The fit of Etymotic IEM's in general
Oct 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 19
I have a tough time getting a good fit to stay, but for $100 (including audiologist impressions), Ety offers customs which are soft as well. I may go that route. Other than that the triples for me work best. Gliders work good and are comfortable, but they seem to wear out pretty quickly. 

The HF3's are very nice. Congrats! 

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 19
and thousands more turn to other tips or customs because of ear canal discomfiture.

seriously, though, nice trying to imply that i am the only one out of thousands of people do not find ety triflanges to be the slightest bit uncomfortable. they are the most uncomfortable tips ever designed, and the only reason people put up with them is because it provides a deep full seal (that etys require by design) without having to spend extra on aftermarket tips. if money and wear&tear wasn't a concern, customs >= comply t series (replaced every 2 weeks) > shure olives >> triflanges >>> gliders and all those other crappy tips.

those triflanges have about as much "ease and comfort" as what i imagine wearing a large butt plug would have - and i am sure i am not the one that coined the term ear rapers - no, i picked that gem of a term up from others here.

anyways as far as ety products go: great iems. big fan.

triflanges? they are not so great. i've actually owned everything from the mc5 to the er4s, and i never used the triflanges on any them for more than a day. if you can find them comfortable, more power to you brother - i just know most people don't. thankfully there are plenty of other options to make ety's work just fine.

edit: the ONLY time i will stick triflanges in my ears are when i use the er20 for concerts or watching sports - i won't sacrifice my hearing for comfort in that case. 

Quote:
Quote:
For you, maybe, but thousands of people use the triple flanges with ease and comfort. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #18 of 19
I'd have to say I'm in the group that loved the sound of my ER4S's but I honestly couldn't wear them for more than an hour without getting terrible headaches (and not from fatigue!). Even though I've had those 'phones since 2004 or so, I used them very little. then they came out with the custom fit program. I was pretty hesitant at first thinking that I've tried just about every headphone and none of them fit properly, but after reading a few reviews i decided to give it a shot. about a month after my fitting they arrived in the mail. 

After figuring out how to put them in my ear (it's not easy until you realize the markings are there to show you what ear and which direction they go!) i realized why even the triples gave me such headaches, my ear canals had a strange bend in them, so sticking in the triples was essentially trying to straighten out a crooked line. The custom fits are amazing. i forget that i even have them in there now. just beautiful sound and almost no outside noise. I've even used them while riding my motorcycle (as i normally would wear hearing protection anyway) and just keep the volume low enough to hear the engine at a decent rev. 

I'm really able to appreciate the sound of the ER4S's now and am glad i'm finally getting my money's worth out of them. 

Dave-G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back