The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #256 of 2,251
@B9Scrambler Yeah, thanks. And they don't excel in the soundstage size that much over the B400 etc. in any big way??

I'd have to pull them out for a comparo but from memory the Tequila 1 has a larger sound stage than the B400. I find the B400 pretty average in that regard. It excels in imaging, layering, and separation, where I think few iems can compete with it. None that I've heard at least.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #257 of 2,251
got a pair of the exclusive 1 , really like them

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #258 of 2,251
I'd have to pull them out for a comparo but from memory the Tequila 1 has a larger sound stage than the B400. I find the B400 pretty average in that regard. It excels in imaging, layering, and separation, where I think few iems can compete with it. None that I've heard at least.
Interesting. My king pros are out of commission now but it'll be interesting to see how the compare to the ibasso it01 as well. It sounds like they win on soundstage but might be a tad disappointing overall. Massdrop had an estimated ship date of tomorrow so hopefully I can get them soon, and get my king pros fixed. Is guess that if there are really soundstage improvements over the king pro here, that the version 2 of the tequila, or incorporating it's design into other pairs will really be the benefit of them.

Of course, we shall see! That's what keeps this exciting after all.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #259 of 2,251
I agree 100%. They're the best I've heard in that regard as well. It still surprises me at how technically proficient they're for the price. I apologize for getting off topic somewhat ,but feel more people need to be aware of the B400.

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #260 of 2,251
I agree 100%. They're the best I've heard in that regard as well. It still surprises me at how technically proficient they're for the price. I apologize for getting off topic somewhat ,but feel more people need to be aware of the B400.

I was considering getting the B150 a little while back. Just the single BA ones. The only BA IEM I ever had was the Ortofon eq-5, and that was an interesting experience to say the least.

Not sure if I'd have the patience to save up for the BA200, especially since I wanna try the iBasso IT01 as well. Man the list is never ending. damn

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #261 of 2,251
I was considering getting the B150 a little while back. Just the single BA ones. The only BA IEM I ever had was the Ortofon eq-5, and thatbefore, ,n interesting experience to say the least.

Not sure if I'd have the patience to save up for the BA200, especially since I wanna try the iBasso IT01 as well.
I've not heard anything from Ortofon before, but can definitely recommend the B150, B200 and the B400,depending on your sound preferences. You can find the original B200 (black and without removable cable) for 60-80 bucks at times. They're another highly underrated iem in my opinion. If you have any questions about any of the 3 Brainwavz iem's I've mentioned, you can pm me and ask me anything at all, and I'll do my best to help. I don't want to derail this thread.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #262 of 2,251
I've not heard anything from Ortofon before, but can definitely recommend the B150, B200 and the B400,depending on your sound preferences. You can find the original B200 (black and without removable cable) for 60-80 bucks at times. They're another highly underrated iem in my opinion. If you have any questions about any of the 3 Brainwavz iem's I've mentioned, you can pm me and ask me anything at all, and I'll do my best to help. I don't want to derail this thread.
Best ba iem I heard was the zero audio doppios

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #264 of 2,251
Best ba iem I heard was the zero audio doppios
Mine is etymotics.. still stands one single ba driver. MD+ is now with local shippers let's see if etymotics still stands...

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #266 of 2,251

Ah man the Ortofons were super nice, pretty unique design too. Sadly didin't fit me very well.

eQ5-01.jpg

eQ5-01.jpg

I've been a fan of Brainwavz for a long time already, reviewed some of their products.

For single ba you can try the earnine en120

They look interesting, the cable looks like it might be a pain in the back though.

I wonder what a comparison between EN120 and B150 would look like.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #267 of 2,251
Well so far it's been one week and tfz hasn't responded to my emails. Wonder if the seller, lend me ur ears, can help.... Otherwise I guess I open them up and try to fix the bad connection myself.

Also got the notification that massdrop shipped the tequila so hopefully I'll get that on Monday or Tuesday. I've listened to the it01 a lot this week due to lack of the king pro, and my impressions are still holding that the king pro is just a bit better.

If tfz doesn't respond, I'll have to carefully consider further tfz purchases...

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #268 of 2,251
Brief update, no response from TFZ still, but support from lend me ur ears is great and has agreed to replace them within hours of me contacting them(more than 60 days since my order).

So.... The lesson learned here is to buy tfz from someone you trust, and I now trust lend me ur ears. My tequila is supposed to get delivered tomorrow finally from massdrop.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #269 of 2,251
Just got the tequila from massdrop. It's early in the breaking in process, they sound good but so far the fit is terrible. And they did misspell resolution on the ear pieces. Whups!

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #270 of 2,251
I just received my pair of King Pros (from Massdrop) and have been listening for a few minutes using the included (silicone?) tips. I may need to do a little tip rolling to find something more suitable, but at first listen, it sounds a tad bright (tizzy). As these are dynamic drivers, has anyone found them to benefit from physical- (as opposed to "brain-") burn-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back