The Grado SR325i Appreciation Thread!
Apr 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #91 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the 325i with a "bad" amplifier/dac such as the HeadRoom Total Bithead powered straight out of a computer?

EDIT: oops, forgot I already replied to you before.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #92 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a pair of gold headphones yesterday at a real steal (under $250). How can I tell which # they are? The box says #9050 on the back, but is this on the headphones anywhere?

Also, how many of these gold cans were made?

Remove the pads. The number should be hand-scrawled with a sharp tool into the black plastic ring that the pads were covering.

They made about ten thousand of the goldies before switching to the silver cups, so looks like you got a late model.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #93 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remove the pads. The number should be hand-scrawled with a sharp tool into the black plastic ring that the pads were covering.

They made about ten thousand of the goldies before switching to the silver cups, so looks like you got a late model.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're right! It's a bit crude, but it's there.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #94 of 112
Has anyone compared the ATH-es7 to the 325? I currently have the ES7 and love it, but I do wish there were more sparkly highs and even more frontal mids and crunchier guitars...can anyone help me out?
regular_smile .gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #95 of 112
When I bought RS1 few months back, I really wanted to like its sound. My first Grado was about ten years ago with SR80 and SR60. I really liked their Grado house sound and always wanted to try out RS1. So I finally bought RS1 semi-vintage model.

I had such a high hope for RS1 but it was sort of let down for me. It really did well in certain type of music genre. In a sense, RS1 has retained its house sound but also different sound than rest of the Grado lines that I had chance to listen and love it.

However, at the end of few months of listening to RS1, my HD600 was getting more head time than RS1. And I got rid of RS1, to me, it wasn't worth the price. I thought I was going to be satisfy with just a SR60. May be I should have give it more time to listen but when you have few months already and didn't care much for it, I feel it is time to move on.

Over the years, I found out I prefer bright sounding headphones than warm side. Thus, I wanted to try out SR325 after reading many threads about its sound signature. And I am so glad that I bought SR325i. This phone gives me everything that I wanted from original Grado sound that I found over 10 years ago and then some. I believe my HD600 is still overall winner for me but I have a feeling SR325i will stay with me for a very long time to come.

The only thing is though, I tend to dismiss any instant love-affair with any gear in a long run. But I am definitely loving my SR325i so far. I will just have to see how far this will go.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #96 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, at the end of few months of listening to RS1, my HD600 was getting more head time than RS1. And I got rid of RS1, to me, it wasn't worth the price. I thought I was going to be satisfy with just a SR60. May be I should have give it more time to listen but when you have few months already and didn't care much for it, I feel it is time to move on.

Over the years, I found out I prefer bright sounding headphones than warm side. Thus, I wanted to try out SR325 after reading many threads about its sound signature. And I am so glad that I bought SR325i. This phone gives me everything that I wanted from original Grado sound that I found over 10 years ago and then some. I believe my HD600 is still overall winner for me but I have a feeling SR325i will stay with me for a very long time to come.

Thanks for posting your impressions of the SR325i vs the RS1. I am constantly fighting the urge to buy the RS1. Having bought and sold the RS2i, I am skeptical that I would necessarily be bowled over by the RS1, given that I like the SR325is better than the RS2, so it's nice to read a post that supports that skepticism.
smile.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #97 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting your impressions of the SR325i vs the RS1. I am constantly fighting the urge to buy the RS1. Having bought and sold the RS2i, I am skeptical that I would necessarily be bowled over by the RS1, given that I like the SR325is better than the RS2, so it's nice to read a post that supports that skepticism.
smile.gif

If you preferred SR325i sound signature over RS2i, I strongly doubt that RS1 will win over your current SR325i. To me both RS2 and RS1 sound so similar with little bit more warmth from RS1 overall. Some might say it is more "musical" but SR325i is definitely more to my liking.

But you will always have that doubt on your mind so when you come up with a great deal to buy RS1, go ahead buy it and try it out for yourself. If you don't like it, you can sell the phone with very minimal loss like I did. Since there is so much love for RS1 with glowing reviews all over, I had to try it out for myself and decide, which I did.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #98 of 112
Quote:

The only thing is though, I tend to dismiss any instant love-affair with any gear in a long run. But I am definitely loving my SR325i so far. I will just have to see how far this will go.

I have exactly the same experience as you had with the RS-1 - I just had the GS-1000's instead. I always go back to the SR325is. After trying all the other Grados I havn't found anyone to be as satisfying to my ears as this one. I am awaiting the HF-2 and in a few weeks I will get a chance to play with the PS-1000 and I am looking forward to see if my beloved SR325's can stand their ground one more time....

Over the last 6 months I have sold most of my inventory off just to keep the SR325 including: GS1000 and K701.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #99 of 112
Quote:

But you will always have that doubt on your mind so when you come up with a great deal to buy RS1, go ahead buy it and try it out for yourself. If you don't like it, you can sell the phone with very minimal loss like I did. Since there is so much love for RS1 with glowing reviews all over, I had to try it out for myself and decide, which I did.

