The future of lossless formats
Nov 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Gamingmusiclove

100+ Head-Fier
Its been a while since the creation of mp3. And by "a while" i mean  21 years. Its a fact that technology has advanced a lot since then. We had creations like WAV, SA-CD, DSD playback, and mainly, FLAC which are not what i would call new, but they are definitely newer than mp3. The main reason why mp3 became the standard was that you could store many songs and they wouldnt take much memory space, meaning that you could store (in low file rates) at least 6 albums in less than 500mb. But with time, memory space became wieder, much, much wieder. we have 128 gb micro sd cards and upcoming 256gb micri SDcards. With all of this, i ask the audio technology community, When will lossless audio formats will became the standard? SA-CD and DSD need expensive gear to run naturally, so i think that lossless is what i think is more capable of becoming the standard. I can´t predict the future, but i see this happening. What do you think? 

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 66
Guess it depends on how you look at it.  MP3 while an older standard hasn't stood still.  It has been improved in the quality of encoding over the years.  It might not be the best and most efficient format available, but it lags by only a small amount.

For most people and most purposes somewhere around 256 or 320 kbps MP3 becomes indistinguishable from lossless. 

Now lossless is used more and more which is a trend that slowly continues.  But I don't see it supplanting MP3 anytime soon.  The good news is with a small amount of effort on your part you can abandon it right now if you wish.  As long as people buy iTunes and the like at 128 kbps there is not much pressure to raise that or go to lossless except when you can charge more for doing so.  BTW, check out Tidal if you are looking for a lossless streaming service.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 66
  Guess it depends on how you look at it.  MP3 while an older standard hasn't stood still.  It has been improved in the quality of encoding over the years.  It might not be the best and most efficient format available, but it lags by only a small amount.

For most people and most purposes somewhere around 256 or 320 kbps MP3 becomes indistinguishable from lossless. 

Now lossless is used more and more which is a trend that slowly continues.  But I don't see it supplanting MP3 anytime soon.  The good news is with a small amount of effort on your part you can abandon it right now if you wish.  As long as people buy iTunes and the like at 128 kbps there is not much pressure to raise that or go to lossless except when you can charge more for doing so.  BTW, check out Tidal if you are looking for a lossless streaming service.

i get that but i see no logival reason to still use mp3. Obviously, most people don´t notice the difference yet most audiophiles do. You won´t punish anyone for the upgrade, and yes, i have a lossless library now

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 66
  i get that but i see no logival reason to still use mp3. Obviously, most people don´t notice the difference yet most audiophiles do. You won´t punish anyone for the upgrade, and yes, i have a lossless library now

Well depends on the circumstances.  I personally keep everything lossless in my library.  I sometimes do hobbiest recordings, and will send those for the people I recorded to sample using MP3.  I can provide it to them via dropbox or similar download service lossless.  Even high bitrate VBR MP3 requires only about 15% of the bits for them to download.  So they prefer the quick download to the lossless file.  Of course I get them the lossless files later in person.

So like many things in life it comes down to good enough and use of resources.  If you were a business, and download millions of 128 kbps MP3 with only 1% or 2% of your customers complaining, you aren't going to up the resources involved by a factor of ten to all those customers.  You will perhaps try and make more money providing the better version for a bit more money.  If enough of your income moves to the higher quality you will in time drop the low quality.  So far hasn't happened.  Logical or not that is how things are.

Of course don't mistake me for disagreeing that everything should be lossless.  I sure wish it were.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 66

Well depends on the circumstances.  I personally keep everything lossless in my library.  I sometimes do hobbiest recordings, and will send those for the people I recorded to sample using MP3.  I can provide it to them via dropbox or similar download service lossless.  Even high bitrate VBR MP3 requires only about 20% of the bits for them to download.  So they prefer the quick download to the lossless file.  Of course I get them the lossless files later in person.

So like many things in life it comes down to good enough and use of resources.  If you were a business, and download millions of 128 kbps MP3 with only 1% or 2% of your customers complaining, you aren't going to up the resources involved by a factor of ten to all those customers.  You will perhaps try and make more money providing the better version for a bit more money.  If enough of your income moves to the higher quality you will in time drop the low quality.  So far hasn't happened.  Logical or not that is how things are.

Of course don't mistake me for disagreeing that everything should be lossless.  I sure wish it were.

i guess thats true, i do find it hard for lossless to become the standard, but its a way to please both audiophiles and not affect non-audiophiles, though in youtube theres another story, mainly because it would take way longer for videos to load. I started this thread because i dont know that much about the theme, and i would love to hear some other opinions

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 66
  i guess thats true, i do find it hard for lossless to become the standard, but its a way to please both audiophiles and not affect non-audiophiles, though in youtube theres another story, mainly because it would take way longer for videos to load. I started this thread because i dont know that much about the theme, and i would love to hear some other opinions

To me compression is just the next paradigm. The guys developing the algorithms are using psychoacoustics to determine what we can and can't hear, just as the guys running audiological testing back in the day were doing when coming up with frequency hearing limits that gave us the 20kHz limit we use today. If the research can show, scientifically, that lossy codecs remove only unhearable things, then we should embrace them as we did digital music (well, some of us anyway :)

That being said, until something akin to a sampling theorem cements lossy formats as «the way», I'm using my easily bought hard-drive space to store FLACs.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 66
I think the reason for sticking with lossy compression these days is more to do with bandwidth than storage space, due to the trend towards cloud based streaming services. Why would those services use 4 times the bandwidth to stream lossless audio, when the majority of their users would not even notice?

