The GrubDAC
Nov 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #586 of 1,079

Quote:
If you get the proper voltages, my guess is that the LED is turned backwards.  Assuming you soldered the R5 resistors properly, there's no way that the LED wouldn't light unless it's bad - if you were getting the 5V.  Remember that the "C" on the PCB stands for the cathode, which is the shorter lead on the LED.

Dang, you got me. The led was turned backwards. 
cool.gif

Turns out that after my initial check, the audio started after clearing a short. Also, this thing sounds awesome!

Thanks tomb. 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Also, tomb, I'm going to be building a mofsett max soon, so get ready for that.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #588 of 1,079
Hey guys, I have a problem.

When playing audio through my grub, it occasionally pauses, as in the audio stops for a split second, then continues. I've tried everything I can think of on both the software side and hardware side, but I am obviously missing something. 

Any ideas? The only thing I haven't tried yet is reflowing the two chips. Could I have damaged anything on my board?

My computer is probably up to snuff, and latency isn't an issue.

Quad core @ 3.20ghz
4gb of RAM 
Windows 7

I have asio4all up and running in foobar.

Any ideas?

(I am checking my Minimax now to see if the issue is there)

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #590 of 1,079
Ya, I recommend WASAPI as well...I use it with Foobar under windows for both of my DACs.

Quote:
Try the WASAPI plugin for foobar.  I've had good success with it under Windows 7.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #592 of 1,079
Success! I'll have to test it for a little while to make sure the pops don't come back, but that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT: yup, no skips, everything's good :)

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #594 of 1,079

Quote:
Success! I'll have to test it for a little while to make sure the pops don't come back, but that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT: yup, no skips, everything's good :)

Ditto, BobSaysHi!

That's a great achievement after your first experience with the MiniMAX!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #595 of 1,079

Quote:
Quote:
If you get the proper voltages, my guess is that the LED is turned backwards.  Assuming you soldered the R5 resistors properly, there's no way that the LED wouldn't light unless it's bad - if you were getting the 5V.  Remember that the "C" on the PCB stands for the cathode, which is the shorter lead on the LED.

cool.gif

Turns out that after my initial check, the audio started after clearing a short. Also, this thing sounds awesome!

Thanks tomb. 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Also, tomb, I'm going to be building a mofsett max soon, so get ready for that.

Not to hi-jack but you will really enjoy the MOSFET MAX... great build ...great amp. Make another Grub for it, I piggybacked mine on the back leaving the Bantam inside and made it switchable for more options.
Don't forget to grab different matched tubes from tomb while ordering!

Clickety Click  
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #596 of 1,079

Quote:
Ditto, BobSaysHi!

That's a great achievement after your first experience with the MiniMAX!
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, I'm sorry about all the trouble. I've learned a lot since then. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Quote:
cool.gif

Thanks tomb. 
tongue_smile.gif

Not to hi-jack but you will really enjoy the MOSFET MAX... great build ...great amp. Make another Grub for it, I piggybacked mine on the back leaving the Bantam inside and made it switchable for more options.
Don't forget to grab different matched tubes from tomb while ordering!

Clickety Click  
biggrin.gif

I'm honestly really, really happy with my setup right now. I don't think I'll attempt any upgrades for a while.

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #597 of 1,079
Hi:
  I just finished building the GrubDAC and was surprised how hot the output is.  I plugged the output into my Total BitHead and it immediately began illuminating the clipping LED, which I attributed to low batteries.  After turning the house upside down for new ones (and getting side tracked looking for a nimh charger!) I figured out that wasn't it - it was being overdriven when I ran it with the computer volume at max (which I do with no problem with the BitHead when it's hooked up to the USB port and with my off-board audio interface)

I'm now listening to the output of the GrubDAC directly with a pair of Denon D5000's, at about 1/4 volume.  Wow.

I'm planning to use this as an input to a Millet Max - do I need to include an input level pad to keep it from being over driven?

Regards,
  Bob

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #598 of 1,079

Quote:
Hi:
  I just finished building the GrubDAC and was surprised how hot the output is.  I plugged the output into my Total BitHead and it immediately began illuminating the clipping LED, which I attributed to low batteries.  After turning the house upside down for new ones (and getting side tracked looking for a nimh charger!) I figured out that wasn't it - it was being overdriven when I ran it with the computer volume at max (which I do with no problem with the BitHead when it's hooked up to the USB port and with my off-board audio interface)

I'm now listening to the output of the GrubDAC directly with a pair of Denon D5000's, at about 1/4 volume.  Wow.

I'm planning to use this as an input to a Millet Max - do I need to include an input level pad to keep it from being over driven?

Regards,
  Bob

Hi Bob (get it? 
wink_face.gif
)

I'm not quite sure I know what you mean when you say "overdriven," but you should be fine plugging it into Millet Max. I have mine hooked up this way, and it isn't "overdriven."

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #599 of 1,079
( overdriven = driving the amplifier with an excessive input signal, resulting in clipping on the output, which is what I was seeing when I hooked the GrubDAC to the Airhead.)

Good to hear that - are you running the computer "volume control" (e.g. the slider you get when clicking the speaker icon on Windows) at full?  Or is that turned down? 

Appreciate the input - I don't quite have everything glued together sufficiently to actually try this with my pile of parts.

Thanks!
  Bob

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #600 of 1,079

Quote:
( overdriven = driving the amplifier with an excessive input signal, resulting in clipping on the output, which is what I was seeing when I hooked the GrubDAC to the Airhead.)

Good to hear that - are you running the computer "volume control" (e.g. the slider you get when clicking the speaker icon on Windows) at full?  Or is that turned down? 

Appreciate the input - I don't quite have everything glued together sufficiently to actually try this with my pile of parts.

Thanks!
  Bob

Do you not have either ASIO or WASAPI installed to bypass the system volume? if not you should keep the volume at like 50%. I'm going to let tomb or one of the other more experienced users take over, because I'm not sure of the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back