The Greatest Rock Movie (s)
May 17, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #31 of 71
oh! and how could i forget...

Repo Man
IMHO the best movie soundtrack ever. introduced me to American punk.

May 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
If it wasn't for Spinal Tap, I'd vote for Get Crazy. Dumb but fun movie about a theater owner putting on a New Years concert. Made in 1983.

Great fun movie, fun soundtrack, and cameos/appearances by some neat folks (Lee Ving from Fear, Lou Reed, even Fabian and Bobby Sherman).

i loved Get Crazy... fantastic cameos. i saw it in a double feature with The Ramones' movie, Rock and Roll High School.

also great cameos in Tapeheads (Fishbone, Jello Biafra, Junior Walker, Sam Moore) and Candy Mountain (Tom Waits, Dr. John, Leon Redbone, David Johanssen, Joe Strummer, Rockets Redglare, Arto Lindsay, Rita MacNeil)

May 17, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 71
The Doors

Val Kilmer gives an eerie depiction of Jim M's charachter and dark personality, and is quite good IMO...

Next one for most funny Rock movie has to be..
HeavyMetal (original 70's cartoon movie)

--John Candy's voice and best line in the movie..
"..there was no way I was going to walk around this place with my dork hanging out"
Funny
tongue.gif

May 17, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #35 of 71
This is Spinal Tap. THE masterpiece of rock cinema.

May 17, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #36 of 71
Of course the obvious:
This Is Spinal Tap
Almost Famous
Hard Days Night, Help, Yellow Submarine

But where's the love for High Fidelity? Classic Cusack and Black.

May 17, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #38 of 71
If you're interested in a rock & roll movie that's so bad it's good, check out "Wild Guitar", starring teenaged Arch Hall Jr. and the Archers. Arch starred in several very low budget movies in the early 60's which were produced and directed by his father who had a dream of turning Arch Jr. into the next Ricky Nelson or Elvis....a dream that never quite materialized. However, over the years Arch Jr's movies have built up a cult following and Arch who's no longer all that Jr. recently started making promotional appearances with some of his old "Archers" band members. I actually got talked into travelling to Pittsburgh a few weeks back to take in an Arch Hall Jr. and the Archers show. Here's an example of lyrics from one of Arch's bigger hits, "Valerie".

“Vitamins are good, they say,
And so’s a calorie
But I feel like a tiger
On one kiss from Valerie.”

Arch Hall Jr. then:
Arch%20Hall%20Jr..jpg

and now:
_DRM2132webmax.jpg

May 17, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #39 of 71
wow, no more votes for "grateful dead movie"? it really is one of the best concert movies, even for non-dead-heads. the music is good, the the deadheads themselves (circa mid-70's) are the real stars. watch out for the laughing gas tank!

May 17, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #41 of 71
I grew up Punk, so have fond memories for “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains”.

Fav docs would include: Fugazi's “Instrument” and more recently “Dig!”. Another doc I really relate and enjoy is “Dogtown and Z-Boys”.

May 18, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #42 of 71
Vic Ajax, I agree with you 110% on "Decline...." and "Repo Man" I loved the scene in "Decline..." where the iflmmakers/interviewers are ragging on a winpy punker. He professes his fanboydom of the band, then they ask "What songs do they play?" and he can't answer. so he gets all pissy and spits at them!

And one more I forgot: "Urgh! A Music War" AWESOME movie that is in essence one-song clips of many bands in concert. Wall of Vodoo, The Cramps (one of the BEST concert clips ever!), Dead Kennedy's, Police, Skafish, more more more.....

May 18, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #43 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
wow, no more votes for "grateful dead movie"? it really is one of the best concert movies, even for non-dead-heads. the music is good, the the deadheads themselves (circa mid-70's) are the real stars. watch out for the laughing gas tank!

I dunno, Redshifter. As much as you and I agree, and considering I'm a huge Deadhead, I didn't really like the Grateful Dead movie. I thought the fantasy sequences were too intrusive. And I just don't think the Dead are meant to be seen as much as heard. Led Zep, yeah, that's a rock show, but the dead are pretty sedate visually. But I did really enjoy the documentary "The Making of American Beauty", one of the better Rhino Records efforts.

Let's see, what else:
I like Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. "Echoes," the first song is fantastic, but the other songs are of the Floyd repetoire I don't really respond too, like "Careful with the Axe". The really too far out there stuff. But what I love about this movie in the in-studio footage of them recording Dark Side of the Moon. In particular, watching Gilmour solo! I later got the documentary "The Making of DSOM", one of those Rhino Releases that can be really hit or miss, but it didn't compare to the few amazing minutes of raw footage of the band simply at work which appears in "Live at Pompei"

One rock move I waited years to see was the infamous Rolling Stones documentary "****sucker Blues". Now I can see why it wasn't released. Pretty damn tedious.

May 18, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #44 of 71
Oh, heck, I forgot one the GREATEST rock films of all time. "The TAMI Show." I think it's now on DVD. At one time Michael Jackson was offering $5,000 to anyone with a copy of a videotape! It's said it was the concert which he created the "moonwalk" watching (stole it from James Brown). It was a concert held in New York (I think produced by Phil Spectre) starring Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley (the single most amazing rock song ever performed live in a film - amazing), the Ronettes, James Brown (at his peak), and the Rolling Stones are the headliners. A must-see!

May 18, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #45 of 71
Some other choices:

"Breaking Glass", "24 Hour Party People", and just for fun, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back