The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
May 16, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,021 of 2,251
My review on the TFZ King II.:stars:
Definitely an upgrade from the Exclusive King. Enjoy and happy listening! :dt880smile:

Is there a new version of the TFZ X1? Asking 'cos the product I've seen on AliExpress and Massdrop looks entirely different to this one. Also, does anyone know how the sound quality is compared to the Sabbat E12?

May 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,022 of 2,251
Is there a new version of the TFZ X1? Asking 'cos the product I've seen on AliExpress and Massdrop looks entirely different to this one. Also, does anyone know how the sound quality is compared to the Sabbat E12?
Hi, did you quote the wrong post. The picture shows the King II, not X1. :)

May 16, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,024 of 2,251

Seems so. Penon started carrying a TFZ X1E recently. They still have the X1 listed as well but $10 more. Outside of a new red color not sure of the difference.

After a little checking it seems to be the X1E has a dynamic driver and not armature like the X1.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #1,025 of 2,251
Seems so. Penon started carrying a TFZ X1E recently. They still have the X1 listed as well but $10 more. Outside of a new red color not sure of the difference.

After a little checking it seems to be the X1E has a dynamic driver and not armature like the X1.
Okay, thanks. So does the X1E have better bass than the X1?

May 19, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #1,026 of 2,251
Maybe depends on what better is for you. Most likely these E version came out for a reason. Single armature powered TW may have good sound if you sit there in a quiet place but not sure I want one for outside against traffic, wind, and people noise. I would say they would be the better choice for me cause I am sure the extension for the dynamic would win and the because the the bass cancelled out against real world noise would make the armature struggle for presence out in the real world. Of course this is w/o hearing either so only some real reviews comparing the two could give a real impression of which has better bass but how many do you think we will see. Sure we will see reviews of the X1E but not sure how many we will see comparing both. A long wait for that if it were to happen.

Anyhow, got the King III in.
upload_2019-5-19_13-0-46.png

upload_2019-5-19_13-1-18.png

upload_2019-5-19_13-1-47.png

upload_2019-5-19_13-2-4.png

First I am really liking the sound but not the fit. Recently reviewed the Meeture MT3 and they did the housing very well. This shape of the King III is inferior for fit and the connector bend does not work for me. Straight up works better since it allows them to turn counterclockwise or towards my back and makes them fit better. I do actually like the stock cable other than that though.

Sound isn't what I was guesstimating by the few reviews impressions I read. Not as warm and bassy as it seemed. I actually am using the stock cable and even the Simgot bass enhancing tips which give more bass than the stock red tips(clear and red included; red are bassier). Still adding bass through EQ setting. Like I said two of my three little players are neutral leaning.

Too bad they are my first TFZ so I can't reference any other King model for ya. They are quick and tight and articulate. Bass is the best I have heard recently. Very tight and well balanced. Last two phones I can put the bass up against are the Simgot EM2 and Oriolus Finschi. Think the King III has the best bass edging out over the Oriolus. I thought my EM2 was clean sounding and had some treble but King III makes it sound darker and treble light. Mids are well done and right up front. Certainly W-ish and not sloped down like I was thinking they would be.

Am letting them burn in. They are quite impressive technically out of the box. Won't think I'll have to swap cables for sound but might have to for fit issues.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,027 of 2,251
So, been testing out the King III and found that they are not very stable. Easy to drive but not stable signature-wise. My Oriolus was stable kinda needed more treble most of the time. Pairing with something brighter was good. MT3 is a good generalist and sounds good with everything. King III takes the bright signatures of two of my Chinese players and amplifies that. Then I tried out out with my last remaining Sony Minidisc player and it took that bassier with tamer treble signature and boosted that to be a treble lacking bass beast. There is the King III I read about!! I have a nice little JNN M9 player with a signature in between and it really can't boost that in any direction since it is in the middle and it sounds kinda just right with it. Starting to sound like Goldilocks and the three bears here. :) Just not pushing a signature onto devices but the other way round. The plan of quite bassy plus bright equals just right was the wrong theory. They take the player sig and push it more in the same direction it was the real world result.

Not good to be that way at all. Last test was to pull out the impedance trick. The trusty old P to S Ety. know it well and what it does. What would it do here. Bang Minidisc with 75ohm added is bassy still but more controlled and a nice dose of treble comes out to play. With brighter players and 75ohm added the treble drops and some bass comes out to play. Much better. Happy to have figured the King III out some but not happy to have to use added impedance with it.

So, have to say so far it is kind of a b*itch to work with though it can be a good performer and the driver has potential. So, a heads up that these could be troublesome :frowning:

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #1,028 of 2,251
TFZ TxBearB-700x700.jpg
TFZ-TxBearB-80x80.jpg
TFZTxBearw-80x80.jpg
TFZ-TxBearw-80x80.jpg
TFZ TxBear box-80x80.jpg

TFZ has Just released a new IEM called TFZ Tx Bear 3
Specification

Driver: 3BA (Knowles CI-22955 + ED-29689X2 )

Technology:2 way crossover

Imdepance:14ohm

Sensitivity:115db

Passive noise reduction:26db

Frequency range:20-20khz

Plug type: 3.5mm straight plug

Cable length: 1.2m

May 30, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #1,033 of 2,251
I am thinking about trying a budget TFZ iem for easy listening at work/office. Narrowed the choices down to T2 Galaxy or My Love 2019 limited edition. The T2 Galaxy seems to be mildly v-shaped and i have read some reviews but there are no reviews yet about the My Love 2019.

I've read some reviews and measurements about the King Pro and specs say The My Love 2019 uses the King Pro driver. How similar would the My Love 2019 and King Pro sound ?

May 30, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,034 of 2,251
@audio123 is the TFZ No.3 Ti. a upgrade over the tfz no.3 ti which is better? I read the review but which one is better for you because u said TFZ no.3 was the best tfz iem at this date?

another thing does the TFZ No.3 Ti have a spacious soundstage with lot of air ? do you recommend this for mainstream listening ? and lastly is it easy to drive from smartphone..

thanks for your impressions...

May 30, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,035 of 2,251
@audio123 is the TFZ No.3 Ti. a upgrade over the tfz no.3 ti which is better? I read the review but which one is better for you because u said TFZ no.3 was the best tfz iem at this date?

another thing does the TFZ No.3 Ti have a spacious soundstage with lot of air ? do you recommend this for mainstream listening ? and lastly is it easy to drive from smartphone..

thanks for your impressions...

IMO, i would recommend some of these TFZ IEM,
- TFZ no.3
- TFZ King Pro ------------> may or may not easy to drive due to its 60Ohm Impedance
- TFZ Galaxy T2
- TFZ Secret Garden 3 ------------------> May be expensive
- TFZ Secret Garden 1-------------------> may be expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back