The great leap forward (amp question)
Apr 22, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JackCrank

New Head-Fier
I know this isn't exactly a source question but it does have to do with amps and I couldn't really think of a better place to post it. Anyways, recently I aged a year and received an amazing present of my dad's old Linn Katan speakers. Considering that speakers were going to be my next upgrade and were going to blow my entire budget I think it's time to start down the long horrible/wonderful road of swapping out the amp. I've had my Linn Classik for around 6 years now and I love it, but after listening around to other gear I've reached the point where looking for more.

Recently I've listened to a ton of great gear both tube and solid state including the Cayin a-88, the Prima Luna Dialogue 1, the Luxman 505 & 550, the Pathos classic 1, The Rega appolo, and the Leben CS-300 (or CS-300xs can't remember). All of these are integrated amps because I think that's the best use of my money and takes up the least space. My budget is around $2300 for an amp (the luxmans are way out of this range although the 505 is almost good enough to make me want to spend the extra dough). I think tubes are the way to go for my set up considering that I pretty much only listen to vinyl and I love that warm sound.

Anyways, to finally get to the point of this thread, do you audio gurus have any tips on what I should be looking for in a tube amp? Any brands I should be looking at? Anything that would sound better out of my speakers? Should I be looking at tubes at all?

As of right now I'm trying to get the time to check out some of the Cary amps over at sound by singer, and I've seen a bunch of deals on some of the Jolida stuff.

May 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 6
The problem is that Linn speakers usually have really complex crossovers designed to be powered by power amps with some serious welly whereas tube amps in this price range are likelier to be much happier driving something bigger, simpler and more sensitive.
Have you considered getting a Linn power amp which has the same footprint and hanging onto your classik which I think you can use as a pre-amp. Linn dealers also often have good offers on older Linn power amps which people have traded up.
Or else if you want to ditch the classik then maybe listening to something like a Naim Nait 5i? you could combine these with a tube preamp which would give you more of what you're after soundwise but still drive the Katans.

May 27, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm not familiar with your speakers, but I've had good experiences with Conrad Johnson amps. I'm using an old MV50 with a lush, wonderful midrange that has terrific synergy with vinyl and the ProAc 2.5 clones. Not half bad with the K-1000 hooked to the outputs, either. I've heard a few other CJ amps, and the house sound seems to be warm mids. I listen to a lot of classical, jazz, vocals, roots/alt.country, and acoustic music. I'm very happy with the setup.

You could get a very nice used CJ Premier model with your budget. Good company, their products hold up and they still service everything they've made, even their first models in the early 1980s, back when everyone else had turned away from tubes.

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the Leben CS300. It is incredible. Love the look too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back