The users don't want to use more of their data cap on their data plans either.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 66

To me compression is just the next paradigm. The guys developing the algorithms are using psychoacoustics to determine what we can and can't hear, just as the guys running audiological testing back in the day were doing when coming up with frequency hearing limits that gave us the 20kHz limit we use today. If the research can show, scientifically, that lossy codecs remove only unhearable things, then we should embrace them as we did digital music (well, some of us anyway :)

That being said, until something akin to a sampling theorem cements lossy formats as «the way», I'm using my easily bought hard-drive space to store FLACs.

Exactly.

I can't tell the difference between FLAC and V0 VBR. Modern mp3 aren't the ones back from 1998 and to me sound like CD quality.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 66
One of the problems with MP3, which I only became aware of when I read Monty Montgomery's lengthy paper about digital audio and sampling, is that MP3 files of the same density, say 128 Kbps, that have been ripped from the same source but with different ripping software, are not all of the same fidelity. In fact they can differ quite widely and there is no real measurement which can tell you that. The format itself does what it 'says on the tin' and carries sound data in a standard format which an MP3 player can interpret and convert into a PCM file to pass through a DAC. The transfer medium will have no effect on fidelity (unless its is faulty or badly designed) and neither will the unpacking software on your player or PC, but the DAC definitely will have an effect on fidelity and the more information it is given about the original sound wave the better it will perform. Ripping, or rather compaction algorithms, must be very complex, and there must be lots of different methods, little tricks that work etc., I haven't done much reading about them except the non lossy methods, enough to convince myself that they really are non lossy. So, unlike players (foobar, VLC, etc) which all do pretty much the same thing and don't affect fidelity, the compaction algorithms for lossy formats can make a big difference and Monty explains this very well. It is his job after all.

The compaction algorithms in the original MP3 ripping Apps back in the 90s were very primitive, so even at 256kbps they didn't do a great job. They have been gradually improving and modern compaction algorithms are far better because a lot of Mathematicians have worked out clever methods of compacting digitised audio waves in ways which retain more information. This will be easier to do the more processing power you have available. (This is why FLAC encoders allow you to select the compression level you want depending on how much time you want to allow your PC to spend working on it. With FLAC this doesn't affect fidelity, just the amount of compaction you can achieve.) I imagine that there are MP3 rippers which have a similar setting (not sure, I don't do it nowadays) so you can allow them to spend longer and capture more information at the same level of compaction. I have been told by a couple of friends that MP3 files from iStore sound better than those they have ripped themselves at the same density, and this is probably because nowadays commercial ripping is done using more advanced compaction algorithms running on a big fast computer which it is better able to exploit them.

If, like me, you have a random collection of MP3 files you have accumulated from various sources and ripped on various packages over the years, and you are the sort of person who reads this stuff, then you are probably thinking, '**** that means I really need to redo them all using blah blah software etc etc'. Or you can just start doing all your CDs again using FLAC at whatever compression level suites you, and not have to worry about whether the compression algorithms are good enough for your ears. You will never have to rip them again, if you keep a proper backup, because that is the best you can achieve with CD format, because it is lossless. So I agree, there seems little point in continuing to use MP3 if you are prepared to spend a little more money on some disc drives, SD cards, broadband speed (if you are streaming or downloading) and Home Ethernet (if you are streaming around your house).

The irony of this is that the reason all this clever audio compaction Mathematics has become 'surplus to requirements' is that somewhere else, I have no idea where, another group of clever Mathematicians have been working away on modulation methods. Their discoveries and the new techniques they have led to, have enabled an absolutely massive increase in the amount of data we are able to transmit and store. IMHO this is the first great technical advance (or 'wonder' ) of the 21st Century, and it appears that it is going to continue increasing at a similar rate for some more years, but it will start to hit some law of diminishing return eventually.

Elsdude says - 'For most people and most purposes somewhere around 256 or 320 kbps MP3 becomes indistinguishable from lossless.'

I agree with that and I think the only time it really makes a difference is when we are sitting and listening to music to the exclusion of all else. Properly listening and really absorbed in it, enjoying it and feeling it. We used to do that a lot but we don't so much any more. I certainly didn't for about 30 years.

