The GrubDAC
Apr 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #692 of 1,079
My GrubDAC in a Hammond 1455C801 case. Panels designed in Front Panel Designer. No frills.

Installed three Panasonic FC 330uF caps instead of the supplied ones. Didn't do a comparison. It sounds gorgeous, especially when combined with my Mini³.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #693 of 1,079
That is a gorgeous grub! May I ask where you got the case? Everywhere I've found them they seem to be plain aluminum, but black is definitely more preferable in my book. I'd like to hijack your idea (immitation is the highest form of flattery, is it not?) but with a JDS Labs CMoy for an amp.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #695 of 1,079
Found it on mouser... I forgot to add BK to the parts number for black
redface.gif
 oops!

Many thanks, and again, excellent grub!

May 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #700 of 1,079
I have finished build the kit for my gf. But sometimes the there will be no sound but the led stays on. The grub dac is connected to an old receiver. When i was watching some shows suddenly there will be no sound after awhile and i would have to unplug n plug the grub in again. But the led stays on all the time n windows sees the device even tho there is no sound.

May 11, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #701 of 1,079

Quote:
I have finished build the kit for my gf. But sometimes the there will be no sound but the led stays on. The grub dac is connected to an old receiver. When i was watching some shows suddenly there will be no sound after awhile and i would have to unplug n plug the grub in again. But the led stays on all the time n windows sees the device even tho there is no sound.

This really sucks!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
  I've tried to post three times and got nothing but a blank post each time.

Let me try again - check the connections around the PC.  The grubDAC can get knocked offline if loads are added or removed to/from the PC-USB buss.  Less common, but also something seen, is the grubDAC knocked offline from a new signal connection (connecting the RCA jacks) from a source on the USB buss.

May 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #703 of 1,079
So I just built a GrubCableDAC teaching a friend how to do SMD soldering, and turns out the unit isn't working. The LED turns on and it's recognized by the computer, somewhat - in Windows, it displays as "3- USB Audio DAC". My working Grub (in my SSMH) displays as USB Audio DAC so I don't know what the number means. More importantly, there's no sound. I never had to troubleshoot on my first Grub so I don't know what points to test for voltages. I reflowed most of the joints and doublechecked some of the IC soldering, and everything *looks* okay... I'm not sure what the problem could be. Help? Thanks!

May 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #704 of 1,079
The number you see (3- USB Audio DAC) has to do with how many
different ports you pugged the DAC into. The first time you plug the DAC
into a USB port, that becomes #1. If you plug it into a different port, that
becomes #2. It makes no difference which ports the are, just the order in
which you used them.

May 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #705 of 1,079
Did u set the grubdac as default audio output?

On both my pc n my gf's i have to set the grubdac as default else it will use the onboard or my soundcard.
Also in my mediamonkey i have to set the grubdac as the audio out too.

Hope this help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back