - the PCB looks pretty d*mn clean from here!  If you checked it with a Mantis microscope, too, then bridges are not the issue.

This may sound a bit ridiculous, but are you sure you wired the output connector correctly?  You can sometimes get the symptoms you describe on DACs or amplifiers, if the wires are crossed - ground with signal.  Also, the ground connection is only on the top of the PCB - where the ground plane is.  It looks like you may not have the best soldering on the output leads.  The ground leads, in particular, appear to have not wicked at all to the top of the board.  The holes are plated and that shouldn't be an issue, but I've had it happen on my own DACs - a Bantam and an Alien once.  In my case, they were never cased and the constant flexing because of that worked the solder joints loose.  I had a heck of a time trying to get the ground leads soldered back correctly.

You can check the output connector and wiring by placing your DMM probes on the connector and some part of the ground on the top of the PCB - away from where the ground leads are soldered.  You can try the pads on the bottom (along with the output connector) at the Wima's and V-D resistors for the signal wires.  You should be able to measure zero resistance when checking for continuity.

Anyway, those are some of my guesses for the time being.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #823 of 1,079
The problem was the stereo jack.  It was not the correct jack, it was a closed circuit jack.  I swapped it out and it sounds MUCH better now but lacking a LOT of bass. like almost none.  Highs are so high it almost hurts.  Besides that, the sound quality going through the DAC into the CMOY is night and day vs straight out of the computer.  What should I look for to solve the bass issue?

Mike

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #824 of 1,079
Isn't that just your initial impression? I was thinking the same at first and searching forum. But no solution worked and then I got used to it. It just sounds so much clearer and have more highs than for example soundcard. However, when songs have deep bass, the bass is there.

Edit: If you are used to EQ or some bass boost function on your soundcard and forgot that you have enabled it, you may be surprised.
smile.gif
And you never know how your soundcard manipulates with sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back