Now if you are saying to yourself, 'well I get that feeling from MP3s'. Of course you do, you can get that feeling the first time you hear 'Be My Baby', whether it is on medium wave radio, an old Dansette, an MP3, whatever. And if you appreciate that and it is important to you (and you are in a small minority if it is) then you will get that feeling more intensely and with more enjoyment if you listen to it from a good non lossy source played through a good DAC etc. You will immediately notice that it sounds 'better' and if you then do the same thing with a really good vinyl pressing, (and there is a big long list of caveats about all the things that can be poor or can cause problems, so all of those have to be right), then you will immediately notice that it sounds 'better' again.

RRod -- if I haven't bored you to death? you know me already lol. You refer to 'until something akin to a sampling theorem'. Is this something that people discuss as a possibility? Has it been speculated about anywhere? or do you know if there is anything written about it???

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 66
... The compaction algorithms in the original MP3 ripping Apps back in the 90s were very primitive, so even at 256kbps they didn't do a great job. They have been gradually improving and modern compaction algorithms are far better because a lot of Mathematicians have worked out clever methods of compacting digitised audio waves in ways which retain more information. ...

You might be confusing two different mechanisms. There are two parts to MP3 (or any other lossy) encoding. The first part decides what parts / sounds can be discarded because you wouldn't hear them. This accounts for the majority of the size reduction. The second part takes the data from the first step and losslessly compresses it. The "decide which sounds to discard" algorithms have improved over time. The lossless compression step hasn't changed.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 66
RRod -- if I haven't bored you to death? you know me already lol. You refer to 'until something akin to a sampling theorem'. Is this something that people discuss as a possibility? Has it been speculated about anywhere? or do you know if there is anything written about it???

Nothing I've seen literature on*. The sampling theorem tells us what fixed sample rate we need to capture the limits of human hearing. The next step is to allow for variation in the wave-form that throws away content which, in an isolated context, would be audible, but that in the context of the sounds around it is actually inaudible. You can get a sense for this by doing a diff between the reconstructed WAV from a decent lossy codec and the original WAV. You'll be able to hear plenty of sounds (unlike diffs from hi-def audio resampling), but you'll start to get a sense for what/when things get discarded by a given codec. This is easier to hear if you do an ABX of the whole track that lets you switch back and forth between the original file and the difference file.

I have yet to see delineated a clear set of "rules" for when content can be discarded. This is probably because the problem is harder to test than, say, our frequency hearing limit. But perhaps one day someone will go "eureka" and find the answer.

*Note I don't mean there isn't a lot of literature on psycho-acoustics. I just haven't seen a "theory-of-everything" postulated for the subject

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 66
I would like to add something, which is just a thought in my infinte ignorance. I believe that we are way too close to reach the "perfect file". There will be a point where we cant hear the difference. So what will de focus, then, in the whole audio technology? Well, i think we will try to do the opposite, if we are not doing this already. Take a look at Dolby soundfiles. I hate them for music, but they are truly amazing for everything else. Audio technology will try to perfect very specific areas, because soon enough the perfect sound will be reached

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 66
I would like to add something, which is just a thought in my infinte ignorance. I believe that we are way too close to reach the "perfect file". There will be a point where we cant hear the difference. So what will de focus, then, in the whole audio technology? Well, i think we will try to do the opposite, if we are not doing this already. Take a look at Dolby soundfiles. I hate them for music, but they are truly amazing for everything else. Audio technology will try to perfect very specific areas, because soon enough the perfect sound will be reached

I think if you're talking about playback of a mono file, then we are already at the perfect file as far as audibility goes. The next questions are a) can we make the files smaller yet audibly identical and b) can we improve sound quality aspects that *don't* have to do with frequency reproduction and dynamic range. Dolby and other DSP are trying to help answer b), and mp3/vorbis/aac/etc. are trying to answer a).

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 66
I think if you're talking about playback of a mono file, then we are already at the perfect file as far as audibility goes. The next questions are a) can we make the files smaller yet audibly identical and b) can we improve sound quality aspects that *don't* have to do with frequency reproduction and dynamic range. Dolby and other DSP are trying to help answer b), and mp3/vorbis/aac/etc. are trying to answer a).

I think that point a) wont be important in the future, mainly because of moore's law, if we apply it here. Servers will become better, Disk storage will become bigger and computers will become more efficient.

Side note: i always find it kind of funny how you can't apply moores law in audio, because audio technology is way too subjective to say it gets better. Yes we get expensive tech with every year, we get planar, tesla, etc. But the orpheus is still considered the best, which is a 20+ years headphone

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 66
Side note: i always find it kind of funny how you can't apply moores law in audio, because audio technology is way too subjective to say it gets better.

Actually, it can be applied to audio electronics, even if not necessarily at the same rate as in the case of computing power. Amplifiers (for typical dynamic headphones and speakers used by most consumers) and DACs can now be audibly transparent with cheap mass manufactured integrated circuits. However, for simple playback of CD quality audio, these already hit the point of diminishing returns a while ago, so they do not "improve" because for such purposes they are already good enough.

Transducers are mechanical devices that are still not audibly transparent (mainly because even the best ones have too much frequency response variation), and they have not been improving as fast as integrated circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back