The greatest sports moments you have witnessed
Oct 3, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 47
For cycling, I remember watching Greg Lemond snatch the Tour de France (1989 I believe) making up a minute in the final trial trial stage, and winning the Tour by the narrowest 8 seconds, literally snatching the title from Laurent Fignon. That moment stuck with me.

Oct 3, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #33 of 47
1.Tiger winning his first masters at 19 under
2.Jordans "final shot" in 98 to win it
Miami vs Ohio State 2002 national championship game. The overtime was amazing
3.tony hawk's 900
4.1995 mariners win over the yankees in the ALDS when edgar got a hit and griffey ran from first to home, and the mariners went to the ALCS for the first time.
5.95 mariners wildcard game against the As when randy johnson made a relief appearance.
6.win number 116 of for the mariners
7. STEVE BARTMAN (i am a cubs fan but live in washington)
8. watching the us win over 100 medals in the olympics last year.

Oct 3, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #34 of 47
Montana to Clark- 1981, Defined an entire era in Bay Area sports history. I was 10 and crapped in my pants!!

Jordan's fade away jumper over Brian Russell

Jordans 63 point playoff effort, fresh off foot surgery... against the Celtics.

Jackie Joyner Kersey and Michael Johnson's dominating Olympic performances... the gold shoes and all.

Ali lighting the olympic torch.

Borg-VS-McEnroe- Wimbeldon late 70s. Doesn't get any better than that. Maybe Sampra's last US open win... seeded 17'th.

Martina Navratilova... 3rd round Wimbledon singles loss.... Shes almost 50, Singles, on Grass!!! All while playing the doubles draw in parallel!!! SHES ALMOST 50!! 20 wimbledon titles, Ties Billie Jean King.

Eric "Sleepy" Floyd- 1987 Lights up the Lakers for 29 4th quarter points, and keeps the lowly Golden State Warriors in playoff contention against the mighty Lakers. And, he did it against Michael Cooper, one of the best defensive guards in history.

Kirk Gibsons homer- and it was against Dennis Eckersley!!!

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 47
Gretzky to Lemiux, 1987 Canada Cup, then 2002 Olympic mens + womens gold
(and of course Henderson '72, but I wasn't alive then unfortunately)

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #36 of 47
Most of these have Northern California ties:

Events I've seen in person:
1. Barry Bonds 600 HR
2. Brian Johnson's HR against Dodgers in Xtra Innings (97)
3. Ed Halicki No hitter against the Mets (mid late 70's)
4. Roger Craig fumble against Giants in NFC championship game
mad.gif

No Three-peat.

Events I saw in TV:
1. USSR/USA Basketball - 72 Olympics
confused.gif

2. 1999 World Series Game 3 (Earthquake)
3. Montana to John Taylor to win Super Bowl (??) against Bengals

Garrett,
I love the references for Jordon's 63 and Sleepy going unconscious.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #37 of 47
On TV:

miracle win over the soviets in 1980
jordan sinking the winning basket for carolina in the 82 ncaa finals
steelers coming from behind in the last 2 minutes against the cowboys for the superbowl (forget if this was 77 or 79, but I was REALLY young)

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #38 of 47
My favorite moments, in no particular order:

Jacques Villeneuve fending off Michael Schumacher to win the World Driver's Championship.

Tony Gabriel's catch to win the 1976 Grey Cup for Ottawa.

All three Patriot's Super Bowls

The Toronto Maple Leafs...well...uh...I guess not.

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

Eric "Sleepy" Floyd- 1987 Lights up the Lakers for 29 4th quarter points, and keeps the lowly Golden State Warriors in playoff contention against the mighty Lakers. And, he did it against Michael Cooper, one of the best defensive guards in history.

I never knew Sleepy did that (probably because I was 2 at the time) Learn something new everyday!

But I remember watching Sleepy play for the Rockets (I think he was the high scorer of the first Rockets game I ever went to).

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #40 of 47
Only noteworthy event that I recall seeing personally was Art Monk getting the record for the most catches for a receiver. I don't remember the year, early 90s I think. This record was of course broken later by the great Jerry Rice. I also got to see John Elway play that game.

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
4. Roger Craig fumble against Giants in NFC championship game
mad.gif

No Three-peat.

That one kills me even to this day
frown.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #42 of 47
It was 1989, and Bill Frieder had announced that he'd be leaving the University of Michigan after the NCAA tournament to coach at Arizona State. Well, then athletic director Bo Schembechler had no stomach for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Schembechler
We want a Michigan man coaching the Michigan basketball team

He elevated assistant coach Steve Fisher to interim head coach for the tournament...and they proceeded to go on a run right to the title game vs Seton Hall. The game went to OT, and Rumeal Robinson sank two pressure free throws to seal it for the unlikeliest title winners IMHO in the history of the NCAA.

What a game!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #43 of 47
Since I'm an old guy, I've seen most of the things mentioned already on live TV. I don't think I've seen any big historical events live.

Now I'll just mention that I've seen EVERY Superbowl--the most historic IMO being I and III.
I think I've also seen live every football game that has earned a "name":

-Heidi
-Immaculate Reception (or deception :very evil: )
-Hail Mary
-Holy Roller
-The Catch
-The Drive
-The Comeback (Bills/Oilers)

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #44 of 47
I got to cut school for the day so my mom's BF could take me to the World Series in 1972. Got to see Gene Tenace of the Oakland A's smack two out. Can't remember which game it was but I still have the ticket stub. I think it was against the Reds.
CPW

Oct 4, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #45 of 47
The most vivid sports moment that I remember the most was when the Chicago Bulls won the NBA Championships in '96. I can remember my cousins screaming their heads off as they were calling my uncle to tell him the good news. I think he was gambling at the time, and he was so happy when he heard the Bulls won, plus the winnings he was going to get from buddies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back