The Godspeed You! Black Emperor Appreciation Thread

What is your favourite Godspeed You! Black Emperor Album? (And Why?)

• F♯ A♯ ∞ (1997)

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yanqui U.X.O. (2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (2012)

• Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress (2015)

• Luciferian Towers (2017)

• G_d's Pee at State's End! (2021)

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2023 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheDreamthinker

Headphoneus Supremus
Welcome to the
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Appreciation Thread

You likely would not have found your way here without knowing about Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the first place.

But by way of summary, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (also known as GY!BE or simply Godspeed) are a Post-Rock and Experimental Rock collective hailing from Montreal, Canada. Founded in the 90s, they are a band prominently associated with the Post-Rock scene. Despite rarely involving vocal performances, their music often incorporates themes of anarchist, dystopian and anti-war messages.

Their sound is notable for highly layered and instrumental arrangements which often grand, chaotic crescendos.

Their live performances usually involves a visual component.

Given the rather unique nature of their music, incorporating aspects of both intricate instrumental layering and noise, this thread serves to discuss questions like:
  • What type of headphones and IEMs do you think fit well with GY!BE's music?
  • What sonic properties do you think lend themselves well to GY!BE's music?
Obviously, you are more than welcome to also discuss
  • GY!BE's music in general
  • their live performances
  • give recommendations on similar bands
  • everything else related to GY!BE and post-rock
Lastly, GY!BE has obviously been discussed in other threads before. But I hope that this can become the one-stop-shop thread for people interested in GY!BE and their music.

Hope! :hammer:

- TheDreamthinker

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Was just asked what 3 albums would I take with me on a desert island. GY!BE - any of them.
Saw them live with my son last year. Was one of the best live experiences I have ever had.

What type of headphones and IEMs do you think fit well with GY!BE's music?
This is one I am still chasing. I really enjoy the quality of the drone on my CFA Andromedas

What sonic properties do you think lend themselves well to GY!BE's music?
Need a good mid sound for the guitar drone, without getting too bright for Sophie to shine

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Lucky that you were able to go to a GY!BE concert with your son. Must have been a very nice father-son experience. I have found it difficult to take people, because it's just not the most 'easily digestible' bands.

I also think speed and layering might be helpful. I had the chance to briefly listen to Storm on some Stax L500 and L700. It was quite the experience (and re-enforced me in my belief that I really need to get myself some Stax).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back