The Greatest Rock Movie (s)
May 16, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 71
My choice is "Heavy Metal". I don't know why the music was recorded so low? I had a couple friends that worked at the theater. (Yes, I saw it when it first came out, around 1980.) I watched it from the balcony seats with a bunch of friends and a cooler of beer. The balcony was closed off, and never used for regular seating. Everytime a song came on, they cranked up the volume and rocked the theater. Good times!

May 17, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 71
If it wasn't for Spinal Tap, I'd vote for Get Crazy. Dumb but fun movie about a theater owner putting on a New Years concert. Made in 1983.

Great fun movie, fun soundtrack, and cameos/appearances by some neat folks (Lee Ving from Fear, Lou Reed, even Fabian and Bobby Sherman).

May 17, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #23 of 71
May 17, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #26 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
"Whale Music" may be a little slow moving for some, but I thought it was pretty good as well. Very loosely inspired by Brian Wilson's life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_Music_(film)

That sounds really interesting. Thanks.

I guess I should add some other favorites:

The Monkee's "Head" - completely trippy.
"Sid and Nancy"
The Clash "Rude Boy"
The punk doc "D.O.A."
and of course, "Let it Be" how could I forget that one.

May 17, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
"Festival Express" is also quite good if you're into seeing Janis Joplin, Jerry Garcia, Buddy Guy, and The Band partying hard when they were young.

Just saw this 2 nights ago. Great show!

While "Sid & Nancy" had some great acting, I found it really depressing.

May 17, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarconiSalad
All of the above, and:

Yellow Submarine

definitely! a great restoration job on the DVD, too... i can watch it over and over again.

May 17, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #30 of 71
oh and two more...

The Decline of Western Civilization
brilliant documentary about the early L.A. punk scene, featuring Black Flag, X, Fear, The Circle Jerks, The Germs, Phranc ("I enjoy being a girl").

and

Athens, GA Inside/Out
documentary about the flaming hot 80s music scene in Athens, featuring R.E.M., B-52's, Pylon, Bar-B-Q Killers, Flat Duo Jets, The Squalls, Kilkenny Cats... the real birthplace of indy rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back