The first official Sydney Meet
Aug 28, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 59
wow we have some big names posting in here!
580smile.gif

oh yes, sorry i didnt mention sources or amps. as covenent mentioned, we were a little source short, LOL. I can safely say, however, that the raptor is one beautiful amp. It may cost a bomb, but just holding it in your hands and looking at it, you know immidiately where the money went! the first thing that grabbed me about it when i first listened to it throught my beyers was how dynamic it was, yet very relaxed at the same time. the supermacro was a little more bassy and forced in comparison. I personally didnt like my V.A.L compared to them, but apparently chungsoi and andrew thought it was very good. Jahn, your toshiba did make it to the meet, but the only 'competition' it had, source-wise, were portable ipods and irivers. hardly fair
3000smile.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 59
Firstly, can't thank blackreplica enough for his hospitality and kindness in hosting the meet, not to mention the snacks + drinks he provided. Thanks Kevin, it turned out to be an awesome meet and must say you guys are the friendliest bunch of people I've met!
biggrin.gif

Oh and just to get the record straight, Jahn's fully modded toshiba 3960(Tushi) was there at the meet. Kudos to Jahn, USPS and auspost for getting the timing inch perfect!
In terms of SQ, there was much to like about the Tushi; very musical, none of the digital harsness that is so common with mid-fi sources, and it seemed to present the music in a very nice, non-fatiguing manner. I'm sure others can chime in on the Tushi impressions also. It was unfornunate that there were no other cd players to compare the Tushi with, but I dare say it was the stand-out source of the meet!

Now, on to the Raptor - This was a real eye opener for me. It seemed to synergise well with basically anything thrown at it, and it drove them with such ease, power and precision. It is definitely an amp which demands respect, not just in the powerful sound but also in the incredible workmanship. I particularly enjoyed the sa5000's and rs-1's with the raptor.

Blackreplica's VAL tube/hybrid amp - Nice sounding amp for a relative cheap price. If I had to describe the sound in one word, SMOOTH! It lacked dynamics though.

Sony cd3000 - now the cans that really impressed me on the day.... Very engaging and forward sound, similar to that of the grado's. Hint of brightness/sibiliance in the top end, but good extension and detail. It had a really nice soundstage as well (on par with the DT770's), but the bass was slightly lacking. However with the bass boost on (SM-3), it definitely helped bring out some of the presence and impact that was required. As blackreplica mentioned, hearing Micahel Buble on the cd3000's with the sm3 and bass boost on, was purely insane! Couldn't help notice the huge grins on everyone's faces, not to mention the one on my face! Oh and it felt like having two plush pillows resting on your ears!
3000smile.gif

Sony SA5000 - Ok, now I had mixed feelings about these cans. There was no doubt that this was the most detailed and accurate phones out of the lot. The bass that was there was well extended and of great quality (especially through the raptor), but I thought it was still lacking in impact and presence. This created a bright, somewhat analytical sound overall. With the sa5k's, I found myself trying to analyse and pick out the little nuances in the music, rather than enjoying the music as a whole as I would on the RS-1's.
I can see why so many people enjoy these cans though, but I still prefered the grado's for its bass slam. Not to take anything away from the sony's, I definitely preferred them over the hd650 with stock cable. Oh and the Sony's had great build quality (nothing flimsy about these futurist sa5k's) along with some super sexy accessories!
eek.gif
Made my grado's look like some wooden junk out of the 60's!
rs1smile.gif

RS-2 seems to get very close to it's older brother, RS-1. Slightly less engaging, smoother and more laid-back if you'd like.

That's seems to be what I can remember for the time being. If there's anything else, I'll keep it posted. To everyone that turned up, it was a pleasure meeting you all. You guys set a huge precedent for future Sydney Meets to come, and it was great to be part of it! Great stuff!

Aug 28, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
RS-2 seems to get very close to it's older brother, RS-1. Slightly less engaging, smoother and more laid-back if you'd like.

Hmm...i thought the opposite. I thought that the RS-2 was more forward and brighter than the RS-1. I felt that the RS-1 was more laid-back, had better soundstage, and sounded more natural and well-rounded.

Aug 28, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Hmm...i thought the opposite. I thought that the RS-2 was more forward and brighter than the RS-1. I felt that the RS-1 was more laid-back, had better soundstage, and sounded more natural and well-rounded.

Yeah that's strange...but from the brief listening I did with them, they seemed to lack the dynamics and soundstage of the rs-1's but they were a bit more mellow in the highs. I didn't think there were HUGE differences though, very subjective issue whether the RS-1's are worth $200 more in value. My opinions are biased!
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Yeah that's strange...but from the brief listening I did with them, they seemed to lack the dynamics and soundstage of the rs-1's but they were a bit more mellow in the highs. I didn't think there were HUGE differences though, very subjective issue whether the RS-1's are worth $200 more in value. My opinions are biased!
tongue.gif

The RS-2 has an "in your face" sound that is fun to me. However, for extended listening periods, the RS-1 would get my vote (less fatiguing to me as well).

Aug 28, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
The RS-2 has an "in your face" sound that is fun to me. However, for extended listening periods, the RS-1 would get my vote (less fatiguing to me as well).

You have every right to your opinions.

Aug 28, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 59
I will say, that if there is another and I can afford the trip(if it's not in melb), I'll be there

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
Will be glad to have you over, Jaz
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll even pay your airfare, how's that?
tongue.gif

you're kidding right?
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

You have every right to your opinions, and so do I.

These were demo models at a store, running through a tube amp, so I don't know if these impressions are accurate (ie. I don't know if the headphones were burned in) so I was just wondering if others had the same thoughts.

Aug 29, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Firstly, can't thank blackreplica enough for his hospitality and kindness in hosting the meet, not to mention the snacks + drinks he provided. Thanks Kevin, it turned out to be an awesome meet and must say you guys are the friendliest bunch of people I've met!
biggrin.gif

Oh and just to get the record straight, Jahn's fully modded toshiba 3960(Tushi) was there at the meet. Kudos to Jahn, USPS and auspost for getting the timing inch perfect!
In terms of SQ, there was much to like about the Tushi; very musical, none of the digital harsness that is so common with mid-fi sources, and it seemed to present the music in a very nice, non-fatiguing manner. I'm sure others can chime in on the Tushi impressions also. It was unfornunate that there were no other cd players to compare the Tushi with, but I dare say it was the stand-out source of the meet!!

AWESOME! Uh oh I'm getting seller's remorse...glad you can enjoy the source down under, I hope you give it the grand tour and make sure all the folks there get a shot at the Tushi!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackreplica
Jahn, your toshiba did make it to the meet, but the only 'competition' it had, source-wise, were portable ipods and irivers. hardly fair
3000smile.gif

This puts a warm spot in my ticker. The Tushi always seems to go up against a Meitner or a Meridian or Wadia at the meets I bring it to, so it gets an inferiority complex
wink.gif
But honestly, it has great synergy with my rig ("Pinkie" Solo and any Grado, lol) so I've had some of my best listening experiences with it (and it kicks my ipod's butt too, as you might have notices with your DAPs, hehe!) Enjoy, and make sure Chungsoi spreads the love!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back