The foobar2000 resource thread
Jul 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

Tilpo

Headphoneus Supremus
[COLOR=606060]Introduction[/COLOR]

I know there a couple wiki's and tutorials around on how to configure foobar2000, but I haven't really seen a resource thread with a list of useful DSP's and plugins. So I thought, why not create one?
If this thread has any success I will create a wiki page as well.

I have created this thread from all the components I use/have used. I know I'm missing a lot, but I don't want to add components I haven't used myself since it's hard to judge their usefulness. Please feel free to suggest components I should add.

For all the UI components I have noted the supported user interfaces (Default = D, Columns = C, All = A, ? = Not confirmed, but probably all). I chose not to include panels UI due to incompatibility with current version of foobar2000.

[COLOR=606060]Setting it up and other guides[/COLOR]

foobar2000 - A Guide To Set Up.
Very useful and detailed starting guide for foobar2000. Must read if you aren't an experienced user yet.​

foobar2000 in Linux.
A thread showing how to get foobar2000 working on Linux. I personally use foobar2000 in Linux. If you're experiencing stuttering playback try disabling visualizations and downgrade to an older version of Wine (I run 1.2.3 myself).​

Title formatting reference
Useful reference if you're writing title formatting scripts. This is for the more advanced users.​

[COLOR=606060]Themes and user interface[/COLOR]

Foobar2000 Appearance Customization Skins Themes Configs.
A good guide showing how to tweak the appearance of foobar2000​

deviantART.
Largest foobar2000 skins source I know.​

Columns UI (foo_ui_columns).
An alternative to the default user interface. Many components work only in columnsUI.​

Head-fi screenshot thread
The screenshot thread here on head-fi. Very useful if you're looking for some great inspiration.​

HA screenshot thread
The screenshot thread on Hydrogen Audio​

[COLOR=606060] Visualizations[/COLOR]

Spheck (foo_vis_spheck) [C/A]
Shpeck is a component which can load and run Winamp visualisation plugins under foobar2000. Plugins capable of running in an "embedded window" can be put into a Columns UI panel too.​

Album art panel (foo_uie_albumart) [C].
Advanced album art display panel for Columns UI. It has modified version which can read ID3v2 tags as well.​

Biography view (foo_uie_biography) [A]
A panel that can display either a biography, album art or artist pictures based on the currently playing track.​

Channel display (foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum) [C].
Channel spectrum panel for ColumnsUI.​

Peakmeter Spectrum (foo_uie_vis_peakmeter_spectrum) [C].
A highly customizable peakmeter and spectrum display panel ColumsUI​

[COLOR=606060]General plugins[/COLOR]

Last.FM Scrobbler (foo_audioscrobbler).
Adds Last.FM scrobbling support to foobar2000​

ABX Comparator (foo_abx).
Allows the user to do unbiased double blind testing between different tracks. Useful for the more inquisitive members.​

Autosave & Autobackup (foo_jesus)
A must have. This saves your configuration at customizable time intervals, which holds up to it's name since it really is a savior when you're working with title formatting scripts and unstable components.​

iPod Manager (foo_dop)
iPod support. Supports scrobbling and advanced synchronization. Does not work on Linux sadly.​

Playback Statistics (foo_playcount)
Keeps track of all sorts of playcount statistics​

Utilities (foo_utils)
Adds a variety of useful commands.​

[COLOR=606060]Taggers[/COLOR]

Discogs tagger (foo_discogs)
A tagger that uses Discogs as its database.​

Freedb tagger (foo_freedb2)
A tagger that uses Freedb as its database.​

MusicBrainz Tagger (foo_musicbrainz)
A tagger that uses MusicBrainz as its database.​

Lyricsgrabber 2 (foo_lyricsgrabber2)
A plug-in that searches for lyrics and puts them in a designated tag. You can then display them using a text display panel.​

[COLOR=606060]Playback[/COLOR]

Monkey's Audio Decoder (foo_input_monkey)
Adds support for .APE files.​

TAK Decoder (foo_input_tak)
Adds support for decoding TAK files and reading embedded album art from them.​

ASIO (foo_out_asio)
ASIO playback. Bypasses Windows drivers for bit-perfect playback. Dependent on soundcard support.​

WASAPI (foo_out_wasapi)
WASAPI playback. Bypasses Windows kernel mixer and mutes all other sounds for bit-perfect ouptut. More popular than KS and ASIO.​

Kernel stream (foo_out_ks)
Kernel Stream playback. Bypasses Windows kernel mixer for bit-perfect output. Muting of other sounds is soundcard dependent.​

[COLOR=606060]UI panels[/COLOR]

Playback Queue Viewer (foo_pqview) [A].
Puts the contents of the playback queue in a specific playlist.​

Queue Contents Editor (foo_queuecontents) [A].
Displays the contents of a separate panel. Also allows for easy editing of the queue.​

Quicksearch panel (foo_quicksearch) [A].
A panel that allows quick searches based on all sorts of tags and criteria, and then puts the results in a playlist.​

Text Display (foo_textdisplay) [D].
Useful component for displaying text based on title formatting scripts. Can be used for displaying lyrics.​

Waveform Seekbar (foo_wave_seekbar) [A].
A seekbar that displays the waveform of the playing song. Very pretty and useful.​

