The forgotten sennheiser HD600s
Mar 15, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #17 of 72
RNB: What do you consider "modded up the kazoo"

I do like my HD600's but they play third fiddle to my K340 and SR325i.
340smile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
hd5802.jpg

like that?
smily_headphones1.gif
the 580s still didnt sound too hot. But to be fair my 600s are modded up the kazoo. The headphones just have so much potential

Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

They're the same drivers, IMO headband material is close enough so that it doesn't make a difference, the only thing that separates the two is the grills. I did notice a slight change when I moved to the grills, but it was so long ago I can't really describe it. Less boominess and a little more airy-feeling, if that actually means anything.

If you can get the grills (~$10 for me IIRC), I don't see a reason to pay more for the HD600.

Edit: BTW, RnB, you have woodies on your 600, right? I know they tend to help the upper frequencies (or so I think), but how do they affect soundstage?

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
LISTEN ALL, HERE'S THE T R U T H: never never never sell a phone until you have gotten the new one you're considering and have listened to them side by side? if all you have in the bank account is enough for a new pair of phones, you shouldn't be spending it!

Wise words. I am ready and willing to buy one of the headphones I really want....I just didn't realize we were going through such a drought phase. AKG, Beyer, and Senn are having serious supply-end problems.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Wise words. I am ready and willing to buy one of the headphones I really want....I just didn't realize we were going through such a drought phase. AKG, Beyer, and Senn are having serious supply-end problems.

Whoa, since when was there a drought?? I knew the 701's were undersupplied but AKG and Beyer too?

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I don't have to remove the foam either. The 650 went in the wrong direction IMO!
icon10.gif

After posting about the treble I just did that last night...what a difference! I have to wait until I'm properly amped to judge, but the 650s without the foam might give me the combination of highs and full sound I'm looking for.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #26 of 72
Team defoamed HD600s all the way!
600smile.gif

I am currently bitten by the new phones bug, thinking about the AKG 701, an all black Beyer DT990 from the manufacture... but decided I would rather explore electrostats and just keep the HD600. It is not maxed out anyway before I get myself to upgrade the cable. I really like these phones. Super sound, super comfy, super sturdy... super ugly, but I can't see them anyway while I use them.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #27 of 72
Butt-ugly HD600s! See my sig!

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #28 of 72
I finally got myself a representative of the Senn house, a HD580 with 650 cable.

I've been thinking about the other models too, but HD650 is too expensive at the moment for me with all the other great phones in the house and HD600 is just plain ugly!

Although I'm not too concerned about how my phones look like, but that fake marble is just too much. I really like the understated look of the HD580 and I think the HD600 grilles will perfect it. Might as well paint the original grilles with some flashy colour
biggrin.gif

HD580 Jubilees would be nice though, but they are a bit hard to come by.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #30 of 72
The 600 looks like its been left in a damp basement for years and grown some mould.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back