The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #1,846 of 2,251
Thank you for replies :)

I actually want to go completely wireless/minimum wire. But the Bluetooth amp seem to not fulfil my need as I still need to carry the whole wire around.

So a bluetooth cable seems a good option for me, what do you say?

In that case why not go for TRN BT20 / BT20S? And you have no wire at all. They will change your no 3 into TWS and sound quality is decent. I used to pair my BT20 with no 3.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,847 of 2,251
In that case why not go for TRN BT20 / BT20S? And you have no wire at all. They will change your no 3 into TWS and sound quality is decent. I used to pair my BT20 with no 3.

Yeah I used to pair the BT20/20S with the No. 3 but it hisses like a snake (not sibilance but a hiss due to the high sensitivity of the No. 3). It's not that obvious in noisy environments or when music is playing but in quiet music it is quite apparent.
I think it doesn't pair that well with highly sensitive IEMs, though the BT20S has more hiss than the regular BT20.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,848 of 2,251
Yeah I used to pair the BT20/20S with the No. 3 but it hisses like a snake (not sibilance but a hiss due to the high sensitivity of the No. 3). It's not that obvious in noisy environments or when music is playing but in quiet music it is quite apparent.
I think it doesn't pair that well with highly sensitive IEMs, though the BT20S has more hiss than the regular BT20.

right, I forgot to mention with no3 you have to take note, they are picking up hiss. with older BT20 hiss are audible in quiet environment, but as the music starts, they aren't audible. and older BT20 already have enough power to drive low impedance No. 3. newer BT20S, have better buttons, sweat proof and APTX codec and bigger power but they are more prone to hissing with sensitive IEMs.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,849 of 2,251
I am also getting hissing sounds when I connect the No.3 to my phone. And the comfortable volume I listen is way lower than other earphones I use!

Thank you for the response about BT20, but I don’t like the chance of losing one of the earphones haha. Maybe I’ll postpone my purchase until I find a better option! :D

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #1,850 of 2,251
Yeah the DM-480s have much wider soundstage width and better technicalities than the TFZ No. 3. Better isolation and timbre is thereabouts. Both have an upper mids spike typical of CHIFI tuning, but it is more harsh on the TFZ No. 3. Bass is of better quality in accuracy and speed (though lesser quantity) on the DUNU DM-480.
My DM-480 arrived and I can say these are really nice.
I like the bass, just the right amount.
Way better than TFZ T2, My love 2019, S2.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #1,851 of 2,251
My DM-480 arrived and I can say these are really nice.
I like the bass, just the right amount.
Way better than TFZ T2, My love 2019, S2.

Good to hear (no pun intended), glad to see you are enjoying it. I actually like the DM-480 more than my TFZ No. 3 in terms of bass quality and speed/accuracy. It is not as basshead in quantity, but that's something I can live with for a tighter bass.

The DM-480's actually my daily transit IEM now, cause of the superb isolation. I missed my train stop a few weeks back using it, as I couldn't hear the conductor's announcement with it on. Unfortunately ever since it came along, the TFZ No. 3 has been getting less eartime, that's how fast the CHIFI industry moves nowadays.

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #1,852 of 2,251
Good to hear (no pun intended), glad to see you are enjoying it. I actually like the DM-480 more than my TFZ No. 3 in terms of bass quality and speed/accuracy. It is not as basshead in quantity, but that's something I can live with for a tighter bass.

The DM-480's actually my daily transit IEM now, cause of the superb isolation. I missed my train stop a few weeks back using it, as I couldn't hear the conductor's announcement with it on. Unfortunately ever since it came along, the TFZ No. 3 has been getting less eartime, that's how fast the CHIFI industry moves nowadays.
I like the soundstage as well
Very wide

Do you feel sibilance?
Or to be shouty?

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,853 of 2,251
I like the soundstage as well
Very wide

Do you feel sibilance?
Or to be shouty?

So as not to derail the TFZ thread, we can discuss this further in the dedicated DUNU DM-480 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-dm-480-dm-380-impressions-thread.920370/

But, nope I don't hear any sibilance or harshness in the upper mids/lower treble for the DM-480 unlike the TFZ No. 3. Both sets have a boosted lower treble/upper mids, but the harshness is worse for me on the TFZ No. 3. In fact I don't really like female vocals, horns and trumpets on the TFZ No. 3 cause of some peaks in the tuning. Maybe u can ask others who own both sets like @DynamicEars and @RikudouGoku for a second opinion and comparison though.