ELPlaylist (foo_uie_elplaylist) [C].
Highly customizable playlist panel for ColumnsUI.​

ESPlaylist (foo_uie_esplaylist) [A].
Playlist panel with support for grouping items (e.g. by album). My personal favorite.​

Panel Splitter (foo_uie_panel_splitter) [C].
A pannel splitter plugin that is very customizable. Allows support for using backgrounds to panels, but can take some effort to set up.​

Playlist Manager (foo_playlist_manager) [?].
A panel for managing all your playlists.​

Winamp Spam (foo_winamp_spam)
Allows the user to run Winamp plugins in foobar2000​

[COLOR=606060]DSP's[/COLOR]

RPGWiZaRD's Dolby headphone configuration.
Very interesting DSP config using Dolby headphone. I personally use this as well, and I even like it with speakers.​

Crossfeed (foo_dsp_xfeed)
A crossfeed plugin, similar to bs2b, but I like this one better.​

Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural (foo_dsp_bs2b)
A crossfeed plugin. In my opinion less good than xfeed.​

Dolby Heapdhone Wrapper (foo_dsp_dolbyhp).
Adds support for the Dolby Headphone engine DLL, but the DLL itself is not included. Gives a nice soundstage effect, and is used in RPGWiZaRD's config.​

DSP chain serialization helper (foo_chain_impexp)
Allows for saving and loading (and hence sharing) of DSP chains. Can also be used to create buttons to switch DSP chains in the toolbar. I will add a guide on how to do this later.​

Effect array (foo_dsp_effect)
Adds a plethora of effects to foobar.​

FreeSurround (foo_dsp_fsurround_beta)
Uses a variety of algorithms to find localization cues in stereo music to then convert stereo to 5.1.​

Programmable Reverb (foo_dsp_prvb)
A very customizable reverb plugin. Fun to play around with, and can give some impressive soundstage effects.​

Tube Sound (foo_dsp_tube)
Emulates some of the distortions of a tube amp.​

VST adapter (foo_vst)
Allows use of VST 2.4 plug-ins, which means support for a lot of DSP's.​

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 126
Thank you for putting some additional time wasting information for me to spend on! 
biggrin.gif

I'll be looking to get some of these customizations up hopefully to my liking. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 126
Apologise if this is a wrong question or not. I am using Foorbar2000 with Fiio E10 in wasapi mode. Few days ago, I read somewhere on webpages and I found out wasapi 3,4 beta. What are the differences between these wasapi versions? I am using windows 7. Thanks and this is a nice foorbar2000 thread.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 126
Apologise if this is a wrong question or not. I am using Foorbar2000 with Fiio E10 in wasapi mode. Few days ago, I read somewhere on webpages and I found out wasapi 3,4 beta. What are the differences between these wasapi versions? I am using windows 7. Thanks and this is a nice foorbar2000 thread.

Most likely the differences are compatability/bug fixes/performance. Increasing sound quality or anything like that is simply put impossible.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 126
So in your experience, Tilpo.
Which one should I use between Asio and Wasapi? Fiio E10 supports Asio and Wasapi.
How do I vary my sample rate automatically? For example, especially in my current setting. I set in Playback devices, I have chosen Fiio E10 as a default device, I checked 32, 44.1, 48 and 96, however most of my music tracks are 44.1 but some tracks are 48 and 96. This problem looks like a tricky thing for me because I do not know if Foobar2000 can vary sample rate automatically of not. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 126
So in your experience, Tilpo.
Which one should I use between Asio and Wasapi? Fiio E10 supports Asio and Wasapi.
How do I vary my sample rate automatically? For example, especially in my current setting. I set in Playback devices, I have chosen Fiio E10 as a default device, I checked 32, 44.1, 48 and 96, however most of my music tracks are 44.1 but some tracks are 48 and 96. This problem looks like a tricky thing for me because I do not know if Foobar2000 can vary sample rate automatically of not. Thanks!

ASIO and WASAPI do exactly the same thing. Choose whichever you like.
WASAPI is more popular around these parts, but that is mainly because ASIO is not supported by all sound cards, whereas WASAPI is.

What you should do is always have 96kHz output. Go to the DSP manager and add a resampler (PPHS) DSP, and put it on 96000 (don't enable ultra-mode It does nothing apart from eating CPU cycles). Then make sure the output settings of Windows/foobar2000 are set to 96kHz as well.
This will upsample any <96 tracks, but keep 96 tracks the same. Upsampling introduces no audible distortions of any kind, so there is no reason no to do it.
It does depend on the E10's internals a but, since some DAC's may choose to downsample incoming 96kHz signalsback to 48/44.1. There is no way to know whether this is happening or not without asking the engineer directly. As far as I know this does happen in the E17, but the E10 may be different in this regard.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 126
Jul 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 126
Awesome!

Somehow I missed those VU plug-ins as well! They look and work fantastic!!! They are not accurate though.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 126
Quote:
Awesome!

Somehow I missed those VU plug-ins as well! They look and work fantastic!!! They are not accurate though.

Try adjusting the preamp settings. Go to Preferences > Advanced > Display > VU Meter. You should be able to adjust it so it's not maxing or barely moving.

Mine's set at 12.00 dB and 0.2 s rise time. You look like you have a different style of meter though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back