The GrubDAC
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,021 of 1,079
Well... this is depressing.

I changed the PCM chip for a new one straight from TI. I was very careful not to burn it, lowering my iron temperature and taking breaks between pins to let the chip cool down.

Plugging the DAC in, it's recognized, yay!

Code:
 [ 218.102222] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd [ 218.284426] usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2707 [ 218.284439] usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0 [ 218.284448] usb 5-1: Product: USB Audio DAC [ 218.284455] usb 5-1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI [ 218.292451] input: Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio DAC as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.2/input/input14 [ 218.293105] hid-generic 0003:08BB:2707.0008: input,hidraw5: USB HID v1.00 Device [Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio DAC ] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input2 [ 218.488522] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

But then a few seconds later...

Code:
 [ 224.453080] hub 5-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling... [ 224.453088] usb 5-1: USB disconnect, device number 3 [ 224.674050] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd [ 224.789058] usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71 [ 225.003031] usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71 [ 225.207040] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using uhci_hcd [ 225.320048] usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71 [ 225.535043] usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71 [ 225.739042] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 6 using uhci_hcd [ 226.148029] usb 5-1: device not accepting address 6, error -71 [ 226.251027] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 7 using uhci_hcd [ 226.659032] usb 5-1: device not accepting address 7, error -71 [ 226.659056] hub 5-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

This was using a short cable without a ferite, straight into my laptop. I then tried a longer cable with a ferite, same thing. Then I tried using the DAC trough my external, powered HUB:

Code:
 [ 1137.412388] usb 2-4.1.4: new low-speed USB device number 15 using ehci-pci [ 1137.493601] usb 2-4.1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -71 [ 1137.673604] usb 2-4.1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -71 [ 1138.592717] hub 2-4.1:1.0: Cannot enable port 4. Maybe the USB cable is bad? [ 1139.412605] hub 2-4.1:1.0: Cannot enable port 4. Maybe the USB cable is bad? [ 1140.229697] hub 2-4.1:1.0: Cannot enable port 4. Maybe the USB cable is bad? [ 1140.230914] hub 2-4.1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

*sighs*

Lemme try disabling every wireless communication on my desk, turn my dac and amp off, disconnect every usb device... and try again.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,022 of 1,079

How are the voltages?

Sounds like something may be overheating causing the power
to cycle on and off.

The fact that the laptop was able to "see" the PCM means
it was working properly at first...

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,023 of 1,079

How are the voltages?

Sounds like something may be overheating causing the power
to cycle on and off.

The fact that the laptop was able to "see" the PCM means
it was working properly at first...

VDD sits at 3.32V. The vreg doesn't have time to get warm before the DAC looses connection, as it's only a second or two.

Googling the error message, it seems crippingly common on Linux. I'll try the DAC on a different computer when I get the chance.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,024 of 1,079
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,025 of 1,079
Years ago I was working on a military handheld radio in development in the lab. It was a bleeding-edge spread-spectrum type, a double-superhet. One of the local oscillators would not run. It had tiny components like grains of sugar, 0402 I think.

I replaced every component in the LO, first one-by-one, then in bunches. I could not get the oscillator to start.

Eventually I took a working radio and transplanted the LO components to the faulty radio in entirety. I was convinced the LO would start, but it wouldn't. I took all the components and put them back in the radio they came from, and they worked. There was a high resistance short between 2 tracks on the faulty board, due to some kind if inclusion, some impurity in the PCB.

Now, I'm not saying that's what's going on here, but it's an example of how obscure a fault can be.

w

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,026 of 1,079
Well, pout.

I tried my GrubDAC on my friend's computer and it works fine. She has an Alienware with SuperSpeed USB ports, running OpenSUSE.

The DAC is detected and installed the same way as on my system, only it works an doesn't crash the main USB hub.

I don't know what to do from here. I guess my 7 years old laptop needs a refresh. What's the status on using the GrubDAC from netbooks? A netbook makes an attractive option to use as transportable system with a GrubDAC+Carrie, but I sort of doubt their USB ports would be any better than my current laptop's.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,027 of 1,079
  Well, pout.

I tried my GrubDAC on my friend's computer and it works fine. She has an Alienware with SuperSpeed USB ports, running OpenSUSE.

The DAC is detected and installed the same way as on my system, only it works an doesn't crash the main USB hub.

I don't know what to do from here. I guess my 7 years old laptop needs a refresh. What's the status on using the GrubDAC from netbooks? A netbook makes an attractive option to use as transportable system with a GrubDAC+Carrie, but I sort of doubt their USB ports would be any better than my current laptop's.

I've got 2 netbooks.  None has given a problem with the GrubDAC.  Granted, I just discovered recently that they were absolutely the wrong choice to use for demonstrating USB-powered DACs, but they never did not work.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #1,028 of 1,079

I've got 2 netbooks.  None has given a problem with the GrubDAC.  Granted, I just discovered recently that they were absolutely the wrong choice to use for demonstrating USB-powered DACs, but they never did not work.