(Caveat I'm in my mid 30s and have been playing in a band for 20 years and can only hear up to 15 kHz, so maybe my hearing health is not in the best shape, but FWIW I'm treble sensitive and don't like harsh treble most days of the week).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,854 of 2,251
So as not to derail the TFZ thread, we can discuss this further in the dedicated DUNU DM-480 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-dm-480-dm-380-impressions-thread.920370/

But, nope I don't hear any sibilance or harshness in the upper mids/lower treble for the DM-480 unlike the TFZ No. 3. Both sets have a boosted lower treble/upper mids, but the harshness is worse for me on the TFZ No. 3. In fact I don't really like female vocals, horns and trumpets on the TFZ No. 3 cause of some peaks in the tuning. Maybe u can ask others who own both sets like @DynamicEars and @RikudouGoku for a second opinion and comparison though.

(Caveat I'm in my mid 30s and have been playing in a band for 20 years and can only hear up to 15 kHz, so maybe my hearing health is not in the best shape, but FWIW I'm treble sensitive and don't like harsh treble most days of the week).
I agree, the DM-480 sounds much more refined across the range to me.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,855 of 2,251

nope, they are very much safe from shouty, especially on chifi/harman peak 3khz, they are very safe, they have boost around 5-6khz but they are not harsh, adding crispiness and perceive clarity overall and good extension on crash/cymbals. On higher notes also they are sibilant-free

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #1,856 of 2,251

It appears at high volumes and it's not that noticeable.

And sorry everyone,
I will go to the right thread :)

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #1,857 of 2,251
It appears at high volumes and it's not that noticeable.

And sorry everyone,
I will go to the right thread :)

There's a phenomenon called the Fletcher Munson Curve: https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/fletcher-munson-curve/
It may affect some IEMs, whereby if u play music at louder volumes, the percieved music becomes more V shaped (ie bass and treble is percieved to be more prominent). While at lower volumes, it is percieved as more U shaped. So that may explain what u are experiencing.

Of course the treble amount we percieve is affected very much by our treble preferences, hearing health, ear tips, source, and possibly cable (for cable believers). And also environment (usually in noisy places bass is first to be lost, so that may cause the treble to sound more prominent).

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #1,858 of 2,251
There's a phenomenon called the Fletcher Munson Curve: https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/fletcher-munson-curve/
It may affect some IEMs, whereby if u play music at louder volumes, the percieved music becomes more V shaped (ie bass and treble is percieved to be more prominent). While at lower volumes, it is percieved as more U shaped. So that may explain what u are experiencing.

Of course the treble amount we percieve is affected very much by our treble preferences, hearing health, ear tips, source, and possibly cable (for cable believers). And also environment (usually in noisy places bass is first to be lost, so that may cause the treble to sound more prominent).
Nice article and totally agree

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,859 of 2,251
The Aliexpress Anniversary sale is now on. And there's apparently a special deal in one of the shops, "Fragrant Zither Pro Store", where if u add $9.90 USD with most purchases, they bundle along a My Love Edition IEM. Good time to pick up something for those that want a TFZ product.

Personally though, I'm probably gonna skip out on TFZ gear for the coming few months. Most of the TFZ tuning seems to be a one trick pony (ie bassy with U/V shaped tuning). The economy doesn't look very good cause of the coronavirus, and TFZ gear isn't that cheap compared to some of their competitors, with great competition at the $30 - $150 CHIFI market. So I have to be a bit more discerning and try not to get any more sidegrades in sound signature.
Though if TFZ produces something good or different along the line, I'm always open to consider them again.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,860 of 2,251
The Aliexpress Anniversary sale is now on. And there's apparently a special deal in one of the shops, "Fragrant Zither Pro Store", where if u add $9.90 USD with most purchases, they bundle along a My Love Edition IEM. Good time to pick up something for those that want a TFZ product.

Personally though, I'm probably gonna skip out on TFZ gear for the coming few months. Most of the TFZ tuning seems to be a one trick pony (ie bassy with U/V shaped tuning). The economy doesn't look very good cause of the coronavirus, and TFZ gear isn't that cheap compared to some of their competitors, with great competition at the $30 - $150 CHIFI market. So I have to be a bit more discerning and try not to get any more sidegrades in sound signature.
Though if TFZ produces something good or different along the line, I'm always open to consider them again.

Hmm, could be a case of my old ears again but I love my Queens and the Secret Garden’s are no slouch but as you say they tend to be more $$$ than your average KZ, I’m ecstatic that K-Bear finally released a sweet 16 core for the Zithers because IMO it’s a marked improvement over the TFZ cables. Not too mention the non-pre form really let’s the Zithers lay nice over the ear which helps maintain a killer seal (as always right tips for your ears a must):wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back