You are so right my friend. You know me well.
normal_smile .gif
Thanks for the advice.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #100 of 112
I was listening to my K81DJ (which has been sitting in the drawer for a while now) and I pulled out the inner padding for more detail - then I realize it is the same size as my SR325i housing diameter. So I put the padding in my 325i (like it did on K81DJ) and it fits perfectly without any need for mod.

I give it a quick listen and the brightness has been turned down a few notch, while the mid is a bit heavier and the bottom end is a tad lighter. A warmer, smoother sound signature if you may, but it retains enough Grado sound in it that I am planning to keep it that way.

Those of you who have both might want to give it a try.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #101 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to my K81DJ (which has been sitting in the drawer for a while now) and I pulled out the inner padding for more detail - then I realize it is the same size as my SR325i housing diameter. So I put the padding in my 325i (like it did on K81DJ) and it fits perfectly without any need for mod.

I give it a quick listen and the brightness has been turned down a few notch, while the mid is a bit heavier and the bottom end is a tad lighter. A warmer, smoother sound signature if you may, but it retains enough Grado sound in it that I am planning to keep it that way.

Those of you who have both might want to give it a try.
biggrin.gif

Sounds like the HD414 pads?!

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #102 of 112
Wow!  The last post here was 2 and a half years ago?  Maybe I'm not searching the right way or should look for a more recent appreciation thread.

I just received my first pair of Grados!  The 325 IS.  I think they sound fabulous and am very impressed.  My current stable of headphones includes the Sennheiser HD 650, AKG Q701, Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 80 and Beats Pro. 

After reading a lot of posts about the "Grado signature sound," I wanted to try out a pair and see how I would like them.  There seems to be a lot of people who think there is hate it or love it attitude when it comes to the Grados, so I guess I'm in the love it camp. 

I was listening to about 3 hours of classic rock and 80s music (Eagles, Journey, Phil Collins, Madonna, Pet Shop Boys,etc) and found the sound signature of the Grados to be very appealing.  They are somewhat in your face, although clear and sparkly.  They kind of remind me of my Beats Pro without all the low end bass.  You're kind of immersed in the sound like you're right there close to the stage.  My Pros make me feel like I'm right on the dance floor of the club.

I believe these will be my go-to headphones when listening to this genre of music, like how my Beats Pros are my go to set when listening to rap, hip hop, and dubstep, or my AKGs and Senns are my go-to cans for Jazz or classical.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #103 of 112
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I have exactly the same experience as you had with the RS-1 - I just had the GS-1000's instead. I always go back to the SR325is. After trying all the other Grados I havn't found anyone to be as satisfying to my ears as this one. I am awaiting the HF-2 and in a few weeks I will get a chance to play with the PS-1000 and I am looking forward to see if my beloved SR325's can stand their ground one more time....

Over the last 6 months I have sold most of my inventory off just to keep the SR325 including: GS1000 and K701.

and I have the same experience except with the Alessandro series, haha! I bought the MS Pro first, mistake - I tried to like it but I couldn't justify the price. Thought I would 'downgrade' to the MS2i, now we're talking! Favourite phone now, prefer it over everything else I've tried.

My question: Is it worth trying/buying the 325 if I already have the MS2?

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #104 of 112

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

and I have the same experience except with the Alessandro series, haha! I bought the MS Pro first, mistake - I tried to like it but I couldn't justify the price. Thought I would 'downgrade' to the MS2i, now we're talking! Favourite phone now, prefer it over everything else I've tried.

My question: Is it worth trying/buying the 325 if I already have the MS2?

If you like the MS2 I think you should keep them. I have not heard the Alessandro's but are they not supposed to sound very close to the Grados with only smaller differences?
If so I think you should just enjoy the MS2. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #105 of 112
I have found that the MS2i that I own really shapes my music tastes in a particular direction. I wonder if others have had a similar observation. I am still figuring out what works for these cans.

MS2i really likes string instruments and electronic punchy bass. It likes vocals that are more incisive in nature. I sometimes do really miss a wider soundstage and a forgiving smoother presentation.

Oddly I found myself listening to more of these:-

1) Sufi music: It features a lot of string instruments and some of them owe their origins to spanish gypsy music making them eye-blinking fast! Perfect for the MS2i.
Recommendation: A rough guide to Sufi music

2) Some flamenco: snappy, fast and string-happy.
Recommendation: Vengo

3) Blue Nile: I would've never listened to them if not for the MS2. They present Blue Nile really well. Sometimes the punchy bass gets a little too much.

4) I noticed a preference for Andrea Bocelli's serrated voice over the more laid-back and luscious Cesaria Evora. I miss the way Cesaria Evora's voice took me to a sultry humid Spanish afternoon.

5) Contrary to the popular notion, I am yet to like the way they present rock. It is just too upfront and fast. I guess I want something a bit more slower, more bassy. I remember the way my old cheaper and slower closed Sennheiser's really made Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden etc sound so good. The bassy smoother sennheisers added the feeling of an ambient space (like a large hall) to the music, which I loved. Just my observation with my limited experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back