The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,531 of 2,251
Could you compare it with other TFZs?.

Also I would like to ask you guys. Which microphone cables do you recommend for the TFZs 0.78mm? And is the TFZ Bluetooth cable worth it?

Hey! As mentioned, this is my 1st tfz so can't really introduce you to any other model. With regards to cable, I tried the various cables from KZ on my S2 Pro. 1. standard cable, 2. silver plated 3. gold&silver plated. Unfortunately, I think it would be better to keep with the new stock tfz cable. The reason being cable 1 didn't provide as many details as the stock and cable 2&3 actually boosts the bass and treble a fair bit. Which can be good to bass heads and treble lover. However, the downside is that it causes the whole mids spectrum to be unusual dull and flat. Not sure if you know what is a bandpass filter, but it sounded like an inverted version. Which mean the response is generally something like:

flat,drop,flat,rise,flat

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,533 of 2,251
Hello, guys and gals. The TFZ Exclusive King is on sale for $70. I know it's a bit older model, so I was wondering how it compares to other recent models in that price range and whether that price is a good deal?

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #1,534 of 2,251
I purchased my first IEM (ZSN Pro) after seeing a lot of reviewers praised them for their great quality with the equally cheap pricing. But after using it about a week, the treble was too piercing for me even after I had used EQ to tune it and change the stock cable to their aptx bluetooth module.

With that, I decided to Iook for another IEM. After searching a lot of infos through reviews, I bought TFZ T2 Galaxy. Lucky me, the store that was selling T2 was on promotion, so I got it pretty cheap + got their hard case as a bonus.

I must say it really worth the money. The sound of T2 was far better than my ZSN Pro without a doubt. It sounds perfect on my amateur ear. It was very rich & clear with almost no sibilance. The only problem that i had with it was driver flex.

Long story short, I crave for another upgrade & thus decided to buy the TFZ No.3 after some contemplation whether to buy no.3 or My Love Edition 2019 since both have a good driver in it. But I can say through my experience, that no.3 definitely is a good upgrade for those who are looking for an upgrade from T2 galaxy.

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,536 of 2,251
I purchased my first IEM (ZSN Pro) after seeing a lot of reviewers praised them for their great quality with the equally cheap pricing. But after using it about a week, the treble was too piercing for me even after I had used EQ to tune it and change the stock cable to their aptx bluetooth module.

With that, I decided to Iook for another IEM. After searching a lot of infos through reviews, I bought TFZ T2 Galaxy. Lucky me, the store that was selling T2 was on promotion, so I got it pretty cheap + got their hard case as a bonus.

I must say it really worth the money. The sound of T2 was far better than my ZSN Pro without a doubt. It sounds perfect on my amateur ear. It was very rich & clear with almost no sibilance. The only problem that i had with it was driver flex.

Long story short, I crave for another upgrade & thus decided to buy the TFZ No.3 after some contemplation whether to buy no.3 or My Love Edition 2019 since both have a good driver in it. But I can say through my experience, that no.3 definitely is a good upgrade for those who are looking for an upgrade from T2 galaxy.

Could you tell me if the no3 has better resolution and imaging than the T2?.
I've tried the T2 and even though the mids and highs are less sharp than the S2 still sharp to me, is the no3 less piercing and sibilant than the T2?. I'm really a treble sensitive and those claps could be a problem for me.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,537 of 2,251
The tuners at TFZ struck lucky with the No. 3. It is just a well tuned IEM. The BLON 03 tuners struck even luckier. It is an exceptional sounding IEM. Two of the best.

I am a bass head and I love the TFZ No. 3 for it's great subbass quantity and extension. Very fun sounding signature. And of all the single DD IEMs I own, I gotta say it has the best clarity and details of the bunch. It won't be able to compete in the details segment with dedicated multi BA sets, but it comes quite close.

I found the TFZ No. 3 very good, but it's not perfect for me in a few areas:
1) Midbass bleed - I actually like it for warmth to the lower mids but I suspect some may not like it
2) 8khz spike - a bit painful for horns and trumpets and female vocals occasionally are shouty. I occasionally have to turn down volume for female vocals.
3) Quite hissy with some devices, possibly due to the high sensitivity of the TFZ No. 3 - usually disappears with music on, but at slow songs in quiet areas it can be noticable. So far to mitigate this, I use the TFZ No. 3 with an amp.
4) average soundstage

If they could fix these areas, they could be genuine giantkillers. I'm actually turning to my Semkarch SKC CNT1 more for my basshead needs in view of the shouty 8khz peak.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,538 of 2,251
Could you tell me if the no3 has better resolution and imaging than the T2?.
I've tried the T2 and even though the mids and highs are less sharp than the S2 still sharp to me, is the no3 less piercing and sibilant than the T2?. I'm really a treble sensitive and those claps could be a problem for me.

