The forgotten sennheiser HD600s
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
The 600 looks like its been left in a damp basement for years and grown some mould.

LOL!

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
By the way I prefer the marbled finish, to that of the 580 & 650.

I'm inclined to agree. By comparison the 650's look rather gaudy. But then, to each his own...
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrydog
I love my HD600s.
You guys who obsess about the marbled look crack me up. Is it a fashion accessory or a headphone?

Oh, I can quote myself, the rare opportunity...
icon10.gif

They [pieces of decoration] add shape to our individual worlds by their mere presence and functionality.
Moreover, the less complicated and demanding attention the better they blend in, forming a coherent,
comfortable and functional surrounding that, due to a lack of potential conflict, fails to depress or
annoy. This is true for every piece of furniture or decoration or tool. The sole purpose of decoration is
to uplift the spirits and stimulate the eye, to add appeal and beauty. From this point of view, every
object we surround ourselves with becomes decoration to a degree, and decoration that is "pleasant ...
to have about" is perfect decoration.

...therefore the looks of our Headphones can become quite a substantial issue, even if I myself said above that one cannot see them while in use, and we have every rigth to criticize their looks. Especially if as in this case, looks and other qualities are incoherent.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #35 of 72
I had the HD600 for over a year (which is longer then any headphone I owned) sold it because I wanted to try the HD650. Sold the 650 and now I'm back to HD600. IMHO, HD600 is the best Senn headphone until they come up with somethig better

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #36 of 72
HD600 is a great headphone, but it would be even better if Sennheiser produced a stronger cable for the 600/650. I've been through two already. I just order one from them and the orders are backed up by over six weeks.
blink.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
HD600 is a great headphone, but it would be even better if Sennheiser produced a stronger cable for the 600/650. I've been through two already. I just order one from them and the orders are backed up by over six weeks.
blink.gif

You can check out Thomann.de, maybe they have them in stock. But what are you doing to your cables? I use my HD600 in bed & regularly fall asleep using them, so they are prone to see their share of abuse - yet I have zero sign of cable damage.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgnome
Just sold mine this week.
mad.gif

Preferred it over the 650, but Ive decided to join team Grado. The RS-1 is just too tempting.
icon10.gif

yeah..I have both..was thinking getting rid of my 600 when my 650 arrived..but one more listen and I changed my mind...>LOL....can't get up the courage to part with it.....I seem have this bad habit of keeping everything I bought.. bad..bad...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think HD650 is def better of the 2...but if I don't A/B ..and really who AB all the time?....I enjoy 600 just as much....so my 600 is now officially my office cans....YEAH!!!

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Whoa, since when was there a drought?? I knew the 701's were undersupplied but AKG and Beyer too?

Yup. The new DT880 is hard to find in stock, and Sennheiser's production has apparently been affected by a fire or something. So the 595 is also hard to find right now.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Yup. The new DT880 is hard to find in stock, and Sennheiser's production has apparently been affected by a fire or something. So the 595 is also hard to find right now.

Only because the pricing mechanism is slow to react.
tongue.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #41 of 72
I was recently wondering why the 600's have been marganalized as of late as well. There are so many exciting new headphones coming out from AKG, Beyer and other companies that we've forgotten a true classic. Part of me is glad that there are great new products coming to the marketplace that have been able to overshadow the 600's but at the same time I find it unfair in this hobby how some models are quickly put aside to make way for the new kid on the block. However, it is this stage in a headphone's evolution that is critical to its ultimate survival. If the can is truly worthy it will survive the trends and ultimately remain in our collections and most importantly plugged into our amps and on our heads.

The 600's hold a special place in my heart. They were the first headphones I wore and thought, 'I don't have to be in my dedicated listening room to enjoy music anymore.' The most notable thing about them is their completely and utterly natural sound and dynamics. The midrange was phenominal and the bass was impactful but never to a fault. Higher frequencies were also bitingly accurate especially on lightning fast guitar solos where you want to hear every nuance. The soundstage was great w/ the Cardas and despite what kind of music I listened to, the 600's seemed to never skip a beat or fail to impress.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Oh, I can quote myself, the rare opportunity...
icon10.gif

They [pieces of decoration] add shape to our individual worlds by their mere presence and functionality.
Moreover, the less complicated and demanding attention the better they blend in, forming a coherent,
comfortable and functional surrounding that, due to a lack of potential conflict, fails to depress or
annoy. This is true for every piece of furniture or decoration or tool. The sole purpose of decoration is
to uplift the spirits and stimulate the eye, to add appeal and beauty. From this point of view, every
object we surround ourselves with becomes decoration to a degree, and decoration that is "pleasant ...
to have about" is perfect decoration.

...therefore the looks of our Headphones can become quite a substantial issue, even if I myself said above that one cannot see them while in use, and we have every rigth to criticize their looks. Especially if as in this case, looks and other qualities are incoherent.

Like I said, you guys crack me up!

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #43 of 72
I will be the first to admit I do prefer somewhat bassier sound of HD-650. While HD-580 (which I assume to be on par, or sonically very similar to HD-600) sounds very pleasant with tons of air, but the 650 has a much lushier and fulfilling sound. Perhaps not as natural, but definitely more euphonic to me. Still, its good to have an alternative for a change every once in a while, and I got K701 coming (hopefully) in the near future

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

You guys who obsess about the marbled look crack me up. Is it a fashion accessory or a headphone?

Heehee. Yeah, when I'm in the bathroom with my rig blasting my tunes and looking at my cans in the mirror I am disgusted by the marbling.
k1000smile.gif
Viva la HD600!

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05

They're the same drivers, IMO headband material is close enough so that it doesn't make a difference, the only thing that separates the two is the grills. I did notice a slight change when I moved to the grills, but it was so long ago I can't really describe it. Less boominess and a little more airy-feeling, if that actually means anything.

If you can get the grills (~$10 for me IIRC), I don't see a reason to pay more for the HD600.

Aren't the 600 drivers better matched than the 580 drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back