The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Feb 25, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #571 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh? what kind of 3.5mm adaptor is it?

Sorry I should be clearer in this case. It is the adaptor cable that with a Female protector plug to a Viablue 3.5 mm connector. And yes, I did order the Twag Balanced replacement cable from Craig as well. Anyway, u can see the pics at the 1st page of Craig's Protector Balanced Replacement thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #572 of 902
I'm going to be nuts and will be getting a TWag Protector > IEM cable, TWag Protector > 4-pin XLR, and balanced IEM > SE adapter to use the TWag cable on other amps. I'll use the money I save from buying a used upgraded DAC instead of a new one.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #573 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by zethanos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I should be clearer in this case. It is the adaptor cable that with a Female protector plug to a Viablue 3.5 mm connector. And yes, I did order the Twag Balanced replacement cable from Craig as well. Anyway, u can see the pics at the 1st page of Craig's Protector Balanced Replacement thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

oh! this is to allow you to use your Protector plug-terminated customs with any 3.5mm input devices like other SE amps and daps. that's a really creative idea! instead of finding adapters for the Protector, you have an adapter for everything else! it kinda makes sense too, cos its easier to convert balanced to SE than to get an adapter that can convert 3.5mm plugs to balanced ( if such a thing even exists) thanks for a great idea, i might consider this as well!

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #574 of 902
Quote:

oh! this is to allow you to use your Protector plug-terminated customs with any 3.5mm input devices like other SE amps and daps. that's a really creative idea! instead of finding adapters for the Protector, you have an adapter for everything else! it kinda makes sense too, cos its easier to convert balanced to SE than to get an adapter that can convert 3.5mm plugs to balanced ( if such a thing even exists) thanks for a great idea, i might consider this as well!

Yup!
smily_headphones1.gif
I having been looking around for options like this since the news of Protector came out, so I won’t need to obsolete my other amps when I feel nostalgic to pair them up with my DAP. : P This adaptor is actually a final push for me why I willing to take the plunge to get the Protector.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #576 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by zethanos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup!
smily_headphones1.gif
I having been looking around for options like this since the news of Protector came out, so I won’t need to obsolete my other amps when I feel nostalgic to pair them up with my DAP. : P This adaptor is actually a final push for me why I willing to take the plunge to get the Protector.
smily_headphones1.gif

you're not the only one. many have been asking about the female Protector plug parts number, so that they can get one and diy their own adapter. that is something that has crossed my mind too, though only fleetingly.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #577 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew.C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there an adaptor that converts 3.5mm plugs to balanced?

You could techincally build one mechanically, it just wouldnt work electronically. You would put both the negative feeds into the ground but it wouldnt work and could possibly hurt the headphones. Though going the other way from a balanced termination to the single ended one is easy by hooking the ground from the sigle ended to both negative leads, which would provide the ground to both the drivers.

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #578 of 902
Quote:

you're not the only one. many have been asking about the female Protector plug parts number, so that they can get one and diy their own adapter. that is something that has crossed my mind too, though only fleetingly.

Hmm i think some of the part numbers if I am not wrong that are show in post 60 of the Protector Impression thread that time. It's included a Mouser catalog screenshot also. Maybe this is useful to those who really into DIYing an adaptor cable for themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...ml#post6332532

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #579 of 902
Could anyone who has the links to all the stockists adapters please list them here? Sorry if I'm missing it somewhere, skipped a page or something.

The only one I can find is the Whiplash Audio one, and I'm not even considering that.

The materials cost $15 or so. What do you think a fair price would be? $30-$50 for labour and mark up would seem reasonable I'd think. That's a profit margin of 100% or more.

Nope - $150.

I understand they've used expensive wire and a wooden y-splitter and so on, and that brings the cost above my stated $15 (which is how much it would cost you or I to make a perfectly functioning one), but I don't need or want any of that.

My ideal situation would be for RSA to make and package one with the amp for a good value price. Since no balanced cable out there sports this termination I would think it would be a pretty essential accessory to offer. Never mind though...

I'm hoping one of the other stockists has something more modest to offer but failing that I'll just have to make my own.

I'm actually going to make some of my own anyway for the fun of it, but would be nice if someone was selling a pre-made one within the realms of a reasonable price.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #580 of 902
Quote:

X2 - nice idea.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #584 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone who has the links to all the stockists adapters please list them here? Sorry if I'm missing it somewhere, skipped a page or something.

The only one I can find is the Whiplash Audio one, and I'm not even considering that.

The materials cost $15 or so. What do you think a fair price would be? $30-$50 for labour and mark up would seem reasonable I'd think. That's a profit margin of 100% or more.

Nope - $150.

I understand they've used expensive wire and a wooden y-splitter and so on, and that brings the cost above my stated $15 (which is how much it would cost you or I to make a perfectly functioning one), but I don't need or want any of that.

My ideal situation would be for RSA to make and package one with the amp for a good value price. Since no balanced cable out there sports this termination I would think it would be a pretty essential accessory to offer. Never mind though...

I'm hoping one of the other stockists has something more modest to offer but failing that I'll just have to make my own.

I'm actually going to make some of my own anyway for the fun of it, but would be nice if someone was selling a pre-made one within the realms of a reasonable price.

Craig's stuff may seem expensive but the price is well justified by his build quality and the materials that he used.

RSA may still be able to include this adapter in the end if there is enough support, like what he did with the Shadow: he created several low profile lod with his mil-spec wires. However, don't expect it to be super cheap in the realm of $30 ( i do not know what you deem reasonable price) and i would expect it to be at least as much as the cost of his lods IF he chose to make such an adapter. he has alot on his hands right now, shipping the Nighthawk and shipping the Protector after that.

Quote:

The female jack is 163-156N-1-E from mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/637/1125.pdf

I'm looking for someone who is willing to buy some and ship to me in Australia because shipping directly from mouser is a minimum $30

sweet. should be getting a bunch to experiment with. think i would probably sell off my early prototypes at cost price. would like to get the mundorf gold/silver wires to complement this but funds are abit tight....

i might be able to ship them to you. PM me.

Quote:

I'm interested Ray!

ray's going to need more information than that, check out how others place their pre-orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back