The GrubDAC
Nov 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #783 of 1,079

Quote:
I've got a grub kit on the way, woot!

Will a 35 watt iron be to hot for the surface mount chips?

Most likely, unfortunately - although maybe some others can speak up if they've had success with one.  I think 15W is a maximum if you're using something without temperature control.  More important probably, is a small tip - I use a 0.8mm chisel tip on my Hakko for SMD work.

All this and more is detailed on the various Bantam, Grub, and Skeleton DAC websites:
BantamDAC Overview
GrubDAC Overview
SkeletonDAC Overview
Look under the "What's Needed ..." section on the above pages, also - refer to the "Preparation" page under "Construction."

Another key is to use a flux pen for the best results and eutectic (63/37), rosin core solder not much bigger than 0.025" diameter, if you can help it.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #784 of 1,079
I agree with Tomb...a 35 watt iron will be way to hot for smd work.

Quote:
I've got a grub kit on the way, woot!

Will a 35 watt iron be to hot for the surface mount chips?

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #786 of 1,079
I soldered this and several other surface mount DACs with a unregulated 40W iron.  I think you just have to make sure not to heat anything for too long.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #789 of 1,079
There's a lot of solder on the chips atleast, might easily do a bridge. Hard to see. 
(ugh, not that Im an expert, still confused and sad for mixing up my own GrubDAC, it's payday tommorrow anyway so... :wink: 
L3000.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #790 of 1,079
Hm, the chips have a lot less solder than my Bantams and I've got 3 of them working (slowly learning how to solder those in the process). I think I'll remove all caps carefully, numbered and then check for bridges again. If they're there, it's the chips. I'm pretty confident of them, but you never know. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #791 of 1,079
Guys, I did it with 75W soldering gun without any problem. You just need to use 0.8mm tip and cut solder (0.6mm) into little pieces (2mm or so). ICs were quite simple to my surprise.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #792 of 1,079
Well, my grub dac turns on, and is found by windows, I can select it as the output device in foobar, but all I hear on the output is a hum and some light static, any ideas? Nothing gets warm to the touch, either.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #793 of 1,079

Quote:
Well, my grub dac turns on, and is found by windows, I can select it as the output device in foobar, but all I hear on the output is a hum, any ideas?

If Windows recognizes it and you can select it as an output device, then the PCM2706/7 (U1) is performing correctly - so is the regulator (U2).  So, focus on the Wolfson chip for bridges or pins not making contact.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #794 of 1,079

Quote:
If Windows recognizes it and you can select it as an output device, then the PCM2706/7 (U1) is performing correctly - so is the regulator (U2).  So, focus on the Wolfson chip for bridges or pins not making contact.

Woot, it works now! Sounds awesome...

Initial impression of the sound is that there is solid and abundant bass and excellent detail throughout the sound spectrum. Very revealing and transparent in combination with the O2, almost disturbingly so. 

The O2 + Grubdac + HD448's is a pretty nice sounding combo, very airy and extended sounding, I've never heard the HD448's sound this good, I'm impressed. Still don't like the O2 driving the HD650's even with grubdac, but it is an improvement over the uDac 1/2 in pretty much every way. 

My one complaint is that it occasionally sounds a bit "digital", I don't think it's the grubs fault necessarily, just certain tracks.

BTW, thanks for your help Tomb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back