The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #947 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn they look nice. But can I afford it?

I know I'll regret it later if I don't buy them, so I guess I can afford them
redface.gif

Well, that's exactly what I was thinking...
redface.gif

May 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #949 of 2,859
Im the total opposite of what other people have been saying. They look average..... Waiting on impression's though, but i dont think they look all that flash.

May 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #951 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well what exactly were you expecting? its a ****ing grado

I knew being a critic would stir something, the fact is... I think the receded cup look's way to small over something like the 325i. Other then that it looks like they just shaved a 1/4 off the cup and relabeled it. I havent heard them, soooo still giving em a chance in that area
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #953 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im the total opposite of what other people have been saying. They look average..... Waiting on impression's though, but i dont think they look all that flash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well what exactly were you expecting? its a ****ing grado

Both Accurate statements to a point.

I had a long conversation with a friend last night about what I thought they would look like.

My Prediction Last Night: 325s with a different lettering on them.

I had zero interest last night in ordering a pair. I am actually impressed with what he did today. I knew he wouldn't re-tool for a one-off that is relatively inexpensive and a limited production run. It would be too expensive. So, I figured he would take an existing can and customize or mod it.

Like he did with the HF-1. The HF-1 is a SR225 with a wooden driver holder and a Mahogany button.

Enter the HF-2, wooden driver holder and milled down 325 Cup. When I say milled down, yes, just a CNC adjustment. FAST and CHEAP just like my first wife! Throw some laser Etching on there and hey..

We're not worthy!
We're not Worthy!
We're not Worthy!

I can hear the chants now.

For some reason, I can appreciate something and still analyze it objectively and critically. As I mentioned before, last night I had no interest in this can, today I'm trying to figure how to get one. But I'm looking at it with my eyes open as to what it is. If you look at it as a tricked out 325 for $100 or so more, it's a lot of bang for the buck in the headphone world, where a Coat of Shellac can sometimes cost $300-$400 more.

I do think they look a ton better than a 325, so if you want a Hot-rodded 325, this is the Cat's whiskers!

May 30, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #955 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they come with an adapter to 1/4" jack.

these are terminated in a 1/4" plug...do you mean a 1/4"->1/8" adapter?

todd has already said these don't come with any extensions or adapters...

May 30, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #956 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these are terminated in a 1/4" plug...do you mean a 1/4"->1/8" adapter?

todd has already said these don't come with any extensions or adapters...

Meant that... and oh :/ >.< I'll have to buy one for my iPod or something. If I buy these, I won't have enough money for an amp...these probably won't need an amp right?

May 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #957 of 2,859
I've been happily rocking out to my HF-1's and haven't posted in months (and I'm sure a lot of HF-1's have changed hands since I last updated the list), until I got wind the HF-2 announcement a couple of weeks ago and I've been coming back here every few days. Figured I would post after some details were released, didn't really want to get caught up in 50 pages of speculation like the HF-1, lol.

I was lurking here for months thinking of going from Portapros and pulling the trigger on a Grado and the HF-1's had come at just the right time. Fast forward to now, and I'm reading a lot of soon-to-be first-time Grado owners with the HF-2 and that's pretty awesome! I hope everyone who pre-ordered enjoys them as much as I've enjoyed my HF-1.

The funny thing is I find myself in a position to pick up a Grado once more (an RS-1) except now there's an HF-2 to think about as well, so it's a bit of a predicament I'm in! If to be a little nit-picky about it, I wish they would have GRADO HEAD-FI SERIES on the cups instead, just to keep with the naming convention and all. Aside from that though, they are a sweet looking pair of cans at a very fair price IMO, and for John and Todd to be putting this together for the community once more is a pretty awesome deal. Just waiting on first impressions of it as well to help me get off the fence.

I must admit, I've always been enamored by the look of the buttoned RS-1 though!

May 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #958 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meant that... and oh :/ >.< I'll have to buy one for my iPod or something. If I buy these, I won't have enough money for an amp...these probably won't need an amp right?

You won't need an amp right away, but one will definitely give it some life!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #959 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both Accurate statements to a point.

I had a long conversation with a friend last night about what I thought they would look like.

My Prediction Last Night: 325s with a different lettering on them.

I had zero interest last night in ordering a pair. I am actually impressed with what he did today. I knew he wouldn't re-tool for a one-off that is relatively inexpensive and a limited production run. It would be too expensive. So, I figured he would take an existing can and customize or mod it.

Like he did with the HF-1. The HF-1 is a SR225 with a wooden driver holder and a Mahogany button.

Enter the HF-2, wooden driver holder and milled down 325 Cup. When I say milled down, yes, just a CNC adjustment. FAST and CHEAP just like my first wife! Throw some laser Etching on there and hey..

We're not worthy!
We're not Worthy!
We're not Worthy!

I can hear the chants now.

For some reason, I can appreciate something and still analyze it objectively and critically. As I mentioned before, last night I had no interest in this can, today I'm trying to figure how to get one. But I'm looking at it with my eyes open as to what it is. If you look at it as a tricked out 325 for $100 or so more, it's a lot of bang for the buck in the headphone world, where a Coat of Shellac can sometimes cost $300-$400 more.

I do think they look a ton better than a 325, so if you want a Hot-rodded 325, this is the Cat's whiskers!

Interesting take on the development of this headphones les_garten.
Lets see what the different reviews say. "Comparisons" too

May 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #960 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If to be a little nit-picky about it, I wish they would have GRADO HEAD-FI SERIES on the cups instead, just to keep with the naming convention and all.

I was just looking at the pics and thinking the same thing. "GRADO HEAD-FI SERIES " would also occupy less surface space, provding another subtle, tasteful improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back