Coud you ellaborate on why they are bad choices?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,029 of 1,079

Coud you ellaborate on why they are bad choices?

I'm sorry ... I sometimes expect someone to get the context when they've been following all the pertinent threads, etc.
wink.gif

Yes - they are BAD choices because the DoodleBug proved they are crap when it comes to USB power/etc.  It's the same thing I've found for just about any laptop - including docking stations.  (The trouble with docking stations is that they are fed by the same power adapter as the laptop.)

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,030 of 1,079
Well, pout.

Excellent. We have to rate that as a successful build.

w

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,031 of 1,079
Hi All,

I feel a little out of my depth here (ok a lot). I got my GrubDAC built today. It was my first time soldering surface mount stuff, so it is a little messy, but I can't see any obvious bridges. When I plug it in, Windows sees it and the led comes on, but I'm not getting any sound out of it. I have checked 0v to 3.3v and get nothing there. Actually I don't seem to get anything from 0v to 5v either. I just re-flowed all of the surface mount stuff, but am still not getting any signal out. One thing I accidentally did, was to cut the "bridges" between the pins of the PCM2706 before realizing that they were meant to be there. Doh! So I created my own solder bridges there in the hope that it would suffice. Bad idea? I also did initially get solder from the pads to the top of the oscillator, but I have since cleaned that up. There is still some solder in the little groove between the top and the copper bit, does that matter?

I feel like I'm almost there, but can't quite make it over the line!

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Ian.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,032 of 1,079
  Hi All,

I feel a little out of my depth here (ok a lot). I got my GrubDAC built today. It was my first time soldering surface mount stuff, so it is a little messy, but I can't see any obvious bridges. When I plug it in, Windows sees it and the led comes on, but I'm not getting any sound out of it. I have checked 0v to 3.3v and get nothing there. Actually I don't seem to get anything from 0v to 5v either. I just re-flowed all of the surface mount stuff, but am still not getting any signal out. One thing I accidentally did, was to cut the "bridges" between the pins of the PCM2706 before realizing that they were meant to be there. Doh! So I created my own solder bridges there in the hope that it would suffice. Bad idea? I also did initially get solder from the pads to the top of the oscillator, but I have since cleaned that up. There is still some solder in the little groove between the top and the copper bit, does that matter?

Thanks,
Ian.

Well, the first thing we always ask is for good, clear, close-up pictures.

Any soldering mistakes around the oscillator will result in no sound. Make sure the soldering
there is very clean (no solder is where it shouldn't be). It sounds like that may be part of the
problem.
When you say "windows sees it", do you mean it is detected and installed properly?
That can be a good clue as to where to look for a problem.
Also, it sounds like you are telling us that you get no voltage at the 5 volt and 3.3 volt
test points. The LED being lit suggests at least the 5 volts is working.
Please re-check the test points.

Good luck!

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,033 of 1,079

Hi All,

Thanks,
Ian.

Any soldering mistakes around the oscillator will result in no sound. Make sure the soldering
there is very clean (no solder is where it shouldn't be). It sounds like that may be part of the
problem.
When you say "windows sees it", do you mean it is detected and installed properly?
Also, it sounds like you are telling us that you get no voltage at the 5 volt and 3.3 volt

Good luck!

Ditto.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, the way the GrubDAC is designed, the USB connection is through the PCM2706/7 portion of the circuit.  I believe it's quite possible to get a good USB connection, but then no sound from the Wolfson DAC portion of the circuit.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,034 of 1,079

problem.

Good luck!

Yes, I meant it is detected and installed in windows. I can select it as an output and send audio to it.
I took off c1 and checked all around the oscillator, none of the corners have a connection between the pads and the top. 

I guess maybe I'm checking the test points wrong. I'm putting a probe on the 0v lead, and the other in the 3v3 hole, and a probe on the 5v lead and 0v lead. Is that correct? I get 0v for both of those tests.

Here are some photos... there was what looked like a possible bridge at the bottom right of the PCM, you can see in the back lit pic. I have cleaned that up, but still get nothing. 
http://www.w2solutions.com/grubdac.jpg

Thanks for the help! I'm determined to get this going!

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,035 of 1,079
Apparently I can't attach images or post links... So I guess I'll cheat. This may land up posted twice so sorry about that!

Yes I meant that Windows detects and installs the grubdac correctly. I can select it as an audio output.

I pulled off c1 and checked the oscillator, there are no connections between any of the pads and the top.

I take it back about 3v3 and 5v. I don't know what I did last night, but both are reading fine today. 

Here is a "link" to my pic www DOT w2solutions DOT com/grubdac DOT jpg 

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back