The GrubDAC
Feb 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #211 of 1,079
BTW, there was a question in the Pics of Your Builds thread - the reason I didn't use any cable ties for strain reliefs was that the slots weren't deep enough to clear the lip of the lid. So in each case, the cables are locked in place with a screwed-down lid. When we go to production and if we stock machined cases, it'll be prudent to tie a couple of cable ties on the case interior side of each cable exiting the box - just so a jerk doesn't pull the them out of their pads.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #212 of 1,079
I should note that I tried grommets in the slots for a Bantam I built. It doesn't work very well. You could use silicon sealant to seal the wire in the slot. If you were to do this, you'd have to let it dry thoroughly before closing the lid. Silicon seal outgases acetic acid during drying.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #213 of 1,079
Just wanted to chime and say there is another working GrubDac in the world, i have not had time to do anything other than verify it works. It will be strapped to a carrie as soon as the group buy board finds its way to me. On a side note, anyone thinking on buying a Hakko 936 DO IT, best decision i have made in my foray into DIY.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #215 of 1,079
Wow that looks great!!!
Now if I could only get some 2707s I would be in heaven!

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #219 of 1,079
The intent is for Beezar to sell kits - in the GrubCableDAC version.
wink.gif
However, as you all probably know, the availability of PCM2706/7's is quite bad.
frown.gif
I'm working on a solution that will last quite awhile, but it'll be mid-to-late April before I can get a sizable quantity.

I'm going to try to include everything, though - RCA plugs, wire, and even heat shrink.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, just to repeat - those notches in the PCB's fit the Hammond translucent blue 1551HTBU exactly. So, that'll be the case we'll be using - just as with the very first one that cobaltmute made and the two I made a couple of weeks ago.

EDIT: Also, as cobaltmute emphasized before, they'll work fine with a mini-USB in the Carrie or the MAX V1.2.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #220 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'dere be plans
wink.gif

That would be something! I have all the parts for 4 proto and one with a bum 2707. I do have 6 on backorder at Mouser... It's holding up my carrie builds!

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #221 of 1,079
I will note that the BOM did change a bit from the prototype to production. We shrunk some of the capacitors to 0805 and the crystal has been changed to an oscillator. You'd need to verify what parts you have that can carry forward.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #222 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Also, as cobaltmute emphasized before, they'll work fine with a mini-USB in the Carrie or the MAX V1.2.

Why limit to the Carrie or MAX V1.2? At the price/performance point, you should put one in everything.
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #224 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why limit to the Carrie or MAX V1.2? At the price/performance point, you should put one in everything.
tongue.gif

Quite true! I need to start thinking outside of the PCB's-specifically-designed-for box.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be great if you could offer the pre-soldered chip service
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know about that one. Besides, IMHO, both of these chips (PCM2706/7 and WM8524) are easier to solder than the PCM2702.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #225 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute

No kidding! I have a whole list of folks to get them to. Cannot think of a better way to introduce my music sharing friends to great sound!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight
Would be great if you could offer the pre-soldered chip service

I have come to prefer SMD, even with my old (54) eyes! One thing though, I find I have to be in the right "place" to do it. If I am struggling, I put it away for another day, that has gotten rid of a lot of my frustrations. I can really move when I am in the mood the last Bantam took just under 30 minutes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back