The Final Frontier? electronic (music) recommendations
Jun 21, 2008 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dutchess of York

100+ Head-Fier
Up to this point I feel like ive had the opportunity to experience every (general) genre of music, except electronic music. Not that I have been avoiding it, but I dont have any reference point, or even concept of what separates good from bad (except my ears).

So, im enlisting head-fi to introduce me to the last dark area (last big dark area) on my musical map. Any recommendations are welcome, and if you can help me understand the sub-genres of electronic music, that would be very helpful too.

thanks

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 7
For help with genre's, try browsing Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music, Allmusic, and Wikipedia in that order. As for where to start, boy that's like asking someone where to start with Rock or Jazz. One would receive a thousand answers, all worthy. Here's my short list of big, accesible, influential, starter albums.

Kraftwerk - either Autobahn, Radio-activity, Trans-Europe Express, The Man-Machine, or Computer World. If there is one "must" on my list, Kraftwerk would be it. Their tone stretches into House, Electro, Synth-pop, Hip-hop and so much more.

FSOL - ISDN - a album that channeled the 90's "heady" downtemp zeitgest through a fusion of genres. The Trip-Hop breakthrough for art class heroes. Step back for Dub, forward for Bristol.

Juno Reactor - Shango - part goa, world, cinematic techno, club...enjoyment of this accessible album will lead one ito the world of trance, club, and psy arts.

Plastikman - Musik - the quintissential Techno album. One can hear the rotting gears of industrail Detroit in its cold passage and follow the vein to the progressive producers who preach the minimal and micro sound in Europe.

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csilla Allat Szuletett - current gen culminated experimental electronic music at its most focused and intense. The "see if you can handle the possibilities of the broad genre' selection. If so, trace back and forward through the world of Drum n Bass and Glitch.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 7
'Electronic music' isn't really a genre in the ways that other genres are. Whereas most genre names more or less categorize the sound, 'electronica' merely characterizes the method of generating the music, but doesn't have any provisions for the sound. A lot of people mistakenly believe that electronica is the 4.4/135BPM dance music that many people have had some exposure to. However, it encompasses everything from deep, dark, menacing ambient to syrupy new age instrumental to frenetic 200BPM IDM.

I've been listening to electronic music for over a decade and I am still exploring the regions within it. It can't be 'experienced' by listening to a few famous albums.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 7
This dragged me in:

tbu.jpg

Still exploring and getting my feet wet in the genre. I'm liking it.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 7
The Future Sound of London (ISDN album as previously recommended) or their side project The Amorphous Androgynous (Alice in Ultraland is my favourite - very psychadelic) are well worth a listen in my opinion. Also Flukes album Risotto and the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack are always on my iAudio X5L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back