The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Jan 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #242 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The chips in the Protector have been replaced with much higher quality & much lower input noise, these chips can handle higher voltage swing than 5 volts chips in the first prototype.

The single battery has been replaced with TWO Lithium Ion battery pack, this insures higher voltage needed to drive the HD600 with ease.

The Protector, in balanced config. is a perfect match for any headphones. from IEMs to HD600.

Ray Samuels

That's really impressive.... so sorry to my wallet...
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #243 of 902
Quote:

That is no longer true my friend. A lot has changed since the first prototype picture was posted on the first page.

The chips in the Protector have been replaced with much higher quality & much lower input noise, these chips can handle higher voltage swing than 5 volts chips in the first prototype.

The single battery has been replaced with TWO Lithium Ion battery pack, this insures higher voltage needed to drive the HD600 with ease.

The Protector, in balanced config. is a perfect match for any headphones. from IEMs to HD600.

Ray Samuels

Mr Samuels how is it going to compare to the ALO RX as far as power and dynamics , a lot of headfiers think that the rx is much more powerful than the shadow and with better dynamics and sound quality. Also do you think that it would be worth for me to get my er-4s rewired as a balance headset?
Thanks Cesar Gutierrez

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #244 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by che15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr Samuels how is it going to compare to the ALO RX as far as power and dynamics , a lot of headfiers think that the rx is much more powerful than the shadow and with better dynamics and sound quality. Also do you think that it would be worth for me to get my er-4s rewired as a balance headset?
Thanks Cesar Gutierrez

He's a Member of the Trade (MOT) and not allowed to compare his products to other manufacturer's products. Nor should you expect someone else to do that in a thread Ray paid for.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #245 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by che15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Cesar Gutierrez

Sorry my friend, I do not & will not comment on other manufacturers products. The Shadow is not a weak amp. It has 250ma of drive per channel, with best specs in noise & dynamics. But the chip is designed for low voltage only. because of that the battery is limited to max of 4.2 volts, beyond that it will clip. So it has been made clear that the Shadow was not designed for high impedance headphones as it can not swing the higher voltage needed to make the high impedance cans shine. But don't take it the wrong way, the Shadow is a powerfull amp with pleanty of gots to drive the phones that was designed for.
Ray Samuels

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #246 of 902
As Ray has mentioned, try it with phones it is meant for and you will enjoy MUSIC. With the JH13 pros or the Gold Turbine Pros, or the PortaPros or my Ultrasone Ed. 9 or. . . . it sounds great and a joy to tote around. I have some home amps but I also enjoy having it here at home, convenient and musical. And that is what it is all about.

This is in reference to the above post on the Shadow.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #248 of 902
How does the Shadow compare with the Protector for use specifically with IEMs? Since these are both RSA products I gather this is a valid question..

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #249 of 902
Quote:

Sorry my friend, I do not & will not comment on other manufacturers products. The Shadow is not a weak amp. It has 250ma of drive per channel, with best specs in noise & dynamics. But the chip is designed for low voltage only. because of that the battery is limited to max of 4.2 volts, beyond that it will clip. So it has been made clear that the Shadow was not designed for high impedance headphones as it can not swing the higher voltage needed to make the high impedance cans shine. But don't take it the wrong way, the Shadow is a powerfull amp with pleanty of gots to drive the phones that was designed for.
Ray Samuels

Sorry about that Mr Samuels as you can see I am a rookie with this website, did not mean anything wrong with the shadow as you may know I have one and I love it , could not be happier with it it even make my high impendence er-4s play great , I can hear the difference between the er-4s and my other low impendence headphones volume wise but it works very well with my 100 ohms er-4s. My questions was more about your new balanced amp being more powerful due to the dual batteries like the rx.
And I wonder if you think that my er-4s are good enough to be worth of your new balance amp if I get the rewired. Like always you are great communicating with your costumers as well as designing beatiful sounding equipment.
Thanks

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #251 of 902
oh man.... that's really fast.... i was hoping that ray can hold off till canjam 2010 but i'm guessing he could start the pre-order as soon as next month. this sucks as my wallet can't handle another big audio purchase so quickly.

on the other note, the black one looks standard, nothing particularly awesome, but the white one is really really beautiful.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #253 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1ck3y /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray, why not use 3.5 mm 4 pole plug and socket?

Becuase the one I found is much better & won't give any problems in the future. The one you are talking about has four leaf spring contacts. With some use they will fail making contacts with the cylindrical shaft that can by it self get dirty & cause many problems.
The connector on the Protector is a PC mount. The best of the panel mount connector you mentioned, requires four wires soldered to it & with ugly big nut on the face plate.
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back