The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 1, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #1,126 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zentactics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay,

More fuel to for the fire! I went to Can-Jam in LA yesterday and today and had a chance to "sample" the HF2 with the flat bowls. I loved them. I brought my beloved 325i with me to compare. I was blown away. They were more focused, balanced and more of the Grado goodness that I love.

Even my wife who is not really is not that impressed with my 325s in comparison to her 125s felt that they were clearly superior. So much so, that I have permission to buy a set as long as I share
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, that is SO not what I want to hear right now.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #1,129 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, that is SO not what I want to hear right now.

Don't resist. It is futile. Just click the button.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #1,130 of 2,859
@kg21

you might want to read part 2 of zanth's interview with john grado :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/int...-grado-127867/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he made this phone based on the 225. I write based on because although it is priced around the 225, it now has the wooden inner chamber but also a new driver! Yes, this is true, it is a new driver, not just a tweaking,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John was tighted lipped about it, but did say the driver was new

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #1,131 of 2,859
who cares wether the HF2 is described as a cutdown sr325 or a 'baby ps1000'? Both are right, as it looks like the sr325 but with the wood/metal combo it resembles the ps1000.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #1,133 of 2,859
I havent heard a 225 but my HF-1s are great and I hope the HF-2 are better. If the HF-1 was a modified 225 new driver and this is a modded 325/rs2 driver than maybe it is just a different flavor of these phones for us and the HF-3 will be a RS-1/? upgrade later on to be the hawt sex! Either way I love my HF-1 and hope the HF-2 brings me a new realm of earsex to go further up the chain!

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #1,134 of 2,859
I've been happily using my SR200s for the last 17 years. These HF2s look like an interesting upgrade, but I'm not sure how the sound has evolved over the years since the Joe Grado models. Anyone have any thoughts on how the HF2s would sound in comparison to the SR200s?

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,135 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by mol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been happily using my SR200s for the last 17 years. These HF2s look like an interesting upgrade, but I'm not sure how the sound has evolved over the years since the Joe Grado models. Anyone have any thoughts on how the HF2s would sound in comparison to the SR200s?

Whoa... if your SR200 have HP-1000 drivers in them (and I believe that's very likely) and you are the HP-1000 kind of guy, then I'm sorry to say: the only real upgrade for you would be the HP-1000 themselves.

Edit: To answer your question to some extent: Joe Grado's headphones were mainly produced for studio usage and are therefore tuned to sound very balanced and detailed. John Grado targets audio enthusiasts and his sound signature is therefore optimized to be more enjoyable and maybe fun. His signature is this forward midrange that makes voices, strings and guitars so delightful. The HF-1s - while clearly a Grado - has slightly recessed mids compared to the others and some people from CanJam also said about the HF-2s that they sound a bit ungradoish, because they are more balanced. I therefore believe that they sound more close to Joe's cans or the Alessandro series than the well known Grados that we know today.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,136 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had always found the GS1K boring at meets. Now after some more listening time, I continue to find it so.

LOL - that's odd especially coming from a HD650 and O2 owner. They are definitely colored but boring? Maybe only compared to the RS-1 which is hyper involving.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #1,137 of 2,859
I may need an extension cable if (really when heh) I decide to get these. The Grado cable is the obvious choice if it's supposed to match well with Grados according to the manufacturer (duh
tongue.gif
), it's also not terribly expensive and I'm not much of a 'cable believer,' at least not to an extreme. The downside I can think of is that the headphones have the new fat cable and maybe the extension is still the old cable. Now I know some will say that you'd have to try, match gear etc, but without being able to do that I'd just want as neutral a cable as possible that wouldn't change the sound.

So should I get the Grado extension with them if needed, is there another great reasonably priced cable, or should I wait until something comes up in the FS forum (which I've already scanned back a ways and found nothing yet.)

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #1,138 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may need an extension cable if (really when heh) I decide to get these. The Grado cable is the obvious choice if it's supposed to match well with Grados according to the manufacturer (duh
tongue.gif
), it's also not terribly expensive and I'm not much of a 'cable believer,' at least not to an extreme. The downside I can think of is that the headphones have the new fat cable and maybe the extension is still the old cable. Now I know some will say that you'd have to try, match gear etc, but without being able to do that I'd just want as neutral a cable as possible that wouldn't change the sound.

So should I get the Grado extension with them if needed, is there another great reasonably priced cable, or should I wait until something comes up in the FS forum (which I've already scanned back a ways and found nothing yet.)

This is a nice option

TecNec Cables & Connectors Premium Canare Stereo 1/4in Male to Female Cables Stereo 1/4in to 1/4in Cables at Markertek.com

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #1,139 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL - that's odd especially coming from a HD650 and O2 owner. They are definitely colored but boring? Maybe only compared to the RS-1 which is hyper involving.

I guess it depends on what we mean by boring. In the end, it didn't do much for me, so maybe I mean I found very little redeeming about the GS1K. But it's fair enough to say that it has a voice of its own.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #1,140 of 2,859
I can understand that Monkey. Some don't attach to the GS-1000 sound. At times, I have wondered why I have them, and other times, I'd rather hear them than my favorite all time phones. Strange indeed.

But I have tried to like and wanted to own the O2s and the HD650. The HD650 was not engaging probably due to rolled off highs and a bit muddy compared to the upper end phones.

The O2 is great but has that stat sound which is more artificial to me than the dynamics. (taste dependent - not trying to put them down, I'm an o2 fan), and the rolled off highs really make a laid back and none engaging listen for my preference. I end up being more engaged by the resolve of the headphone than the music itself which is a no no for me. That's all I was pointing out. The

GS-1000 is all about bringing music to life but fails in technical areas if one is more into that than the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back