The GrubDAC
May 9, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #316 of 1,079
I got the rev1 proto version.  My active volume control says it needs a source impedance of 600ohms or lower and control has a input impedance of 12k.  The WM8524 dac says it "likes" input inpedances between 1k -49k.  So am i safe?

If im not safe can some one recommend a simple buffer that can run off of my onboard supply of +-15vdc regulated? Maybe the LMH6321 or a simpler single chip one?  I could even go 2x gain if its a simpler higher end one.

May 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #319 of 1,079
As best I can tell, all the parts are here for kits.
smile.gif

However, please give me a few days to a week to get them prepared.  I hoped I would've had them done by now - but early this week, my primary hard drive died.  I've been out of pocket re-building/installing everything since.
frown.gif
frown.gif
  I still have a few odds and ends to restore, but it's getting close. 

May 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #320 of 1,079

Quote:
However, please give me a few days to a week to get them prepared.  I hoped I would've had them done by now - but early this week, my primary hard drive died.  I've been out of pocket re-building/installing everything since.
frown.gif
frown.gif
  I still have a few odds and ends to restore, but it's getting close. 

Hard drive crashes suck big time.

I use a Symantec product to image my whole drive about every month and the backup drive sits off most of them time.  You may want to look at this:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Image your drive to a backup and then pull it back at will if required. I haven't used TrueImage for a while, but it worked when I did run it.

May 15, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #322 of 1,079

Quote:

Hard drive crashes suck big time.

I use a Symantec product to image my whole drive about every month and the backup drive sits off most of them time.  You may want to look at this:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Image your drive to a backup and then pull it back at will if required. I haven't used TrueImage for a while, but it worked when I did run it.

Yep - I think everything's back together now.  I actually went the cheap route and ghosted another drive with Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Running Windows 7, I was able to bcdedit the bootloader to run either drive at startup.  Anyway, once I chop down all the weeds that overgrew the yard while this was going on, I should be able to get the kits together.
wink.gif

May 24, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #328 of 1,079
Great, I'm looking forward to my first DIY.

One question tomb, will there be a limited stock of the kits? If so, I'd make sure to order a kit for myself so that I won't have to wait for another stock.

May 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #329 of 1,079

Quote:
Great, I'm looking forward to my first DIY.

One question tomb, will there be a limited stock of the kits? If so, I'd make sure to order a kit for myself so that I won't have to wait for another stock.

The way the PCM chips are in availability, sales over the long-term will most likely occur in spurts with out-of-stock periods in-between.  I hope that's not the case, though - my intent is certainly to keep them in stock at all times.  It's not like the Starving Student where there was a limited number of tubes in existence in the whole world.  The chips that cobaltmute selected for the design are in active production and there's no indication of that stopping.  Nevertheless, production fluctuates wildly for the PCM chips from TI.  I don't know what it is about TI's Burr-Brown chips, but I remember that we went through the same thing with BUF634's several years ago when a couple of popular DIY headphone designs used them (PIMETA, Millett Hybrid).  There would be several hundred available at Mouser and DigiKey for awhile, then they'd sell out of stock and it was 6 mos to a year before they'd even appear again.

I'll try to keep the stock as best I can, but it's kind of expensive to order 250 up front every time I turn around.  We'll have enough for 100 kits to start, with it being pretty easy to do another 100 after that.  At that point we may need new PCB's too, so we'll have to see how easy it is to re-load for another couple of hundred or so.  Also, we'll need to see whether something else has come down the pike that may be better (I doubt it unless it's from cobaltmute himself.
wink.gif
).

I'm working on a Build Thread right now and should have the kits ready a few days later, so I'm maybe a week behind.  Please be patient with me.  This little DAC is worth the wait awhile longer.
smile.gif

Here's a pic of what I mean - PCM chips in high bulk
wink.gif
:

May 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #330 of 1,079
Here are a couple of teasers:

Checking for bridges using a simple 60W bulb -

I'm actually using this one to put in a MOSFET-MAX, but I will wire the LED to the front panel. I wanted all the parts in the pic, so the LED is in the holes, but not soldered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back