The GrubDAC
May 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #736 of 1,079
Plus acetone will usually remove part markings as well as most stencil on solder masks.

Also toxic as hell and really hard on your skin. Avoid skin contact and breathing the vapors at all cost.

Works well though... 
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #737 of 1,079

Quote:
Plus acetone will usually remove part markings as well as most stencil on solder masks.

Also toxic as hell and really hard on your skin. Avoid skin contact and breathing the vapors at all cost.

Works well though... 
wink_face.gif

Nah, acetone isn't really toxic, unless you're in an unventilated area (which is dumb with any kind of solvent, really). We use it all the time to clean stuff in the school lab, works wonders as an organic solvent. It's relatively safe on this production board too since I've used it before...
wink.gif

But I suppose dissolving plastics is a problem, as I wasn't sure how the film caps react to acetone. I guess I'll just go with the tried and true IPA then.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #739 of 1,079
hmm there is a problem still... Now I have short between VDD and GND. I have managed to pinpoint it to either one of the top side ICs. I checked DAC datasheet and it should have any short related to VDD and GND because there one pin between those.
But PCM2706 has. I think my PCB has damaged between pins 1-2. Is it possible to make a cut between those, to severe the connection?

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #740 of 1,079
Well, after settling in back home I finally set up my soldering iron agan and got to work on my busted Grub. An hour later, after many reflows and much alcohol and toothbrush scrubbing, I plugged it in and finally - no crazy static, just clean music! Yay!

Has anyone compared a GrubDAC with an HRT Music Streamer II? I'm trying to do a comparison but it's a little difficult since the GrubDAC seems to be a little louder than the MSII (basics check: this means that the grub output voltage is slightly higher than the MSII [nominal output voltage 2.25V}, right?). So far it doesn't look good... for the MSII.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #742 of 1,079

Quote:
I have a gurb with led working but my netbook does not detects the dac

Can you get us some pics?  The PCM2706 is the chip that governs the interface to the PC.  If you have shorts or other problems around the pins on that chip, it won't be recognized.  Unfortunately, a working LED work confirms little beyond the fact that the USB connector is OK. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #743 of 1,079
Quick question, my grubdac works fine with my XP computer :)

But recently got a new Mac with OSX, and Mac recognizes it, but I have no clue as to how to get it to work, any ideas?

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #746 of 1,079

Quote:

But results in RMAA are still the same:

However, sound quality is much better than soundcard.

Could you please give full RMAA results (especially THD and IMD graphs)? Character of distortion is more important.
Also Audigy SE have bad quality resampling on 44.1kHz, better use 48kHz for measurements. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #747 of 1,079
When I knew about GrubDAC yesterday, I immediately ordered kit. Hope, it will be far better than my previous[size=x-small][size=x-small] [/size][/size][size=x-small]attempts to find cheap and good or decent sounding compact DAC (PCM2902 and PCM2704 were really bad).[/size]

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #749 of 1,079

Quote:
Erik, how do you think - using of separate voltage regulator for analog part can improve performance?

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was away without internet.

Use of seperate regulators for both analog and the clock may improve performance.  How much, I cannot say specifically as it would depend upon the regulators and I have never tested.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #750 of 1,079
Well im a procrastinator.  I have a rev R1 grub that i finaly found a use for.  However looks like 4 revs happened while i was gone.  Is there anything i need to do before i finish soldering it?  The new rev doesnt use a bipolar crystal.  Looks like the only real change is psel/fsel was connected to ground, now psel/test is connected to vdd, i dont know if i can do that mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back