The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2,491 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually wouldn't mind getting it either, as long as I know the rest of the phone is perfect, I think it would be funny. That said, it is impossible to know whether the rest of the phone is perfect so you really have to judge by what you can see. I am afraid that the rest of the phone is anything but perfect if they can't manage to get the engraving right.

@the monkey-- I agree in general. I love my RS-1s and I love grado, but this just an absurd mistake to make. What this means is that no one was even looking at them as they went out the door. I am cutting Grado a lot of slack. I am not canceling my order, and I won't as long as people keep saying that they sound great, because that is what I am actually worried about.

The Silver lining in this Perfect Storm Cloud is that in 30 days if you don't like this pinnacle of Quality, you can send it back for a refund.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #2,492 of 2,859
Quote:

I actually wouldn't mind getting it either, as long as I know the rest of the phone is perfect, I think it would be funny. That said, it is impossible to know whether the rest of the phone is perfect so you really have to judge by what you can see. I am afraid that the rest of the phone is anything but perfect if they can't manage to get the engraving right.

@the monkey-- I agree in general. I love my RS-1s and I love grado, but this just an absurd mistake to make. What this means is that no one was even looking at them as they went out the door. I am cutting Grado a lot of slack. I am not canceling my order, and I won't as long as people keep saying that they sound great, because that is what I am actually worried about.

Even by Grado/Alessandro standards (and I own and have owned several) the finish on them is atrocious.
Let's examine this phenomena - here's a shot of my #63 HEAD-F1s (HEAD-HELP lol), which have been on my head for about 45 minutes whilst sitting at my desk in my office ie zero wear and tear:

031.jpg

Yes, that is wood glue overspill, and the mashed-up c-clamp dowel peg is standard fitment.

They are really comfortable and are the best sounding Grados I have heard but still am I right to feel a touch
confused.gif
?

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2,493 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even by Grado/Alessandro standards (and I own and have owned several) the finish on them is atrocious.
Let's examine this phenomena - here's a shot of my #63 HEAD-F1s (HEAD-HELP lol), which have been on my head for about 45 minutes whilst sitting at my desk in my office ie zero wear and tear:

Yes, that is wood glue overspill, and the mashed-up c-clamp dowel peg is standard fitment.

They are really comfortable and are the best sounding Grados I have heard but still am I right to feel a touch
confused.gif
?

If you have seen any woody grados, the glue overspill isn't strange. I guess that it is difficult or impossible to clean the wood in that area without damaging anything. The dowel does look like a dog chewed on it, though.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2,494 of 2,859
Quote:

031.jpg

confused.gif
?

What is under the Cable on the Aluminum, is that a Rub Mark on the Aluminum or a Flash Artifact? Can you take a Pic of the Face showing he F1? Glue Globs are Standard, all models.

I just noticed the Glue Over spill on the AL, pretty tasty!!

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #2,495 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is under the Cable on the Aluminum, is that a Rub Mark on the Aluminum or a Flash Artifact? Can you take a Pic of the Face showing he F1? Glue Globs are Standard, all models.

No flash (cameraphone), I think it's residue left over from the cup polishing.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #2,496 of 2,859
Quote:

No flash (cameraphone), I think it's residue left over from the cup polishing.

Those cups don't look anodized? They almost look like Raw Aluminum. Is that a big overspill of Glue all over the AL?

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #2,497 of 2,859
Quote:

If you have seen any woody grados, the glue overspill isn't strange. I guess that it is difficult or impossible to clean the wood in that area without damaging anything.

I have owned wood and plastic Grados, but I am referring to the glue overspill out onto the aluminium cup which is visible with the pads fitted!

I'm not worried about the crappy dowels on my MS-1s (100 dollar phones after all) but I was expecting rather better on a headphone that has cost me £330 inc carriage plus another £45 import duty, which is roughly what I paid for my MS-Pros, which were finished absolutely perfectly, just flawless.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #2,498 of 2,859
Quote:

I have owned wood and plastic Grados, but I am referring to the glue overspill out onto the aluminium cup which is visible with the pads fitted!