Yes, I can say that the resolution is clearly better than T2 and the imaging is more on the point. The staging too, I can feel it is a bit bigger than the T2.

I think i was sensitive too to trebles because sometimes when I was listening to some tracks with T2, my ears were hurting a little.

But so far I haven't experienced any sibilance or piercing treble, even when I listen to instruments that involve high notes. But still, I will update you soon after I burn-in it longer.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,539 of 2,251
The tuners at TFZ struck lucky with the No. 3. It is just a well tuned IEM. The BLON 03 tuners struck even luckier. It is an exceptional sounding IEM. Two of the best.

I was also considering the BLON 03 before buying no. 3 after watching some reviews, but the shape was too distracting for me. So, I just choose No. 3 instead. x)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,540 of 2,251
I am a bass head and I love the TFZ No. 3 for it's great subbass quantity and extension. Very fun sounding signature. And of all the single DD IEMs I own, I gotta say it has the best clarity and details of the bunch. It won't be able to compete in the details segment with dedicated multi BA sets, but it comes quite close.

1) Midbass bleed - I actually like it for warmth to the lower mids but I suspect some may not like it
2) 8khz spike - a bit painful for horns and trumpets and female vocals occasionally are shouty. I occasionally have to turn down volume for female vocals.
3) Quite hissy with some devices, possibly due to the high sensitivity of the TFZ No. 3 - usually disappears with music on, but at slow songs in quiet areas it can be noticable. So far to mitigate this, I use the TFZ No. 3 with an amp.
4) average soundstage

If they could fix these areas, they could be genuine giantkillers. I'm actually turning to my Semkarch SKC CNT1 more for my basshead needs in view of the shouty 8khz peak.

In theory, the King Edition should be that bit of tweaking. Same driver but the King style housing would make the stage larger and the impedance switch could help with the hiss some but depends on how they did it.

Adding impedence to the no. 3 will tighten up the bass bleed and take care of the hiss but can't help the stage size.

Of course TFZ is weird and approach things trying to sell more. King edition is held back so King edition 2 can be better same as with No.3 and and King III. I had the King III and they put the N52 driver in there so the midbass was better tightened up and they had a large stage with the larger King style housing. So, what would King Edition leave out for the King Edition 2. As a consumer you always have to ask what is TFZ leaving out in planning for another model which is annoying. The only brand that ever topped Vsonic for different editions of a driver. The new king of tweaks. Be really cool if they gave us a $150-ish best edition of a driver with some switches and tuning filters and just let us tweak instead of them but. Right now, after the slew of Graphene powered models, with the "diamond" driver they have Monica, King Edition, No.3 and No.3Ti, King III, Queen LTD., and King edition 2 coming. Too many to even hear enough about and make the right choice.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,541 of 2,251
I was also considering the BLON 03 before buying no. 3 after watching some reviews, but the shape was too distracting for me. So, I just choose No. 3 instead. x)

The TFZ No.3 is very efficient and is well driven by phones and DAPs alike. It is easily driven quite loud and it's exceptional if you like clear and present bass. Midrange does not sound recessed. Some owners talk about bass bleed, but both the source and IEMs/Bud tips may contribute to that and I have not noticed it. There are more detailed BA driven IEM's but for a DD IEM the No.3 hs plenty of detail and it's no coincidence that the No.3 is so highly rated

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,542 of 2,251
The TFZ No.3 is very efficient and is well driven by phones and DAPs alike. It is easily driven quite loud and it's exceptional if you like clear and present bass. Midrange does not sound recessed. Some owners talk about bass bleed, but both the source and IEMs/Buds may contribute to that and I have not noticed it. There are more detailed BA driven IEM's but for a DD IEM the No.3 hs plenty of detail and it's no coincidence that the No.3 is so highly rated

I couldn't agree more with you, no. 3 definitely one of the best iem to date in it's price range, for me

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,543 of 2,251

4) average soundstage

great info have you compared this to tfz the king pro? thats for my the biggest question n3 or king pro!! for stage and bass and SQ! thanks

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,544 of 2,251
Luck? TFZ has been making well tuned earphones for years. the S5 was my first foray back into IEMs and it blew me away. At the time I was listening primarily to the oppo PM-3 and the S5 made me sell it and dive ears first into IEMs.

The bass on the S5 was something I'd never heard before. It was one of my top moments in this hobby.

The E5, King pro and tequila 1 I own are all great. I haven't had a new TFZ since the king pro, but it's high time for me to grab either a no.3 or t2pro, or god knows whatever the newest king is called, but I can say with certainty that TFZ knows exactly what they're doing. Luck isn't in the equation, it's called skill.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #1,545 of 2,251
great info have you compared this to tfz the king pro? thats for my the biggest question n3 or king pro!! for stage and bass and SQ! thanks

Sorry I haven't heard the King Pro. Maybe the others can answer about the King Pro, but whatever the case, the TFZ lineup generally is known for excellent bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back