The Golden Compass trailer
May 23, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 15
Nice, and thanks for the heads-up. We read those books -- or listened to books on tape -- to all of that series and I agree that they should be good movies. I just wish it were coming out sooner than December.

May 23, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 15
I loved the books, and the trailer looks so tasty. I love it! Can't wait.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 15
****!!! Thank you SO much for alerting me to this! That series of books are by far the best books I've EVER read and I was so looking forward to the movie!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Looks like its going to be an awesome move too! Can't wait!

May 24, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the heads up. I loved "His Dark Materials": I sure hope the movie is as good as the trailer!

May 24, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 15
Wow... I read the book so long ago. The nostalgia, heh.

I can barely remember the story, but I think I enjoyed it every much as I did Harry Potter.

Edit:

Interesting. Eva Green and Daniel Craig are in this... but they're not playing opposite each other like in the last Bond movie. Can't wait to see Metatron in the third (I think?) movie.

- lk

May 25, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great
mad.gif

Now another spectacular film based on a book I haven't read
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'll have to hit the bookstore and do some catch-up reading.

Please do. They are AWESOME books. I enjoyed them WAY more than Harry Potter which, IMO, is over rated.

May 25, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 15
Great books. The story is on an almost-childlike level (fantasy, etc.), but there are strong philosophy and religious undertones that are best understood by adults. To me, they were far more interesting than Harry Potter, Eragon, etc.

The movie looks kinda like Narnia, judging from the trailer...ironic, because Pullman was criticizing Christianity through high fantasy while Lewis glorified it.

May 25, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 15
actually, I only read the series staring from "the Subtle Knife" I never got a change to read the golden compass, but hey, judging from the second and third book, I am definitely going to see this movie

May 25, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 15
I can't wait!!! I really can't gush enough about these books. I love them so so so so so so so so so so much. My favourite books by far, since the first time I read them in middle school. More than the movies, though, I can't wait until he writes The Book of Dust. Anyone that says that they're "just children's books" is missing out on the genius that these books are. Every time I reread them (which is about 2 or 3 times a year), I find new things in it. No book has changed my philosophy on life more than these three.

May 25, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait!!! I really can't gush enough about these books. I love them so so so so so so so so so so much. My favourite books by far, since the first time I read them in middle school. More than the movies, though, I can't wait until he writes The Book of Dust. Anyone that says that they're "just children's books" is missing out on the genius that these books are. Every time I reread them (which is about 2 or 3 times a year), I find new things in it. No book has changed my philosophy on life more than these three.

Can't agree more
biggrin.gif

What is 'The Book of Dust' BTW?

May 25, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't agree more
biggrin.gif

What is 'The Book of Dust' BTW?

The Book of Dust is a book Pullman is working on that will include many short stories to expand the universe of HDM. Apparently there will be stories on how Iorek and Lee met, the backstory on Serafina Pekkala and Farder Coram, Lord Asriel and Mrs Coulter, etc. Here is a site that will explain it better than I can.

Have people here read Lyra's Oxford? What did you think?

May 25, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Book of Dust is a book Pullman is working on that will include many short stories to expand the universe of HDM. Apparently there will be stories on how Iorek and Lee met, the backstory on Serafina Pekkala and Farder Coram, Lord Asriel and Mrs Coulter, etc. Here is a site that will explain it better than I can.

Have people here read Lyra's Oxford? What did you think?

Oh ok. Can't wait!

Yeah I read Lyra's Oxford. Pretty good, but didn't really seem to do much. Not as good as the HDM trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back