I'm not worried about the crappy dowels on my MS-1s (100 dollar phones after all) but I was expecting rather better on a headphone that has cost me £330 inc carriage plus another £45 import duty, which is roughly what I paid for my MS-Pros, which were finished absolutely perfectly, just flawless.

If you got flawless MS-Pros you were indeed lucky. I had a friend of mine went through several of the "325/Pro" series and talked to the Folks at Alessandro who said the "water spotting" look was from "dirty" anodizing solution and that it would drive the costs of the Headphones up to keep the solution clean. So suck it up, or Grados aren't for you, he was basically told with some attitude. He sent them all back. The Glue overspill on those cups is dismal/typical.

Head-F1, what do you think you're special or sonethin'

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #2,499 of 2,859
Well, the F1 doesn't bother me since my HF-2s will likely be fully woodied shortly after they arrive, and the metal cups will sit in a drawer somewhere. I just need to find some time to fire up the lathe!

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #2,500 of 2,859
Thanks for the pic allenf and not a bad pic from a phone. If my hf-2s arrive looking like that, they're going back. That's just a little heads up for the good folks at Grado...I'm not afraid to return stuff and do expect quality...I'll exchange until I get a good one. I had to return my RS-1s because they had the channels mixed up and I made Grado pay for the shipping to and from so...

I especially dislike the aluminum housing...it's a reject for sure...should have been discarded and there is nothing "special" except for the fact that someone actually would allow it to be received without action, imho.

Glad it sounds good though but I hope you hold Grado to a bit of a higher standard than that.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2,501 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had notification that mine would be shipping on July 3rd.I've checked the USPS website but all it says is 'Electronic Shipping Info Received',so according to this mine hasn't been shipped yet.

See this page

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2,502 of 2,859
Hmm the quality leaves a lot to be desired for a ~$430 headphones. My SR225 seem to be better built than the ones shown in the picts.

And some cups having a F1 instead of FI shows lack of QC care... However for EU citizens needing to send back some headphones that already cost a lot to send here sets you back.

I will be getting mine soon and hopefully they will be well built (even if I don't expect to see it that way now...) The ones sold at CanJam had to be very well built as they were going to be showed for first time. Now they seem overloaded with work at Grado factory, and they prefer to release the product faster even if it is not as well built as it should.

It is a shame to see that the quality of these headphones will be variable depending on how the workers will be doing. I also see it unfair in a way, as you depend on your luck for buying them. However some people will be happy others sad. It always happens that way.

In the end if they sound good and don't have big flaws that just set you back I think I can live with having F1 instead of FI...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2,503 of 2,859
Quote:

031.jpg

confused.gif
?

Okay, let's label the issues. One: A little wood glue around the driver on the wood, this is typical.

Two: There looks to be a ton of wood glue between the wood and metal parts of the housing.

Three: There appears to be a poorly finished rough or burly spot on the housing below the cable entry.

Four: The dowel looks like someone beat it in with a pair of pliers or whatever random tool they had sitting around.

Five (maybe): Is that more wood glue that is trapped in the corner of the metal housing, to the left of the "rough" spot?

Six: Head-F1

This isn't looking good, QC-wise.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,504 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, let's label the issues. One: A little wood glue around the driver on the wood, this is typical.

Two: There looks to be a ton of wood glue between the wood and metal parts of the housing.

Three: There appears to be a poorly finished rough or burly spot on the housing below the cable entry.

Four: The dowel looks like some beat it in with a pair of pliers or whatever random tool they had sitting around.

Five (maybe): is that more wood glue that is trapped in the corner of the metal housing, too the left of the "rough" spot?

That's what you notice by looking at about 20% of the can. Wonder what the other 80% Looks like?

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #2,505 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Four: The dowel looks like some beat it in with a pair of pliers or whatever random tool they had sitting around.

Five (maybe): is that more wood glue that is trapped in the corner of the metal housing, too the left of the "rough" spot?

$430 is a joke for that kind of poor quality workmanship, imho. Too bad, because I was considering grabbing a pair. But now with these uneven quality issues it doesn't seem worth the money for the risk. I'll give you $230, grado.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back